• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Church Road, Yardley.

Yes Dave I did, but it didn't happen when I was there, we bought our house off Mr Lane, our next door neighbours either side were, Kath and Dennis Black and the other side were Stuart and Joan Moseley.

We have iived in Church Road since 1976...our old place was bult in 1896...the three houses (we live in the middle one) was built on land owned by Charles Harvey (who lived in the Lodge to Gilbertstone Grange, and one of the Barrows family, plus a Thomas Ogden Elgood, who then leased the house to his manager George Kiss, who ran his hardware business...they had servants, a position I still occupy for the Mistress of the House...

The vicar of Yardely Old Church, Canon Cochrane, took this picture in 1930...Reynold's Farm, next door, has a nice cow in the front field, and this eventually became some nice post-war semis, and The Croft. The first few houeses of The Croft, as you turn in from the Old Church end, back onto our neighbours' garden, the only detached one to the left of the farm...ours is a semi...

322 Church Rd 1930 Cochrane Sepia.jpg

The houses opposite to us are still going, even older than ours, and the flats next door were on land called "Westfield" the home of Samuel Thornley, the Varnish makers, which then became a school before those flats were built...

Last edited:
Dennis ,I remember the houses you live in and I think some were pulled down many moons ago. Further up towards the Ring "o" Bells they were rebuilt as you can see they are not as old and many of the old big trees have gone since I was a lad, the school was also there when I was young. A girl named Pat Turner used to live in one of those old houses back in 1930-40 she was in our class at Church Rd. Happy memories.
Dave Edwards

Well our three remain to this day Dave...further up towards the Ringers were built some big and more modern semis, including the Guest House pair, and they are still standing too. There used to be larger old Houses like 'The Mount' on the Barrows Lane corner, and next door (Aidworth and Somersby) which were knocked down to build the semis opposite the Ringers...The Mount housed Edmund Challen in 1911, Retired Inspector of Birmingham Schools...

A few old maps, before 1860s and after 1900s, showing our plot plus a few more interesting 'landmark buildings' around the Village...plus a cracking shot of the Old Church and the Grammar School...little has changed...

Yardley 1860 Fowler Map.jpgYardley 3.jpgYardley 1.jpgYardley old Church 2.jpg

Dennis, I don't know where you have obtained these photo's from but they certainly bring back my childhood. The cake shop was owned by Kunzles before Scraggs and the bank next door was Freemans the cycle shop, on the corner was Harper. The bank had a shop at the extreme left which was Jacksons men shop, the son Played for England back in the early fifties I believe, he married the sister of David Davis who lived in Church Rd near to Blakemore. His name was Peter jackson.

Dave

Dennis,

I forgot to say he played Rugger. Have you any photo's of the Swan looking down church Rd side but showing the shops on that side toward Town.
Dave

Dennis, I don't know where you have obtained these photo's from but they certainly bring back my childhood. The cake shop was owned by Kunzles before Scraggs and the bank next door was Freemans the cycle shop, on the corner was Harper. The bank had a shop at the extreme left which was Jacksons men shop, the son Played for England back in the early fifties I believe, he married the sister of David Davis who lived in Church Rd near to Blakemore. His name was Peter jackson.

Dave

Now that IS a coincidence...well before we moved there, after marriage and the sprogs arrived, I lived in Richmond Road, Stechford, a mile way. We backed on to Neston Grove then, where my Albert Road school chum Johnny Finlan lived...he also played Rugby for Moseley and England around the same time as that brilliant winger Peter Jackson...thanks for the historic link...I've been collecting Yardley History since I moved there!!!

Last edited:
A few old maps, before 1860s and after 1900s, showing our plot plus a few more interesting 'landmark buildings' around the Village...plus a cracking shot of the Old Church and the Grammar School...little has changed.

Do you know the significance of the numbers on the fields on map one as I've located my patch!

A few old maps, before 1860s and after 1900s, showing our plot plus a few more interesting 'landmark buildings' around the Village...plus a cracking shot of the Old Church and the Grammar School...little has changed.

