• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brief encounter in Temple Row

frankf7

proper brummie kid
Can anyone help? I’m trying to locate a photo that I saw in the forums somewhere just recently, of a couple meeting at the edge of st Philips churchyard and Temple Row, next to a lamp post.
It’s a b/w photo which looks like it was shot in the 50’s, in ‘noir’ style.
Some people commented that it reminded them of a scene from Brief Encounter.

I’ve searched extensively but no luck yet - if anyone knows which forum etc it may be in, I’d be very grateful.

Thanks
F

hi frank sorry but at the min i cant find this photo..i have even gone through the long thread we have for temple row but no luck...maybe someone else may find it finger crossed

lyn

Nor can I. None of the obvious search definitions seems to bring anything up.

It may be worth trawling through this thread:
Chris

hi frank sorry but at the min i cant find this photo..i have even gone through the long thread we have for temple row but no luck...maybe someone else may find it finger crossed

Hi Lyn, no worries, thanks for looking….I know it’s here somewhere as I remember reading comments on it…I’ll continue searching!

Nor can I. None of the obvious search definitions seems to bring anything up.

It may be worth trawling through this thread:
Chris
Thanks ChrisM, I've gone through every page on that thread, no luck, but I'll keep searching.

Smashing photo, the light, not only on St Phillip's dome, but on the Waterloo Street building is superb.

Unlikely, but how lovely to hear from someone who knew about the couple/photo. It's almost as though the scene was set up for a specific reason.

Smashing photo, the light, not only on St Phillip's dome, but on the Waterloo Street building is superb.

Unlikely, but how lovely to hear from someone who knew about the couple/photo. It's almost as though the scene was set up for a specific reason.
I see from doing an image search that it was published in the 6th Feb 1954 edition of "Picture Post" magazine to illustrate an article called "The Best and Worst of British Cities".

The Getty Images site contains hundreds of photos originally taken for articles in Picture Post - here are some from 1951 featuring a young girl called Betty Burden who lived in Back Chapel Court in Edgbaston:-
1725000378865.png
There are 38 of these photos in all covering a day in her life. I have already copied them and can post them if anyone is interested?

great photos mark...dont think there was an address of back chapel court..maybe betty lived in a court in chapel st..

would love to see anymore photos...thanks

lyn

Wow! what a brilliant photo! Well done Mark!- It's the corner where Cafe Nero is now. The lampost looks to still be there (the further one in the modern picture below), although the stone post has long gone. The photographer must have got down on their knees to frame the shot.

View attachment 194447
Wow! what a brilliant photo! Well done Mark!- It's the corner where Cafe Nero is now. The lampost looks to still be there (the further one in the modern picture below), although the stone post has long gone. The photographer must have got down on their knees to frame the shot.

View attachment 194447

Back