• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CHRISTMAS

• Thread starter Thread starter Chrissy
  • Start date Start date
C

Chrissy

In the late 50's and early 60's Father Christmas would come up from Aston up Rocky Lane through Nechells. My mum would take me to wait for him, he would come from under the bridge from Aston into Nechells. Now this was almost as exciting as Christmas eve and Christmas day. How I wish I could get thoses feeling back. The sled which Father Christmas rode on was so brightly lit with what seemed like thousands of coloured lights and the music was so loud, but in a blink of a childs eye he was gone, until he came on Christmas eve,with almost every thing I had asked for,I can never remember asking for an orange and an apple but every year he left me one of each. Oh Santa where are you? :'(

Earp am I the only one who Remembers Uncle Holly as he was always next to Father Xmas in the Old Square outside Lewis's
I bet you used to pass me crying in the gutter

Lewis Christmas diplay was the best. I think that father christmas gave all little girls pink plastic slippers when really what we (well, ok me) wanted was the gun with a holster.

The Marston Green Lions bring Santa round the streets here in his sleigh just before Christmas.The loud music heralds his presence and all the Mums bring their children out.A lovely little part of Christmas.

:angel: From another Christmas thread on forum...  'Who Remembers ? '
I still have an Uncle Holly Badge from Lewiss's that a friend gave to me coz, I was the only one in our group who never had one . She went to see Father Christmas and Uncle Holly every year and had lots of them back then. I've lost contact with her over the years, but often wonder if she still has one or if the rolls have been revirsed (Me having one and her not).

Not that good a picture, but the best I have right now...

Chris 

THE LIST OF THE BADGES: all pre date1970.

Mom's British Legion badge, My Girl Guide badge, Noddy & Big Ears, Ash Tray Of the Bull Ring, Union Jack(God save the Queen), World Cup Willie 1966, I Like Cliff, Pepsi, Cow & Gate League, School Monitor badge, BP super plus, ABC Minor 1953(Coronation ) badge, The King Elvis, ABC Minor badge(after1953), Esso Tiger badge, Motorbike badge(can't remember the model of bike), Toy Sheriff badge, Uncle Holly(Christmas)badge, Birmingham Library, Tree Lover's League, School Merit badge(St Nicholas House Bloomsbury St Girls), David McCallum (ILLIA Kuriakin The Man from U.N.C.L.E).

Last edited:
Pom, Even though the photo is small what you put on I can see you have two "Sweetheart" Brooches''
(Two small ones on the top) One is a silver Royal Artillery Brooch the other is a bit to blurred for me to identify
The Uncle Holly Badge if I remember was a green colour ( I am colourblind in green )

Pom do you have a badge that the school Dr would give to children after they had their immunisation?

:angel: No Chris I haven't got one of the ones you asked about. There was a green one with a yellow shield on it, that I once had but it got stolen on a trip to Wales, with my 'Cowboy Hat' that had a number of other badges pinned to it.

Pom :angel:

:angel: Crommie M8 the two at the top are ; On the left A British Legion members Badge and on the right My Girl Guide Badge, a little down to the right (under the ESSO TIGER) is a Motor Cycle with rider badge.

Uncle Holly wore a green hat and coat, with a yellow background.

I never knew there was a roof garden at Lewis. Is that why it was so easy for individuals to jump from the top?

Back