• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cambrian Steam Train

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
W

Wendy

Here are a few photo's of our trip on the Cambrian Steam Train in Wales. We went from Machyncleth to Portmadog. When the train approached the station two WW2 Hurricane aircraft flew overhead. Two of the carriages were used in the Harry Potter films hence the emblem.The driver was a Brummy it was a wonderful day!

We did that ride two years ago. Worth every penny. Did you go to the alternative energy center?

Hi Mike yes the trip was just wonderful. I will sort some more photo's out! We haven't been to the Alternative Energy Center for several years...must go when we have time!

Actually the Planes on your pictures are "Shorts Tucanos", The RAF use them to train pilots. mind you I can see the likeness !!

An absolutely brilliant journey, very interesting and well wothwhile doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would love to go again. Sorry about the planes never was any good at plane spotting take after my uncle who was in the RAF....LOL

They do look a bit like Hurricanes at a distance, there is one Tucano that was painted in ww2 camouflage last year to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle Of Britain, so maybe it was that one!! Machyynlleth is within a low flying training area used by the RAF and USAF, nicknamed "The Mach Loop".
It is a favorite destination for aircraft photographers who don their walking boots and climb high up on the mountains there , where they are "close up and personal" with the aeroplanes as they come blasting through the valleys. If you Google Mach Loop there are many photos taken there, like this .... https://www.pbase.com/derekslater/image/129471648 and many more!!

Thanks for your reply Wendy .

Bob we have a mobile home in the area and as you say the planes are amazing. We get a lot of jets flying over and an amazing site are the transport planes. I remeber one memorable time we were driving along the top of a valley and a plane flew alongside below us. We often have millitary helicopters fly over to they wave sometimes. My grandchildren love it as does nanny granddad...ha ha.

Really nice pics there Wendy. I think the loco is owned by Ian Riley and sometimes known as the "pocket rocket" unless this year they are using a different loco . Having had a holiday at Harlech a few years back I am quite familiar with the line.

Another reason for taking an interest in your post is that, now dont laugh,:blush: I often drive trains along this line from the dining room!!! A few years back I became interested in the Microsoft Train Simulator and having installed it I then found a plethora of really good "add ones" these are programmes that just use the original MTS as a running platform and they are far better detailed than the stock and routes that are integral to the original MTS, which incidently Microsoft abandoned years ago.

Over the years I have purchased many routes and Im not going to bore you all with the details but the Cambrian is a particularly good programme and has a wealth of detail and covers the route from Shrewsbury or Oswestry and ends up either at Phwelli or Aberystwyth. Futhermore there are around three or four branch lines, Abermule for example and others that I cannot pronounce let alone type!

The rolling stock is appropraite for the time its set in ie steam and has small praries, moguls, manors, ect that all have to be really driven, not just braking and accelerating but using the reverser to adjust the valve travel(cut off) and the water cranes work for topping up the tender. All this from the comfort of the dining room:D

This version, an extended one, had to be ordered fron the States and is known as "UK Cambrian 2 Route" From 3D Train Stuff they do need a PC with good system resources particularly in the graphics area but thay are great fun.

Another that might interest other train buffs here is another route based firmly in the past in the shape of "The Evesham Branch" a long gone route from Barnt Green to Evesham and then on to Ashchurch Glos. Again with appropriate steam locos and DMUs, the latter with 4 speed transmission changed manually:) available from "Making Tracks"

One final route that I will mention is a modern one Birmigham(NS) London(Euston) this time with modern stock either direct or via Northampton, although locomotives from other add ones can be used, so I might have a steam special etc. This route also had an additional add on, so its an add on to an add on!! in the form of the cross country roure from Redditch to Lichfield, all of course under the wires.

Apologies for all this but its well sort of appropriate to the posting, I will noe go and leave others to get the thread back on track(Pun Intended):D

Back