• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas presents best ,worst ,and inappropriate

I will never forget my best ever Christmas present. Christmas 1950, my parents had just finished paying years of installments for replacing the basics of furniture, since we had been "bombed out" in London. They scrimped and saved and for my Christmas and 8th birthday present they bought me the most beautiful, large doll's pram. It was an exact replica of the full size ones - from someone who worked in a pram manufacturers (I think it was Pedigree). I was in heaven and so proud walking out with it.

Less than 2 months later, one night in February, our shared house caught fire. My parents again lost everything they owned - they were not insured. We were rushed to a neighbour's in our nightclothes. I am so ashamed when I remember the trauma they were suffering, and there was I crying my eyes out that my precious doll's pram was no more. I never did get another one.

My worst? This was one I had on more than one Christmas from my ex-husband. He gave me £10, insisting I told everyone about it, then the next week told me I wasn't getting any housekeeping, so use that £10.

Hope Santa brings all of you presents you will love this year. Happy Christmas.

I am disillusioned, When I was young I used to write a list of what I wanted for Christmas. My dad would then burn it and I watched the smoke go up the chimney. Santa could read the smoke because its all magic I was told. Christmas morning, there were all my presents just as I had requested. This went on until I married and left home. He has never been since. My wife blames me because she tells me what she wants and I put it on the list with mine and burn it as my dad did for years. He totally ignores my smoke and nothing has come from my lists for 38 years. Well thats the end of it for me. From now on if I am still alive next year I will go to the shops and buy what my wife wants so I can be sure she will get it. I can manage with the fact that Santa may not like me, but I really do think he ought to be nice to my wife.

berniew, please, what do you think I am? I didnt eat Rudolph, how could I?

My apologies Stitcher i must have misread the pate tin but 38 years is along time , i have gone 37 myself and i don't eat pate,do you think Santa has something against us devoted couples Bernie

berniew, I did post earlier that I am begining to disbelieve in Santa. It was alright when I used to get a fort and some soldiers when I was a kid but it all seems different now.

Stitcher i'm coming round to your point of view , but have you considered the financial implications, not only of your joint list next year but the previous 38 , i'm going to give Santa at least 1 more try Bernie

I can buy all my things for my ownself but they are not presents then.

My wife came home today with a tiny electric remote-controlled indoor helicopter she got from Maplin's in town. What a fabulous prezzie!! It really flies and is a genuine challenge to control it! We spent a crazy couple of hours until I could (just) get it to take off safely and hover around the ceiling. Tomorrow we're really going to master it! All this fun for less than twenty quid. The downside is that the cat's spotted it and identified it as 'enemy'....

As they say, little things please little minds....

Big Gee

You did very well, Norma! Apart from the crazy little helicopter I got lots of books, CD's (including Dylan's latest - fantastic!) and a wonderful home-made Dundee cake from a friend...all gone now, sad to say, but delicious while it lasted.

Who said Christmas is a thing of the past? This year's been better than ever, and even having flu was a plus-point as I haven't taken the car off the drive for over a week! Great!

Happy New Year!

Big Gee.

PS: I used to visit New Jersey (Noo Joizee) fairly regularly on business when I lived in the USA. Nice state, apart from Newark airport....ooooh dear!

Many people celebrate only New Year...Scots mostly. It was looking as though we might be doing that...mind you...my husbands father's family were Scots. We have not had our usual opening Christmas present ceremony as it were. On Christmas Day the snow as so bad that the only way to keep up with the clearing was to be outside. The guys were too tired at the end of the day. My son was out buying his heart's desire on Boxing Day plus more snow clearing etc. for the both of them. To top it all off we had a power cut last night during the evening. It only lasted an hour but that was long enough for me.

Today same snow clearing although the temps have gone up. So we will open our presents tonight. This is a strange Christmas indeed but we managed ok.
Sounds like people had lots of nice gifts.

Big Gee,

Which part of NJ did you visit. Currently, I live in the central part of the state about 12 miles north of Princeton. I used to live in Kearny, grew up there, which is 11 miles from NYC and practically around the corner from Newark Airport. That isn't the best area of NJ as it is very industrial. Where I live now is beautiful with lots of coutry and a beautiful canal and farms. I love it here where I live and could never live up north again. I've become a country girl.

Norma

Hi Norma,

I worked for a company supplying foundries and most of my visits to NJ were to the Newark area. My recollection is how difficult it was to get to and from the airport because of the roads and the heavy traffic. But should I complain - I lived near Cleveland Ohio, which in the 1970's made Newark seem like heaven on earth....!

