• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chance Brothers: Research into this famous company

Hi Last Chance, I stumbled on this site by accident. For your info., my mother (Madge Jones) was the nursing sister in charge of Chance Bros medical centre, Spon Lane, Smethwick until her 2nd marriage in 1966 which was to Edwin (Ted) Richards who was a glass manager @ Spon Lane having sold his family glass business to Chance Bros some years before.
Ted went into farming in Welford upon Avon prior to marrying my mother. He died in 1984 but my mother is still going strong @ 93 years.
Somewhere in my loft I have extensive correspondance between Ted & Sir Hugh Chance as well as hand written formulae for several of the glass processes that were later developed. Good luck with your research etc.

Hi and many thanks for the information! In fact, I was told by Tony Cartwright (your mother may remember him) that Ted might have owned W E Chance & Co. Ltd, which may have been sold to him in 1923 after W E Chance's death (at 99!) This was then sold onto Chance around 1950? I was trying to close down that thread of research so this might help given the correspondence between Sir Hugh and Ted. But if not W E Chance & Co. then it would be very useful to learn the name of your step-father's company.

So if you wanted to contact me off-board, feel free to visit my web site at www.chanceglass.net and send a mail from there. I really would like to see the paperwork you have - there could be some hidden gems!

Regards,
David

Back