• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

City And Midland Arcades

Lovely memories and lovely hats. I still have mine, worn just once, I really don't know what to do with it.

Shortie

I used to work in St Phillip's place, but park in Dale End. I often used to see the car coming to pick up the owner up from the shop. A large Jaguar, either dark blue or black, with the registration HAT. The owner was part of the Rex Johnson family, and for some time before the shop closed, there was a display of jewellery in there with the hats. I think it closed about 2002.

Shortie

Hi Sy;via: I do remember those woven labels and how they had to be sewn into just about everything that went to school with us. When my children went to school you could order a bunch of labels with their names on and then use a warm iron to adhere them to clothes, etc. That was a great improvement. Didn't always get away with not sewing for then came the Cub and Brownie badges!

This is an interesting thread and I can not ever remember being in this arcade or knowing about it, even though I used Union Passage frequently from Martineau Street. The frontage photo’s on New St post #1 and the view on Jennyann’s post #4 do not seem to be the same place although the entrance is very similar. I can’t think that the frontage would have been remodeled in that time. There may have been two entrances on New Street and if you look at Phill’s post #6 and zoom in, you will see two similar entrance arches with different frontage…columns and small domes and bay windows somewhat. The second arch is to the left of post #1 but not far enough to have been where I knew the entrance to Union Passage was.
I suspect that the second arch ran diagonally and connected with Union Passage further up and Phill’s post #11 first picture, I think may be the entrance in Union Passage and if it was there I must have walked by it many times and not noticed. That location just feels like Union Passage to me…can’t think why…maybe the narrow quarters.
If this passagerie all linked up I don’t know. Interesting.
Maybe this was all before my time and the bomb changed it all.

I have seen a photograph, some time ago, and I could not fathom the photo out, because it had got a junction in it. It took me a long time to find out that what is there now is only part of what was. I think it went two ways. I don't even know where I saw the photo, but it could be one of my mother in law's. I will endeavour to find this after I have got my weekend stuff sorted. We have a church 'do' and I am baking..............................................

The first two pictures on Phills Post #11 are the same place one just inside and one just outside and looking in the same direction. The writing on the glass faced arch at the far end says CITY ARCADE and what you see beyond must be New St. It is only a short passage whereas other posted pictures of New St passage seem to be longer. The arch at the other end is eliptical which would be the case if looking at it from a diagonal viewpoint. Did someone say that there was an entrance to New St Arcade from High St. also.

This map may be of use when trying to visualise where the arcades were.
Moss.

Attachments

• City Birmingham Arcades.jpg
    City Birmingham Arcades.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mossg, just looking at the referenced City Arcade entrance on Jennyanns post #4...the passage seems to be at an angle to the street and since the photo is looking down the arcade, the entrance arch seems eliptical. The only place that this occurs on the map is in Union Street close to Corporation St (noted in the text) so I would have thought that this entrance is in Union Street. It seems like the oposite view to Phils post #11. The lettering on the arch windows is identical but reversed. So that the views on Phils post would be looking towards Union St/Corporation St just visible through the windows; and it is not New St as I thought.

Amazingly this little length of City Arcade still exists (as Phil said) much the same as it was from Union St to Warwick Passage. I always thought that Union Passage ran from Martineau St to New Street but it seems that it became Warwick Passage part way along. Nice to know that a few things still endure.

I just found this snippet of info on the net, it might clear up a couple of things. City Arcade ran from Union St to New St, it was cut into by Union Passage/Warwick Passage and had an island at its junction with Midland Arcade that ran from High St.

I also found a few other photos of City Arcade / Midland Arcade.

Phil

CityArcade7.jpg
CityCityArcade3.jpg

CityMidlandArcade-CityArcadeJunction.jpg
CityMidlandArcade.jpg

HighStMidlandArcade.jpg

That first photo, Phil, is the one I had seen before. Oh what a shame it is not there now, what an elegant arcade it was.

Shortie

Shortie,

I thought that might be so, I also have to agree with you that it was a very elegant place. Perhaps if Birmingham had not suffered so much under the hands of the Luftwaffe then perhaps Herbert Manzoni would never been allowed to finish off the job.

