• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bromley st deritend

And in 1911 (which you may already know) they seem to be listed as West, living on Great Barr St. An assumed name can mean that one of them was already married.
Regarding this. Florence's Baptism record shows them being at 4 court, 3 House Little Barr Street in December 1911, just 6 months after the census. Did people really move around this much?
1697463278043.png

Regarding this. Florence's Baptism record shows them being at 4 court, 3 House Little Barr Street in December 1911, just 6 months after the census. Did people really move around this much?
View attachment 185169
yes they did kaitlyn....it was very common to move around a lot for various reasons ..ie a larger house or one with better conditions not that many of were that good back then.. also moved to avoid paying the rent arrears because they had not go it ..all they had to do was find an empty property and as long as the landlord was a different one they just moved in hence the saying "doing a moonlight flit" life was very tough in those days...if you did not work you did not eat and could lose the roof over your head

lyn

Last edited:
Some did. How often people moved around was one of the things I was surprised about when I started.

Between 1901 & 1911 I have 6 addresses for my grandfather.

I think the Eliza Jackson, mmn Hudson dies the same year.

As I like strange coincidences I'm hoping it's proven to be Eliza Emily, mmn Connolly because it seems her mother and the mother Emily Winters were both named Jane Connolly (not the same one).
Tracing the Eliza Emily with mmn Connolly (Connerley, Conley etc). Eliza is living at home with parents William and Jane (married as Jane Conley) on 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. However, there is nothing to say she is the Eliza we are looking for.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
hi folks would anyone have any old photos of bromley st please it is off heathmill lane...its only a short street so its a long shot...i have even asked carl chinn and he does not have any and is looking himself for some

lyn
Hi Lyn
I own number 8 Bromley st I’ll check the files if there is anything
Zac

Hi Lyn
I own number 8 Bromley st I’ll check the files if there is anything
Zac
I
much obliged zac

lyn
hi Lyn
My next door neighbours number is 38 which is a industrial unit
It would we have the only building which is the only building left from that era it could very well be this building
If you would like to visit by all means I can arrange for you to have a look

Zac

Attachments

• IMG_9994.jpeg
    IMG_9994.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
I

hi Lyn
My next door neighbours number is 38 which is a industrial unit
It would we have the only building which is the only building left from that era it could very well be this building
If you would like to visit by all means I can arrange for you to have a look

Zac
hi zac the old houses we are looking for photos of are long since gone but thank you for your keen interest..your neighbours grey industrial unit to the left of you and possibly where you are would be roughly where the old houses once stood ..if i do find any old photos i will of course post them on this thread...thanks again...if you would like to find out the history of your building start a new thread under our factories section of the forum..always happy to help

lyn

Last edited:
I took the plunge and ordered 'William Allen's jnr, aka 'William Jackson's, birth cert;

William_Jackson_Birth_Cert_small2.png
The date of birth is spot on for 'William Allen' jnr from my tree (going by the 1921 census and the 1939 Register). The Fathers name is blank, as suspected it would be. The address of 3 Little Edward Street puts Eliza in proximity to William snr, and she's shown as being a 'Screw worker', which is a similar line of work as William snr (Carter in a Screw Factory). Likely that it was a work romance?

I may have stated in a previous post that Willian jnr was the respondent on his mothers, Eliza Jacksons, death cert, where he declared himself as Jackson instead of Allen, yet seems to have used Allen for most of his life.

This seems to indicate what some of you have stated, that William Allen snr is probably his father, but as William snr was married to and probably still living with Emily Winters, the fathers name was left blank. I'm tempted now to order the next two sons birth certs too to further substantiate this.

Interestingly, my Great Aunt Muriel is still alive, she is my paternal grandmothers sister. She knows a lot about the Allen family history, yet for years has refused to talk to me about it. Methinks she knows all about this 'skeleton in the closet', but being old school didn't want to talk about it. I wonder if she will be willing to now that I know all about it? :)

EDIT - I've just noticed that the address on William Allen's & Emily Winter's marriage record show them both living in Little Edward Street........ :D

Last edited:
By the time William jnr was born, Emily had already had a daughter with William Haynes.

Also it appears you can order a digital image for both Thomas and Albert which are only £2.50 each.

By the time William jnr was born, Emily had already had a daughter with William Haynes.

Also it appears you can order a digital image for both Thomas and Albert which are only £2.50 each.
hrmm, ok that confuses things. If William snr and Emily had already split, why wasnt he named on William jnrs birth cert, unless he wasnt the father of course, or Emily Winters isnt the right lady.

I didnt know you could order digital images, I'm not very good at this lark lol.

Last edited:
William Allen and Eliza Jackson weren't married, so I see no problem with the anomalies with the birth registrations. You find many strange things in these cases and they're not always consistent as in your case.

I think everything we've said about William Allen, Emily Winters, Eliza Jackson and William Haynes and their children is correct as far as we can tell.

I didnt know you could order digital images, I'm not very good at this lark lol.

If you are using the GRO, once you find the record you want and select it then your options appear, which if available will include 'digital image' and you click on it to select...

0 - GRO.png
I haven't used this myself but others have I think.

Back