• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bus routes (70s and 80s)

A Bundy clock. The base post is missing however.
View attachment 171655

Hi, I'm a newbie. It's been a number of years since I was in Birmingham, but I lived in the city for most of the 70s and 80s. I have a memory of many bus routes, but I wonder if you could fill in my gaps, or confirm my memories? And do any of them still exist? (Please do forgive me if this has been asked before...)

5 / 7 - I seem to remember this went from Colmore Row to the Portland Rd area. I have a vague memory (right or wrong?) that it was 7 in one direction then 5 in the other.

9 - that's an easy one. Out on the Hagley Road as far as Quinton.

11 - the Outer Circle! Is there any more to say? Legendary.

21 (and / or 22?) - all I remember about this one was that I used it to get from Edgbaston (York Road) to the far side of the University. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

35 - for some reason I associate this with the 50 but I can't remember why.

48 - went from the City Centre out by the back such as John Bright Street? and passed through to Balsall Heath, maybe terminating there?

50 - did the Moseley/Alcester Road run, through Moseley and Kings Heath. Did it terminate at Maypole?

61 / 62 / 63 - the famous trio that did the Bristol Road, one to Rednal, one to Rubery, and (I think) one to Frankley. There was a night service on these.

What I can't now remember is which services did the Pershore Road, and which did Dudley Road.

Any confirmation would be greatly appreciated, and if any still exist. My bet would be that the Bristol Road buses, also the Outer Circle, are still there ....
50 bus still going strong same route, terminates just past Maypole at Bells Lane Druids Heath estate. I have used 50 bus since 1985, prior to that lived on Chelmsley Wood East Birmingham. This was served by 97 route through Tile Cross, Stechford, Bordesley Green, Digbeth ending in Carrs Lane by M&S.

There was a plan to extend the Birmingham tram system to the King's Head, Bearwood Bus station.
The Birmingham trams reached as far as the Kings Head on Hagley Road and Bearwood Road at Poplar Road, but both had been replaced by buses long before Bearwood Bus station was opened in 1952 (see photo of the event below).

Bearwood bus station opening, 1952.jpg

I was taken as a child to ride on one of the last trolley buses in Wolverhampton in 1960s as all the Birmingham trams had been replaced by buses.

50 bus still going strong same route, terminates just past Maypole at Bells Lane Druids Heath estate. I have used 50 bus since 1985, prior to that lived on Chelmsley Wood East Birmingham. This was served by 97 route through Tile Cross, Stechford, Bordesley Green, Digbeth ending in Carrs Lane by M&S.
The bus routes I have mostly used
8 inner circle for work
11 outer circle for work
14 to the Mackadown
15 to Whittington Oval
17 to Garretts Green Tech college
28 from Oldknow Road to Fox and Goose
58 / 60 to and from town
97 from Coventry Road to Moorend Avenue

I was taken as a child to ride on one of the last trolley buses in Wolverhampton in 1960s as all the Birmingham trams had been replaced by buses.
I was taken for a ride on a Birmingham tram, probably in their last week of running. I would have been four, but just remember it being very noisy.

What about the 70's the buses that is! From memory, some of them have been tweaked in recent years, but as I remember them:-
70 Oxhill Road Uplands pub
72 Boundary Handsworth border by the WBA ground
74 Dudley
75 Wednesbury
79 Wolverhampton

Back