Phil

Phil, I don't know a lot about bombing during the way, but I know New Street was hit, hence the Big Top, so did the arcade get ruined then - and was it all, except the little bit we see now, ruined? I won't mention Manzoni, I don't like what happened to Birmingham post war, so I shall just keep my mouth shut on that one!!!!

Shortie

Hi Shortie,

I don't know a lot about the war myself as I'm too young myself (only a cuddly 63). I have read loads and been told even more. From all I have learnt and the photos I have seen basically it made a bit of a mess of Birmingham. Yes City Arcade & Midland Arcade were part of the Big Top Site.

I also agree the less said about Manzoni the better, but I have to say that in my opinion he swept away a lot of beautiful buildings that could have been reinstated. But that wouldn't have suited his plans.

Phil

Phil what wonderful photo's of the arcade. The one of the entrance is great I have been looking for one for ages. I was asked if I could locate one for friend. Would it be OK for me to save this photo please. Wendy

Hi Phil, I was born in 1947 too, so have seen and heard about the same amount as you. I don't live in Birmingham any more, but I was born and raised there. I did not know how far the Big Top had reached - I know that Boots always referred to their store as Big Top, but totally unsure of how far the damage had gone. It's a pity they did not reinstate that elegant walkway, though. Manzoni is not the only one who caused havoc though,in the name of progress. The library and the Gt Western Hotel and also Queens Hotel - what a disaster the new station has been. do you remember that wooden walkway with wooden steps down to the platform with that glass roof? I have wonderful memories of that, as I used to go to Cheltenham a lot to visit relatives. Anyway, I must stop now, I am getting all upset!!!!

Shortie

Wendy,

You know you do not have to ask, if you want it take it.

Shortie

Don't get upset, it's no good you upsetting yourself over things we have no control of. I sometimes think that Birmingham City Council won't be appeased until every building older than 50 years has gone.

Phil

Phil, brilliant information and photos - as always!
Thank you for sharing them with us - I have walked past/down the little bit that is left many times and never could have imagined it once looked as big and as beautiful as this - what a shame it is not still there.

Polly

Wendy, the entrance is still there on Union Street; just as in the old photo. If you GE it someone has posted a current photo. Maybe someone could take a picture of the current far end in Warwick Passage if down that way.
Great pictures that very few remaining now saw in their youth.

Picture taken last weekend from Union Street entrance.

Attachments

• City Arcade.jpg
    City Arcade.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
I must walk around with my eyes shut sometimes. Thank you for the info Rupert and the photo Mossg. I am glad it's still there but have to say the original looks nicer.Why do they make old buildings renovated look so pristine and take away the character.

Ha Ha it looks that way!

I still love the old photo's of the New Street Arcade though.

Great picture mossg, so sharp. I don't know Wendy, I can do without the black patina. I dont know how accurate the color is but I don't remember having the opportunity to see what was under the old grime. I thought that the chandelier inside looks the same as in the old picture.

Great photos mossg - it is great when we have old and new taken in the same place to compare.

I notice the WE CAN WIN poster on picture 1 - in reference to the City of Culture - unfortunately we didn't win - it went to Londonderry, NI.

Never mind

Polly

It's easy to confuse the entrances...they all look very similar except the New Street one has no glass in the arch. The small domes at the current Union St. entrance still remain.

I wonder if there is a chance of seeing the second New St entrance and the one in High St. It seems to me that there are a couple of High St photo's on here somewhere that may have a view.

I'm afraid this is the best that I can come up with, but this has to be the entrance to the Midland Arcade on the High St.

Phil

CityHighStCityArcade-1.jpg

I wonder if they were obliged by law to replace these passages as when they rebuilt there was a new passage built that went to the High St from Union Passage you could enter the back of B.H.S.from it, also there was a Millets Army and Navy store there.Dek

Yes it was Phil, two doors away from the turkish baths, but it was then called the city arcade in the directory.
mike

Back