• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Catholics

Mary-anne

proper brummie kid
My mother was a catholic but my grandparents, her parents, married in The Parish Church, Erdington according to the rites and ceremonies of the established church which means the Church of England so how would she have been catholic? My father was C of E and and when he married my mother they married in Trinity Church, Sutton Coldfield as he didn't want his children brought up as catholics. If my grandfather was catholic but my grandmother was C of E and they didn't marry in a catholic church would the children still be able to take his religion or vice versa? If they were both catholic they couldn't have married in a C of E church could they?

Mary-anne

To answer your last part of the above question would I htink be yes but not the other way round. It would appear that for some reason you Mother converted to Catholicism which would not have been an easy route to take as an adolescent or adult. However it would then further appear that her love for your father was the greater as if she had married in a Catholic Church then both would have had ot promise ot bring any children up as Catholics. My own father took this promise as more important than did my mother (the Catholic of the two) as he would not let us skip Church of a Sunday though Mom may have been so inclined.

When I was young we were not even supposed to attend non Catholic services even funerals or weddings though we did.

Hope this is of some help?

I was dragged up Catholic too. Mum was RC, Dad C of E. Apparently he had to promise the priest that married them, at St Mary's RC, Studley, that he would bring us up as Catholics. So we all went to Catholic primary school and those of us who failed the 11+, Catholic secondary school too.

Mum was very lax about attending church herself but always went once a year at Easter. Our maternal Grandparents took us kids to church EVERY Sunday, 8am mass; five kids all squashed on to the back seat of a Morris Minor with the promise of sweeties afterwards, if we behaved.

We were not allowed to attend religious services in other churches either. When the head of my primary school found out I was to be bridesmaid at the Anglican church my Mum received a visit from our Catholic priest who tried to pursuade her not to let it happen.

Helen

I was brought up as a catholic and have said before a lot of people choose what religion they want to be and I admire anyone who choose for themselves or go against "convention " people have a freedom of choice not as I was Brought up we may not always have had a choice when younger?as we did not want to go against our parents ? fortunately as we get older we still in this country have a freedom of choice:)if your mother chose to be a catholic then she is to be admired for her courage and conviction:)

Thank you for your replies. My mother didn't convert or choose to be a catholic she was brought up as one and she and her siblings attended a catholic school. I have recently been to the records office in B'ham to search the baptisms in the parish records for my grandmother without any luck so she may have been baptised a catholic and I was told the records are held at St Chads, B'ham. Has anyone searched these records and if so could they tell me how to go about it.

I am researching Coleman, Hobday, Footitt, Lynall, Wilding.

Mary-anne

Now I see my apologies for that I married a C of e Girl in a Mormon church ? and as a good catholic ? it would have been my duty as a good catholic to bring my children up as catholics it was My choice not to ..good luck with your research:)there is a link for St Chads you may be able to find out more from that https://www.stchadscathedral.org.uk/history.php :)

Yes Catholics are accepted in the Church of England – because we recognize their ‘Order of Priests’ - So any child baptized in the R. C Church is welcome and that goes for the Eastern Orthodox too in which are in full Communion. . .

It is the Roman Catholic Church that doesn’t accept our Ordination of Priests, due to the fact Archbishop Cramner during the reformation omitted a few words in the Ordination of Priests in the ‘Book of Common Prayer’ though I believe they have since been put back it has lost its continuum. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back