• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

They don't look very happy.
Maybe they were having school dinners?

NoddKD

must admit although it was in more modern times when i needed to have school dinners i loved them...and the puddings were good as well..i would often go up for seconds so well done farm st school..

lyn

must admit although it was in more modern times when i needed to have school dinners i loved them...and the puddings were good as well..i would often go up for seconds so well done farm st school..

lyn
I have to agree with you Lyn.
I attended four Birmingham schools and always enjoyed the dinners.
One exception was worm (spaghetti) bolonese. Hated that.
I particularly enjoyed the bread rolls that were served with summer salads at Farm Street School.

NoddKD

I think there are far too many employees in the canteen for one sitting and perhaps it was a gathering of all staff together for the purpose of taking the photo. it seems to be all women, (except a very few who could be men, but maybe women with very short hair). Some are very young girls. And at least we know working conditions were good for these ladies.

There was no concert hall then, so the canteen would have been the best place to make announcements to as many staff as possible. At the time theatrical productions and pageants were done outside , often in the girl's grounds.

CADBURYS TASMANIA

Further to Cadbury being in Hobart Tasmania. When I was in my early twenties I boarded with a widow whose husband was an employee of Cadbury. Employees at his level apparently were supplied with a house (or rented from the company) on what was called "Cadbury Estate". I fell out of favour with her because I came home late and didn't wake up in the mornings to get to work! Honestly I'm a changed person these days! :lol: PS - I never got any chockies either.
I visited Hobart in 2004 and tried some of the locally-produced Cadbury chocolate. I judged it to have a different taste from the Birmingham variety. I prefer our Brummy taste, but I'm sure Tassies enjoy their own home-grown Cadbury's taste.

I visited Hobart in 2004 and tried some of the locally-produced Cadbury chocolate. I judged it to have a different taste from the Birmingham variety. I prefer our Brummy taste, but I'm sure Tassies enjoy their own home-grown Cadbury's taste.
Yes, not only are the ingredient's different from place to place but tastes are a little different wherever you go!

Are there transcriptions of the memorials anywhere?

Just added the General Office memorial to the IWM War Memorial Register But it is a poor quality image and I cannot read most of the names.

I never ceased to be amazed at how people can take a picture of a memorial with a handful of names and none (or few) are readable. I regularly take pictures of memorials with many hundred of names and every single one is readable!

Are there transcriptions of the memorials anywhere?

Just added the General Office memorial to the IWM War Memorial Register But it is a poor quality image and I cannot read most of the names.

I never ceased to be amazed at how people can take a picture of a memorial with a handful of names and none (or few) are readable. I regularly take pictures of memorials with many hundred of names and every single one is readable!
Unfortunately that is what many people, that a picture of the object not the subject. And with phone cameras & point shot cameras it is so easy to get right.

Back