Big Gee

Happy New Year to you all.

This year I received a 'Step Ladder' and push button Salt and pepper pots. - what more could a girl ask for. Miriam.

A big thank you to all of you ! I did not get one single present and I have to say it has been most exiting reading all about yours. Because of my age and health it will be a struggle but I am determined to remain alive for another year and see what happens on Xmas 2009.
Happy New Year to you all.

You hang in there, Stitcher me old mate! None of us is getting any younger - this year for the first time I've really been forced to understand what 'getting old' is all about. I'm speaking about getting physically old, of course - between my ears I'm still a wild and crazy youth and always will be.

As for Christmas prezzies, well, when I was a teenager if my December school report was poor (which it usually was) there'd be nothing from my old man. It's how he was. I don't know what he was trying to prove by being that way, but at least I did have the satisfaction of hearing him say something akin to 'sorry' to me, many many years later. Ever since those days I've not been too bothered about Christmas prezzies and just enjoy the food and few days break from routine.

And I'm still having big fun with my tiny electric helicopter!!!

Best,

Big Gee

Big Gee, I will stay alive and give him one more chance to bring me a present. I doubt he will come to me though. I really think Father Christmas was a friend of my Mom and Dad. I dont know if they had some sort of plan or pact but he has not been to me since they died. Its as though the three of them went together. Can you imagine hearing all about other peoples presents and you have non? Then I have to put with everyone wishing me Happy New Fear sorry Year. I am getting old and past it, next year may be my last, how will it be happy? I think I am going to carry on in my usual way and see what happens.

Stitcher
That's terrible, not one present?
What about neighbours, friends and family?
Surely somebody must care about you. I wish I knew where you lived I'd bring you a present.

Stitcher why not try what Norma suggests and treat yourself i know it's not the same but it is something different and keep the faith next year will be much better Bernie

Can I thank you all for the concern you are showing but there is no need. I am used to it now. If I get too close to someone their life goes awry also then I feel worse than ever.

Carol, please dont show me any sympathy. You will make me tearful and I will become a nuisance.

Don't be sad Stitcher, its terrible to think people don't bother.
And please DON'T tell me.....you never had a visitor over xmas?
What a terrible world we live in when somebody doesn't get a gift for xmas????
I would have brought you to our place for dinner and driven you back again........next year eh?

I may not be here next Christmas, you never know. If I am still here and decide to take you up on your kind offer it will almost certainly ruin your Christmas. I advise you to think very carefully before you resereve me a place at your table.

I don't normally do sentiment, but Stitcher has touched me to the quick. I've just seen his embroideries on another thread, and they are wonderful.
It shows that he's capable of something very few of us are, and that makes him a special person in my humble opinion.

As I grow older, I find I miss more and more the things I used to take for granted, especially my family, which has more or less melted away over the past 10 years. It suddenly hits you that you no longer have your mom to turn to for advice or help...it suddenly hits you that you've done your 50-odd years service to Society, and now all that remains is 'retirement'. Or, in other words, thanks for everything, mate, now go away.

I've spent most of today playing my guitar, learning a couple of new numbers (yes, I still perform 'live', even at my advanced age) and my missus has hogged the flippin' computer making a few quid on E-bay, and I'm still trying to get the hang of that pesky little electric helicopter. But thinking about things, what the hell does any of this really matter?

I second Carol's thoughts, and believe me, next Christmas, if I ever come across Stitcher or someone like him, then my door will be open to him and my own problems can go and....you know.

Stitcher, keep talking, please. You have friends here, I can assure you.

Big Gee

Now listen, you are getting to me now. I want you to know I am not serious. Just a warped sense of humour. Although I can always use some more presents I do alright really.
I understand what you are saying though Big Gee. With step brothers and step sisters, I was one of sixteen. All that is left now is two step brothers and one step sister, they are all in their late eighties. I am the only who visits because they cant get about anymore. I had two brothers and a sister and they have gone. I have a very good wife and a son who will do anything for us. In fact I try not to let him know if we have a small problem because he will drop whatever he is doing to sort it out for us. He is a self employed locksmith security type man and I dont like him losing money to help us. If you were all joking, I really like the humour. If you were serious can I thank you for caring. I do the sewing because I worked from my late teens as a bodyguard doorman debt collector. I moved onto Lorries buses and finished as a black cab owner driver. So you see, I have always had to have one eye on my watch and have always been at someones beck and call. It is nice to do what I want, when I want.

Course you haven't, mate. Maybe you took me in a bit, but I ain't offended.

Anyway, it's good to talk for whatever reason.

Best,

Big Gee

Back