• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camden Street Primary & George Dixons Grammar

Hi doc,
You are right about there being two Alford brothers. I can't remember their christian names as we didn't use them. We either had nicknames or used surnames. My nickname was 'Dicky' for obvious reasons.
Mr. Bultitude was a young man and his appearance and manner was as you described, I think he was fresh from graduation. I didn't realise that Billington became school captain - he was a brilliant physicist but hopeless at languages.
We had a reunion back in 1983, the 25th anniversary of our leaving GD. It was organised by Peyton and he managed to contact over 30 of our form mates including our form master 'Butch' Winson. It seems like yesterday that we all assembled at the Ivy Bush pub on Hagley Road to chew over old times. I remember thinking that everybody stll looked the same, it was like going back to school after the summer holidays!
This year is the 50th anniversary of our leaving - tempus fugit.

Dicky Bird

G'day Calcbird,

What a terrific reunion that must have been. I suppose it's all part of growing old but I do find myself asking "I wonder what happened to ....".
Was that Mick Peyton by any chance? The name seems very familiar.

Unfortunately the members of our form never really kept in touch. My closecst friend was Micky Cooper and I can remeber an Ashford, Rod Ashman, Mike Pemberton, Chris Crowley, David Russell, David Hirsch and Beverley Griggs.

I'm not sure if it was the Ivy bush but there was a pub on Hagley Road where we congregated after a Saturday morning rugby game. All under age of course but it seemed to be tolerated as long as we behaved ourselves.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Doc.
You mention Micky Cooper as your best mate. Was he a smallish lad, lived somewhere near Perry Barr, Wellington Road way if I remember correctly?
I knocked about with a MC who I believe went to GD.

rocket

G'day, Rocket,

Not sure if it's the same Mickey Cooper I remember. He lived with his parents and younger brother (David I think) in a street off Monument Road. Somewhere the name "Vine Street" comes to mind but I'm not sure. Of course they could have moved but they were still at that address around 1958 - 60. And, yes, he was a rather slight lad. His other friends were Micky Boyle, Micky O'Brien (?) and Tony Dalton

Regards,

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a group school photo of Camden Street 1950ish somewhere in the house, I'll scan and post it when I find it. But don't hold your breath. the doc must be on it somewhere as I was born in 1943, unless you were in a different 'class'. I lived in George Street West till I escaped in 1962, and never looked back till I visited the street while doing a bit of family history in Smethwick archives. Down Spring Hill, Dudley Road, Cape Hill all reminded me of the back streets of Mombassa and Dubai, but still nuff said eh!

G’day, St Bruno

Good to hear from you.

I was born in 1943 and went through Camden Street primary and junior schools. We had many villains at Camden Street but I cannot remember one Saint!! My email address is ejr227@hotmail.com so perhaps you could let me have your name and email address and I will try jogging my memory. Recently been in email contact with a couple of ex pupils – John Howard and Margaret Lee. Do you remember either of them?

Would love a copy of any photographs you have - after well over 50 years the memory is a little hazy

Keep in touch

Doc

I love that photo St.Bruno. I also attended that junior school. From 1949. I'm sure the lady on the right was Miss Bagley, the headmistress.

Re: George Dixons Grammar

I went to all the George Dixon schools (Saxon House, the yellow band on the blazer pocket), and remember most of the masters mentioned above.
I remember Mr. Rumsby telling us of the day a bomb destroyed some of the houses opposite the school during the war, and Mr Walker 'lifting my forelock' a couple of times. Mr Thompson was our chemistry teacher, and ran the model railway club (when the old King Edwards Five Ways school was the GD annexe) and the film society (which introduced me to the Ealing Comedies).
FAP (Mr Percy) taught French and Latin, 'Tom' Long, Messrs Tipping, Sandercock, George, etc.

I've still got the 'year' books they gave us tucked away somewhere, and the pocket of my last blazer!
Hi, I was a Saxon too, from 57 to 64. "A" form was banished to Five Ways in 58. Loved playing soccer and cricket in the yard, was amember of the great cross sounty team that won every race in 63/64, but sadly I got a bad case of flu in the Spring and missed out chance to win the big race in March. Have been in Canada since 1967. Sandercock ran both cross country and cricket teams and taught history.

Back