• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Caldicott William Ernest

Shani.

Brummie babby
Thanks for allowing me to join..

I'm looking into my families history around Aston and Ladywood. My Grandfather William Ernest Caldicott born 1920.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Shani. I shall move your post to our surnames interest section and change the heading to “Caldicott, William Ernest”. We also have several threads about Aston and Ladywood which I’m sure you’ll find interesting. Just type these into the search facility (the magnifying glass above right) Good luck with your research.

Viv.

You probably already know that your Gt. grandfather was William Caldicott who married Mary H Vaughan in Birmingham in 1919. There are 11 children's birth registration in Birmingham with mother's maiden name as Vaughan. Dates range from 1920 (William Ernest) to 1941 (Sheila). Do you know if all these children are your grandfathers siblings?

You probably already know that your Gt. grandfather was William Caldicott who married Mary H Vaughan in Birmingham in 1919. There are 11 children's birth registration in Birmingham with mother's maiden name as Vaughan. Dates range from 1920 (William Ernest) to 1941 (Sheila). Do you know if all these children are your grandfathers siblings?
Hi.. Yes I have all of these names on my tree. Mary was know to me as 'Polly' for some reason.
I have traced back further in the Vaughans side and got fairly far.
Caldicotts I've gone back to a very Great Grandfather 'James' being a butcher 1830's in the jewellery Quarter. Great Hampton street. But it's only names between no dates as yet. Thank you

Last edited:
What do you mean by a very Great Grandfather? Do you mean James was your great grandfather's father. So James - William - William Ernest. Have you got access to census returns?

I had an Aunty Peggy, her name was Margaret!

Sorry I should of counted how many Grandfather's back think there's William Ernest- William-George-Harry??name escapes me Then James. I'll have to check the tree when I'm home later.

I have just found your gr. grandfather on the 1939 Register living at 2/51 Ryland Street. I think it may mean 2 back of 51. There is a Florence and a Doris too but the other entries are closed.

I have just found your gr. grandfather on the 1939 Register living at 2/51 Ryland Street. I think it may mean 2 back of 51. There is a Florence and a Doris too but the other entries are closed.
Aww great I knew of Ryland St but didn't know which number. Thankyou. Florence and Doris are his sisters.
I got the grandfather Order wrong earlier.. William Ernest 1920. William 1901. William1874. George1841. James 1811? Who was a Butcher on Great Hampton St..

My Grandfather(1920) was the eldest child of William and Mary Helen Vaughan.
His siblings were:
Jack1922.Rose1924.Florence 1925.Frederick1927.
Joseph1932. Ronald1934. Thomas1938. Sheila1941. There's also Doris but don't have a date for her

Seems to be quite a few records available for your Caldicotts.

Baptism for George 15 Feb 1840 St Phillip's, dob 19 Jan 1840, son of James Coldicott and Emma Coley.

James Caldicott married Emma Coley, 15 Jan 1829 Harborne.

Baptism for James 1 Jul 1805 St Phillip's, son of Robert and Ann Caldicut.

Ann b1771 is on the 1841 census living in Barr St with 2 sons, Edward and Samuel.

Neither of James and Emma's children born after 1837, George or Arthur, seem to have been registered. There is a George Caldicott registered 1839 but he appears to be the son of James' brother Benjamin.

If you look for hints I presume you are using Ancestry. Just to let you know that you don't get everything hinted. I always do a separate search too (search all records) and often find other entries not included in the hints.

I'm using find my past. Hints are useful if they pop up but I am already using the the searches but it's like a minefield of Caldicotts. Thanks

Although Caldicott is s good name you will probably find that it has been spelt quite differently in places. (I live in Caldecote!) It is a matter of trawling through everything until you match something up. If I get stuck and can't find someone I will look at future census returns for the children. Sometimes you will find parents living with children with names spelt completely different. I do a lot of research for friends, one in particular had an uncle who changed his name. I was lucky to find the notice of change of name by doing a general search on Google for him. Don't give up, keep going.

My Grandfather(1920) was the eldest child of William and Mary Helen Vaughan.
His siblings were:
Jack1922.Rose1924.Florence 1925.Frederick1927.
Joseph1932. Ronald1934. Thomas1938. Sheila1941. There's also Doris but don't have a date for her
Hi Shani my Dad was Joseph he was born in 1931. Also Dennis is missing off there, Doris is known as Hackett her husband was Jim.
If you want to get in touch i can fill in a few blanks for you.
Ive just started one myself on MyHeritidge free app.

Back