• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring until 1920s

Is that Holy Trinity, Bordesley in the distance to the left of St Martin's? Which would put it after 1822.

Would you have been able to see the Market Hall from this angle? If so and you can't (I'm not sure) then that would put it before 1835ish.

So sorry David, I should have said that. I have posted it elsewhere and said then that John Marks (from whose Old Postcards book this is stolen), clearly got his Market Halls and Stations muxed ip...well spotted...so turn your head and look the other way...first one from 1905, followed by two from the 1940s...more subtle changes...

View attachment 81948View attachment 81947View attachment 81946
The Bull Ring in 1948 photograph, makes me smile. I am 84, and look at the scene, busy, busy, buses and people and still everyone just got where they wanted to go, safely. Now, it HAS to be Pedestrianization everywhere......how did we all survive I wonder? I have to add, I loved it like that.

The planners of towns and cities are men, who shop far less frequently, than women. The result has been a gradual decline in shops in pedestrianised areas.
Pedestrian areas are too relaxing as shoppers tend, on the whole, to enjoy the hustle and bustle of shopping. Hence the favoured, modern, out-of-town shopping areas with with their usually free car parking areas.
Generally out-of-town shopping is rather soul-less being a means to an end rather than a highly charged, adrenalin experience. Yes, it can be exhausting but non-the-less gives a worthwhile feeling.

Back