• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Certificates General Register Office

janeytg

knowlegable brummie
:confused:HI;

I'm back with another query I wonder if anyone can steer me in the direction of certificates.:rolleyes: My late father in law William Charles Bosward was born 13th February 1898 at 96 Reynolds St Smethwick Staffs, he always called himself a proud Brummie, His parents were William Charles & Harriet Gray Wooldrige Bosward married Birmingham 1897.. Harriet was a widow with two children.

I would like to buy the Birth,Marriage.Death certificates for the above William & Harriet and Birth cert, for my father in law.
Reading some of the posts I see where they say Smethwick did not become part of Birmingham till years later. Can anyone tell me where I might apply for these certificates , Thanks a bunch appreciate all the help you can give me.

Kind regards
Janey,:)

Go to the GRO link below

It is free to register. You can get birth and death certs as PDF which are available to download from the site after about 5 days (they email you) - these are cheaper. Marriage certs have to come via post.
HI Janice;
Thanks a bunch I got onto the site and registered it looks like a great site .I'm ordering the certificates and will let you all know when I receive them and how much info I have now on the Bosward family.

By the By I see I got a message saying my 'threads' were moved to another post site on your forum,can you tell me where and I will then post on the correct area,?? thanks again.

Looks like Canada is about to reopen for business,, no more Covid, eh ?? hoorah,,,
Kind regards
Jane.

Hijacking this thread a little but it appears that the GRO are now offering the option to view a digital image of entries.

Not all are available yet it seems but images only cost £2.50.

More details available on the GRO site.

I ordered 2 online digital certificates last week - the first day this facility became available.

Both certificates were available to view just seconds after I had made payment.

Unfortunately there was a problem with the second certificate in that only the bottom right hand corner of the document (just showing the registrars signature) had been scanned.

I telephoned the GRO who checked and agreed there was a problem. They rang me back within 10 minutes and gave me an e mail address to write to.

Their reply came back that they were going to refund me the charge of £2.50 but this certificate would now only be available as a PDF or a paper copy.

I was very impressed with this service.

William.

Prices appear to have gone up for certificates from the GRO. Don't remember seeing anything advertised about this so not sure when the price rises occurred.

Full Certificate (ordered online) - £12.50.
PDF - £8.00.
Digital Image - £3.00.

I think the price increase was within the last few weeks. I did read about this on one of my genealogy FB groups.

I ordered a digital image on the 1st June which cost £3.00

William.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Prices seem to have gone up at the end of May. (edited as I originally typed June - two minds whether to put "end of" or "start of")
Unless things have changed marriage certs from GRO are only available as certificates. (Unless you are lucky enough to find a C of E church record on Ancestry for example).

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back