• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

British Leyland Castle Bromwich

Wilfred

Photo of the Garage staff at the time i worked there,George Brough was the Manager when it was Fisher & Ludlows but when this photo was taken he had unfortunately passed away, He was a great Boss and the Foremen were great too. I am the one with the beret at the back on the left. They were a brilliant set of guys to work with i really enjoyed working there.Sorry it has taken so long to add this photo,

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
Welcome to the Forum, Wilfred, and thanks for a great (and happy) photograph.

Any information about your working life there?

Chris

Welcome to the Forum, Wilfred, and thanks for a great (and happy) photograph.

Any information about your working life there?

Chris
Hi Chris I was a mechanic we repaired all the transport and mobile trucks that were used on site, also attended breakdowns and recovered the vehicles if necessary, the garage was directly opposite the Toolroom which we had to go into occasionally to get parts one day I was in there and suddenly everyone stopped work and started striking the metal work tops with their hammers it was quite a racket I said to one of the guys what’s that all about he said one of our workmates is retiring he is leaving now and there was a guy just getting his coat and starting to walk along the block actually it was quite poignant in a way I thought the guy did not look happy at all he never looked up just kept his head down and plodded up the block I could understand how he felt it was like one big family in those places and it must have left a big hole in their lives when they had to retire, some were probably glad to leave if they were on a hard job, I wondered has he got a partner to go home to does he like gardening has he got some occupation he likes.It was quite an experience for me to witness I’ve never forgot it.

A terrific photo, Wilfred. I wish I’d taken pictures of my work pals over the years but I simply never thought to.

A terrific photo, Wilfred. I wish I’d taken pictures of my work pals over the years but I simply never thought to.
That was an official photo Godber organised by the management, I too did not take any photo‘s I wished I had as well.

Back