• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring Indoor Market

should not come as a surprise jan...the powers that be have been working for many years to rid this city of its historical history...and so yet more apartments to be built that will most likely lie empty for years...very sad news

lyn

I was horrified but not surprised.
I used to pop in there on my way home from college and buy flowers as a thank you for my Mom. Or sometimes strawberries in season as she loved them. Still that a while ago now.

Not sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it if you feel it would be better somewhere else.
Horrified to see this headline in the Birmingham Mail

That is SO bad! The market is a keystone of the cities shopping history. Reading the article I would not hold you breath on the council doing the right thing based upon previous poor decisions they have made!

Can we be assured that all the open spaces in these developments will be open to all and not have restrictions placed on them by developers, only anyveequired by the local authorities?

The indoor market right next to the rag market is privately owned and is set to be demolished and a block of apartments will take it's place. My wife has been buying her fabrics from a store there and on Saturday owner Hasan informed her they have all had very short notice to leave. This will include the meat & fish stalls and most of them have nowhere else to go. I wonder if the rag market will be next

Last edited:
The indoor market right next to the rag market is privately owned and is set to be demolished and a block of apartments will take it's place. My wife buys her fabrics from a store there and Saturday owner Hasan informed her they have all had very short notice to leave. This will include the meat & fish stalls and most of them have nowhere else to go. I wonder if the rag market will be next
This is where the council SHOULD be stepping in and telling the developers they will not get planning permission for a new apartment block (which the markets area does not need) and that the markets building HAS to stay. Question is of course - when was this piece of land sold in the first place.......

My wife & daughter visited their favourite fabric store at the indoor market on Saturday. The owner told them that the ventilators by the meat section had been blocked up deliberately to cause a smell to put people off going in there as an excuse to close it down. They have to all leave next week and the rag market stallholders have had notice to follow. Apparently an alternative site out by the blues ground is available to rent so that is doomed to failure for a start.
Another part of Brum gone forever and for what? Apartments for the rich

My wife & daughter visited their favourite fabric store at the indoor market on Saturday. The owner told them that the ventilators by the meat section had been blocked up deliberately to cause a smell to put people off going in there as an excuse to close it down. They have to all leave next week and the rag market stallholders have had notice to follow. Apparently an alternative site out by the blues ground is available to rent so that is doomed to failure for a start.
Another part of Brum gone forever and for what? Apartments for the rich

i cant disagree with you izzy...

lyn

Back