Do you know the significance of the numbers on the fields on map one as I've located my patch!

Yes brumgum, they relate to the owners of the land parcels outlined...BUT...I will have to look and try and find the key to who they were....it could be some time....NICE pics by the way...

Last edited:
Dennis,

I forgot to say he played Rugger. Have you any photo's of the Swan looking down church Rd side but showing the shops on that side toward Town.
Dave

I will look some out for you...only have a couple that might be of interest on current file...aerialviews from 1970 of the Swan Island and the Yew Tree...and is this the general view you wanted...? LH side Church Road, from the Swan? Down to the old Mission Hall?

Swan Island   Aerial shot.jpgYew Tree Aerial view 1970.jpgSwan Junction 1934.jpg

Dennis, thanks for the photo's you have posted, the reason I asked about the Cov Rd was there was a remark made about the shops from the chemists on the corner and the shops along that stretch up to the Saddlers and Hemming because after that the shops dropped back, one which was Harris's the drapers where my Mothers friend used to work. I was in Yardley Old church choir when I was a kid and I knew Canon Cochrane as our Vicar, a very nice old gentleman, I did not know he was into taking photo's around Yardley though.<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;Dave

WISH I HAD A BOB for every pint I drank there! I would be a bloody millionaire! Happy days. this and the St Bernards that I understand is still there my favorite watering oles. John Crump OldDRYBrit. Parker. Co USA

Dennis did you ever check up on the lead I gave you on Peter Jackson? There is a Peter Jackson who writes on Rugby in the Daily Mail, I wonder if it the same person.
Dave

Dennis, is in the process of being pulled down or are the tat men taking it bit by bit.
Dave
A team have been taking trees and bushes down for about a week and i think planning permission has been approved to build houses on the site, not before time..

https://connect.birmingham.public-i.tv/document/Former_Ring_O_Bells_Public_House__341_Church_Road__Yardley.pdf

F
urther up the road in the old village on the Yardley Grange Home site they are all ready in the process of building these..
https://kendrickhomes.co.uk/spire-view-overview/

What a great thread. I'm beginning to look into my family history and my father lived above the Barbers shop at 204 Church Road for a while (from 1948) before moving round the corner to Wroxton Road in '52. Apparently it was my great uncles shop, making Mr Hope my great uncle... though our family name is Lewis - I hope to solve this riddle. My dad went to Church Road Infant and Juniors School. It's a shame not all the posted photos are still accessible. I'd love to find a picture of the barbers shop from that time.

If this is the barbers shop I think you are talking about. Billy Haden was the barber, I wnt there all the time, across fron Harding or Harveys bakery.There was a newsagent in that block and a sweet shop. The Causeway is where I was born ar the end by the park, I also went to the school after we move to Moat Lane, this was all in the late 40s early 50s. John Crump Parer, Co USA

I know it was George Hope in 48/49 though he did sell up and move to Margate (presumably selling to Mr Vaughan). I think the newsagents is still there now, though the old barbers is now residential

I think we are talking about a different area. The one I remember was from Moat Lane.going up towards the school on Harvey rd, On the corner of Harvey was an beer shop then up past the school on right, to Church Rd then turn left on Church Rd towards the Swan, The Causeway, then a block of shops across from Hardings or Harveys bakery. I just did a Google road drive and this whole block of Church Rd on the right is gone, Its now a fence for the parking lot for Tesco.John Crump

Nah...they've built two rows of houses there on the site now John......you can see them from my roof (the only photo I have!) .....on the left, past the white cottages...

Church Rd View from my roof.jpg

What a shame. The times Dad and Granddad, uncle Tom took me to that pub. Then down to the Bilton Grange, I do think thats still there? I will be over in August or September to visit my Sis Joan in Hagley, We will be sure to visit my old home 126 Moat Lane. Also went to Cockshut Hill school, thats now a college? Happy days! John Crump now 82 now in Parker. Colorado USA

Back