• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas Quiz

Famous 14
(Robert) Mccracken boxer

Kraken is sea monster, Scottish gives Mc and ko is the boxer
Have to say I guessed the surname and that it might be a boxer then looked him up.

For Villa supporters Steve Bruce would have certainly been more at home at St Andrews !

Last edited:
Stumped, at the moment, by the last "famous people" although have solved the "red" letters as the Golden Boys.
Still puzzling over opposites #11 and the remaining areas clues.
However, now looking at the music:
Number 1 Red, red wine by UB40

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
History timeliness
Joseph Hudson invented Acme Thunderer in 1884
Not quite. Hudson made his first Acme escargot whistles around that time. That is true. The Thunderer was a name used by other whistle makers before Hudson. He started using the Thunderer name in the late 1890s. There was even a court case with Alfred De Courcy over its usage.

1884 according to their website...

Yes. Simon Topman can be slightly out with his dates. The name The Acme was registered in 1886. I have The Acme escargots from that date. They are not ‘Thunderers’. What I think he means is Hudson started turning out Thunderer style whistles that year. ie large escargot pea whistles.
I have met Simon and he’s a brilliant speaker.

Yes. Simon Topman can be slightly out with his dates. The name The Acme was registered in 1886. I have The Acme escargots from that date. They are not ‘Thunderers’. What I think he means is Hudson started turning out Thunderer style whistles that year. ie large escargot pea whistles.
I have met Simon and he’s a brilliant speaker.
Based on the choice of dates given in the quiz  and the info on that website I had to give 1884.

Here come the Cavalry, a recap…

Birmingham Areas…

1. No skip and no jump needed here.
(Not Hopwas)

5. Keeps Lassie in….
(Not Dogpool, Sheepcote, Woodgate, Fox Hollies, Penn, Kenilworth.)

8. Idiots but they're ok.
9. Where Jack would keep his mother-of-pearl.
(Not Tenacres)

10. A site to see in Carcassonne.
11. Adventurous nothing more.
12. Jim finish it.
(Not Jamesbridge)

Opposites….

10 Bullmetal.

It looks like it at the moment.

Not as much interest as I'd hoped it seems.
Hope you don't mind me saying but the layout might have put some people off. I am not sure if separate threads might have made it easier to follow.
I printed out the questions separately so I could see them.

Hope you don't mind me saying but the layout might have put some people off. I am not sure if separate threads might have made it easier to follow.
I printed out the questions separately so I could see them.

I don't mind at all. It seemed like a good idea at the time, to keep everything together but probably not.

Back