• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring now Bullring

• Thread starter Thread starter maxwell bullivant
  • Start date Start date
M

maxwell bullivant

Can anyone tell me please when the Birmingham City Council, or whoever have the power to make the decisions, decided to change the name of the Bull Ring (two words) to the Bullring (one word).
Max

Maxwell,

They changed it when the new Bullring was built. I think it was probably a typing error in the first place and when it was realised it was too late.

Old Boy

Can anyone tell me please when the Birmingham City Council, or whoever have the power to make the decisions, decided to change the name of the Bull Ring (two words) to the Bullring (one word).
Max

I suspect that it may be the same numpty who changed The Town Hall to Townhall and changed Rackhams to The House of Fraser

I htought that The Bull Ring is still The Bull Ring area it is the shopping centre that the developers chose to rename.

It was The Bull Ring but now it must be used without "The" and it sounds all wrong to my ears i.e. I am going to Bullring.

This was a subject for discussion of the Danny Kelly show a while back and people were asked to vote and The Bull ring came out tops. Jean.

Bullring is the brand name of the company who own the shopping complex,same as Tesco,Asda etc.
You can apply to Bullring for job vacancies.
Never mind to us it will still be The Bull Ring.

Trying to force people to abandon decades of custom and practice is pointless. I recall when they prettified the Dingles witht carefully laid paths that ignored the one trodden for many years before. People ignored the new ones (in the main) and stuck to the most direct line.

They may as well try sawing sawdust for all the good it will do.

I raised a similar point some months ago re "TownHall". Thes faceless marketing brand image people who are answerable to no-one have the power to change our complete environment without us being able to do a thing. Sutton Coldfield used to be Sutton Cofeld untill someone ( a map maker I think) changed it arbitrarely. In Sutton which is rapidly degenerating into one of Birminghams deprived didtricts, the town centre is a mess. The council cant do anything cos its virtually all owned privately. The Gracechurch Centre is open air but because it is owned privately you cannot smoke even outside.

Don't the power's that be love to show their power? I remember all of a sudden The Prime Minister became Prime Minister Blair. They did away with the 'THE '. So let's keep calling it 'The Bulll Ring' eh?

Bullring Birmingham Yes, when the Bull Ring was re-opened in 2003 it was renamed Bullring. It was created to create an identity for the redeveloped internationally acclaimed shopping centre.This is the response when i asked about the change,it dosen't sound right i'm going to Bullring,i just thought isn't that how they would say it up north :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It will always be the Bull Ring to me. I will write it as that. At least they didn't try and call the Bull Ring a completely different name.

i thought you might like these urban ballet in the bull ring
25297_377018878052_84049133052_3894594_3263960_n.jpg

As I was growing up in the 70's we always used 'Bullring'. I'm currently studying the area during the 1830's and in both official documents and public newspapers, local and national, it is variously referred to as 'Bull-ring' and 'Bull Ring' and 'Bullring' sometimes even in the same document. So the confusion has reigned for many years!

Personally, it will always be the 'Bullring' to me.

HI GUYS
Does it really matter if you include the word the bull ring or just bull ring
its a matter of speech surely its a complete load of nonsence if you asked me
if one states the bull ring , let it be ; its no problem ;
to me its only the highly posh and educated people whom would think we ain,t useing our gramour
and english correctly ;the brummies will always include the word , the bull ring ;
best wishes Astonian ;;;;

I agree in fact i think it sounds silly just saying i'm going to Bull ring,no i have and always will say The Bull Ring

As an outsider, I was always told the name of the Bull Ring came for it being a market area where in years gone by bulls were bought and sold and during sales were tethered to a ring on a post or wall whereas a Bullring was a place where bullfights took place in Spain, Mexico and the like. Carl Chinn is probably the best bloke to ask.

The market in the Bull Ring has played a crucial role in the development of Birmingham from the 12th century until the present day. The most obvious feature here is the church of St Martin's-in-the-Bull Ring.

In front of St Martin's Church was a roughly triangular open space. From at least the 16th century this was the Corn Cheaping. Deriving from the Old English ceapan meaning 'to buy', the name meant 'corn market'. Part of it was known as the Bull Ring, a name which probably refers to bull-baiting. The practice in this country dates from Roman times, but it became especially popular from around 1200. Most towns had a bull ring: it is argued whether this described the place, the arena (cf. boxing ring) or the metal ring to which a bull was tethered. The bull was set on by dogs with spectators betting upon the outcome. The sport was enjoyed at all levels of society: Queen Elizabeth I was a particular enthusiast. It was popularly believed that baiting a bull before slaughter tenderised the meat. The practice was banned by Parliament in 1835.
The Bull Ring - History of Birmingham Places & Placenames A to Y

Maybe they could not trademark Bull Ring but could trademark Bullring (one word).

Being able to trademark a name is very important as you can protect it and stop others using it.

For example McDonalds have trademarked "Big Mac" so nobody else can call their burger a "Big Mac".

My thought is that the common usage of the the name " The Bull Ring " over centuries of use would be enough to protect it from the need to be registered as a trade mark, some may feel that "The Bull Ring" is synonymous with Birmingham and there is no need to trademark protect the cities name. Max

Have just found this cutting from the evening mail in 1981 that claims thta , in fact there was originally both a Bull Ring and a Bullring

bullring_name.jpg

That's brilliant Mike bears out the link i posted see 24,

I am one of the old school. Not only should we have kept the name The Bull Ring but we should have kept it as it was and built the newly developing city around it .
Today it would be a visitors attraction with its cobbled street running steeply down hill from New Street to the church. The many barrow boys, the old lady selling her paper bags and the Market Hall even though the roof had been blown off during the war.

Its strange that the markets department in Birmingham are not using Bullring, but have Bull Ring on signs traders stalls in The Bull Ring . Max

Back