• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burbury Street

• Thread starter Thread starter RayD
  • Start date Start date
SB_61044483.jpg

nice to see that one back on topsy...that little girl on the crossing is beth a friend of mine...and the lady standing on the right watching her cross is her mom...

lyn

Another one of you oldies lyn, I have run across that crossing loads of times and swund round the balecia beacon , not if i had seen the policeman though, It would have been arms at your side in an orderly fashion.

From the 1949 listing I think the two shops must be nos 13 & 15 Burbury st:
13 Lloyd Miss Jessie, tobacconist
15 Williams Mrs. Mary Louisa, shopkpr

membmm 1950 I haven,t heard of her since about 1964/5 . I remember her house well the record " you got your troubles" The Fortunes was always blasting.

Sharing a couple of pics of Kate Keys father outside his barbers shop on the corner of Burbury St/Defford Rd. You can just see a smidgen of the park opposite

Attachments

• Barbers shop defford rdburbury st.jpg
    Barbers shop defford rdburbury st.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 32
how wonderful topsy thank you for sharing them with us...i should think that mayfield will remember this shop as he lived in defford road..
what i am stuggling with topsy and i remember this so clearly is our mom would send me to a little corner shop to get fresh already scrapped new potatoes which the shop would keep in a big whitish coloured plastic tub of water...its the exact location of the shop that i cant remember...would come out of villa st turn left onto nursery road and then i think right down wellesley st and the shop was just there...it could poss have been on the corner of wellesley st and guthie st...

lyn

Last edited:
Re: Burbury Street Lozells

Hi, i'm writing on behalf of my parents William and Hazel Kelly, (nee LLoyd). My dad is known as Bill his mum and dad were Jessie and Bill Kelly. My dad's brother and sister's names are John and Janet. They lived at 189 Burbury Street, next door to Jefferson Boot repairs. If anyone one remembers them can they contact me....i am dragging my parents into the 21st century, kicking and screaming thought this would be of interest to them.

my uncle and aunt, John and Dot Kelly owned a newsagents in Burbury street. (1961/2/3) It was originally owned by a family called Roberts. It was 183 Burbury Street. The bakers shop was owned by the Pembertons. Then the boot menders and then my dads house number 189. All this information i'm getting from my parents who are very interested in finding out. it would be great to hear from someone who remembers. They also remember the Leesons. My dad used to work at Tennant Service Station in Aston then Bancrofts.

# 184 Asked around a bit Lyn this was a reply off someone I dont know if this makes sense to you. .........."Asked my mom and she seems to think it was out of Wellsley into Angesley and right into Gutherie st, it was on the corner, and we are sure it was called Harry's

thanks topsy from the directions given i would say thats about right....will do some research on it and get back to you if i can find out anymore info

lyn x

how wonderful topsy thank you for sharing them with us...i should think that mayfield will remember this shop as he lived in defford road..
what i am stuggling with topsy and i remember this so clearly is our mom would send me to a little corner shop to get fresh already scrapped new potatoes which the shop would keep in a big whitish coloured plastic tub of water...its the exact location of the shop that i cant remember...would come out of villa st turn left onto nursery road and then i think right down wellesley st and the shop was just there...it could poss have been on the corner of wellesley st and guthie st...

lyn

Yes I remember the barber shop well Lyn - I have childhood memories of having my hair cut there (when I had hair), but my most vivid memories of the corner barber shop include my dad going in there most Friday's (I assume for something for the weekend) and me and my mate stripping the lead off the roof when the shop was left empty for demolition...... Plenty of sweets and chocolate that week if I remember well? Mabz

thought you would remember the shop mabz..looking at those pics of it it was a well kept shop...

lyn
am i right in saying that wellesley street was in between bridge street west and farm street my husband lived at 29 wellesley street next door was a little shop owned by mrs kightley and there was a shop on the corner of Wstreet and farm street there was also a cafe called ASKIES as you turned right out of W STREET into farm street on the next corner cant remember what street that was
josie

FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 006.JPG
lyn
am i right in saying that wellesley street was in between bridge street west and farm street my husband lived at 29 wellesley street next door was a little shop owned by mrs kightley and there was a shop on the corner of Wstreet and farm street there was also a cafe called ASKIES as you turned right out of W STREET into farm street on the next corner cant remember what street that was
josie

morning josie and yes you are quite right...wellesley st started at nursery road went past guthrie st crossed over farm st and ended at bridge st west...

josie i think this pic of farm st may show the shop and cafe..its looking towards villa st...

the road on the left near the lorry is wellesley st and the next road down on the left showing the cafe is ventnor road

i think the group of school childen in the photo are from harry lucas school as i went to farm st school and there was definatley no school uniform there

Last edited:
lyn
thank you so much for a photo that as brought so meny memories back me and hubby spent many hours in that cafe as 14 and 16 years old listening to the juke box and a bottle of coke ( young love ) in 1961/2
a lad you use to go in there went out with a girl who lived in villia street her dad was a police man i remember his name but not hers
do you mind if i copy the photo
josie

lyn
thank you so much for a photo that as brought so meny memories back me and hubby spent many hours in that cafe as 14 and 16 years old listening to the juke box and a bottle of coke ( young love ) in 1961/2
a lad you use to go in there went out with a girl who lived in villia street her dad was a police man i remember his name but not hers
do you mind if i copy the photo
josie

ahh thats great josie..i get so much pleasure posting photos that mean something to folk and yes please do take a copy of it...now back to that lad in the cafe...although i lived in villa st i never went out with a policemans son well not that i can recall anyway lol..

lyn

lyn
haha i should have said the lad in the cafe went out with a girl who lived in villia street i know they used to meet in secret becouse of her dad
josie

lyn
haha i should have said the lad in the cafe went out with a girl who lived in villia street i know they used to meet in secret becouse of her dad
josie

lol josie it wouldnt have been me anyway as up until about the age of just turned 16 i didnt know what a skirt or dress was as i was very much still a tomboy that spent many hours causing harmless havoc around the streets of the old end...happy days...i wouldnt swap them for all the tea in china...oh before i forget that photo show my neighbours house he was delighted to see it again..we were at farm st at the same time but a year apart...

lyn

Last edited:
lyn
i agree i spent my teenage years in BSW and went to harry lucus school
much to mr balis ( school teacher ) living nightmare (poor man)
but like you i wouldnt swop my time living in hockley
where else would i have found someone to marry me as my hubby say he must have been mad to buy me that bottle of coke
josie

lyn
i agree i spent my teenage years in BSW and went to harry lucus school
much to mr balis ( school teacher ) living nightmare (poor man)
but like you i wouldnt swop my time living in hockley
where else would i have found someone to marry me as my hubby say he must have been mad to buy me that bottle of coke
josie

ha ha josie ive always said lots of good things come out of hockley...i do have about 18 other photos of farm st taken in the 60s and one shows the entrance to harry lucas school via farm st....when i have time to sort out the best and resize them i will be posting them on the farm st thread....never thought i would find so many..

lyn

Back