• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Lion and Dewdrop Inn

mcneillhm54

Brummie babby
Does anyone have any knowledge of these 2 pubs.. my great grandfather( Joseph Edward Armstrong) and his father ( Joseph Armstrong)were managing these in 1914?

There was a British Lion at 18 Hall St. But in 1913 and 1915 the landlord is listed as John Leeson. Presumably he held the licence . Was the Dedrop in Brum. there is apparently a pub of that name in Worcester.

The information I gave was from Kellys directories. It obviously referred to another British Lion. Directories often did not list the name of a pub, particularly beerhouses (which only had a licence to sell beer), but just referred to them as beer retailer (which could also include off licences).. Looking at the names of your ancestors, Joseph Armstrong in 1910 -1921 is listed as being a beer retailer at 96 Alma St (which is on the corner of Inkerman st), but has he gone by 1932. There is no Joseph Armstrong in 1908 listed , but in 1904 there is Armstrong Joseph, cycle maker, 348 Summer lane, Though he may be no connection. The electoral roll for 1930 lists 96 Alma St as The Dewdrop Inn
There is no listing for a separate Joseph Edward Armstrong in Birmingham between 1904 and 1932 (for years I have mentioned ). It does look as if the other Joseph Armstrong may, as I suggested have been the manager, but not the licensee.

Mike

Yes my Joseph(my great great grandfather) lived at 96 Alma St.. he died in March 1926 and I have his address on his will.. he was also a cycle maker( he was an employer living in Summer St) before going into the pub trade. He left £1488/18/1 to his wife Mary .. she died in April 1926 .. leaving £679/18 to her daughter Lilian Florence Morris who was a widow.

Back