• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burrows

louloubaby162

knowlegable brummie
Trying to trace Marjorie Doris Burrows born 1932. Father James Burrows, mother Lily Burrows. Lived at some point in Albert Street, Leamington Spa. Possibly was adopted or lived with foster parents. Married Josef Gola in 1956. He was my grandad and he was polish.
Anyone with any connections or if anyone can look up a birth record i would be most grateful.

I think that her father was Arthur James Burrows. May of lived on Marroway Street, No 40.

Does anyone have any information that may help?

Hi there
yes there was an adopted son or its was is step mother i just cannot recall the proper way
it was but he used to tell us either is father got remarried to a woman whom name i cannot just recall but the sons name was stanley went to ickneild street hockley
stanley burrows left home and went to live in south wales monmouthshire during the late fiftes early sixties
and went to school there and a guy by the name of mr keysley took him in as he used to get into trouble alot when he was a kid as he never got on with the father because of the woman being is step mother

Hi Lou,
Bit of info for you,

Marjorie D Burrows married Jozef Gola in 4th Quarter(Oct/Nov/Dec) 1956 register of B,ham Reg Office,
Certificate is obtainable there,, quote Volume 9c & page 540

There is also a Karen T Gola born to them in 3rd Quarter(Jul/Aug/Sept) 1957 register again At B,ham reg office
Mother Maiden name Burrows @ Volume 9c page 261

I would suggest getting these certificates & then building your research on solid facts revealed within,
this way will lead you to addresses that can be Electoral Rolls checking from 1957 upwards.
Good Luck & best regards JohnY

Last edited:
Thanks John

I am extremley grateful for the information, however i have it.

I seem to be hitting a brick wall, when my mother, Karen Gola was very young her mother left her and she has no idea where she went. Until fairly recently we did not even know her name. I obtained the marriage certificate and got a rough date of birth, but can find no birth record. I know her parents were James and Lily Burrows. My mom can remember some parts of information but it's nothing useful!! My mom seems to think that she may of lived in a childrens home but she not positive.

HI LOU
I Tthink you find doris around the area of park rd hockley quarter in 1957 or the father along with the sibbling named stanley he was about 13 14 years old andattendend ickneild st and the more i read the reqeust i seem to remember one of thje lads said is father was polish
also i think it was all saints rd hockley which runs up the back of hockley train station which falls behind lodge rd up to tha all saints school which i think you find a burrows family and i am pretty sure the same applied to stan put in a children homes befopre ever starting main line school
what you havestated in the forum reallly beleives for me to think its the right one i have mentioned
so if some one can recalll burrowsof the hockley qaurter around the flat of lodge rd vecinity i think you will get yor answers and the start
best wishes astonion

The connection i have with the area is that my mom remembers a family friend Mr and Mrs Eatwell, Nellie, she called her Auntie and she lived opposite Winson Green Prison. I looked on 1911 census and found Arthur James Burrows and Lily Burrows living on 40 Marroway street which is not far. The only thing is that they seem to be to old to be her parents? I think i'm stretching it a bit!!

Probably doesn't help much but there is a Wilfred Thomas Eatwell and Nellie Eatwell at 150 Dudley Road, 1945, 1950 & 1955. A Robert T Smith is with them in 1945.

Suzanne

If she was born c1932 then she wouldn't appear on the electoral rolls until aged 21 so for 1955 - Marjorie Burrows 3 Palmerston Road Sparkbrook but this could be the same Marjorie Burrows in 1945 and 1950 at 3 Poplar Ave, Palmerston Rd so it is most probably the same woman and unlikely to be yours.

Suzanne

I think that once again i have hit a dead end. If anyone comes across a Marjorie Doris Burrows c1932. Please let me know.

My mothers side of the family still remain a mystery!

My moms dad was Jozef Gola, he was polish.

His father was Yan Gola, mother Maria? That is a whole other story, they fled Poland and i cannot trace that side of the family!

Don't know if you have details of your grandfather's naturalisation but this is it from the London Gazette dated 26 Aug 1969
NATURALISATION​
LIST OF ALIENS TO WHOM CERTIFICATES
OF NATURALISATION HAVE BEEN GRANTED
List of Aliens to whom Certificates of Naturalisation
have been granted by the Secretary of State and
whose Oaths of Allegiance have been registered in
the Home Office during the month of June 1969.​
The date of each case is the date of naturalisation.
Gola, Jozef ; Poland ; 50 Heathmere Avenue, Yardley,​
Birmingham 25. 17th June 1969.

Suzanne

Hi again,,
Jozef Gola born 1919 (estimated) died August 1989, registered B,ham Vol 32 page 171
If you haven,t already got this certificate it can be useful information, Address & informant etc.

I was told by the courts divorce records are closed for 75 years so given his age the details will not be available. Just a thought have you looked for the death of his first wife?

Back