• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bridge Street West

yes i agree photo taken back of no 105 leading to court 9

think this is the same 1950 map that john has posted

bridge st west 1950 no 105.jpg

hi folks. i thought i would put a few pics of bridge st west on for anyone who may have lived there. it ran at the back of my old school farm st. wales

View attachment 112177
Replacement image - may vary from original. This image is dated Sept 1964
We lived in bridge St West from 1959 to about 1966 I can't remember the number I know it was something something backa something!! There was a shop on the corner of summer Lane and bsw and we lived about 6 houses up from the shop opposite the police station. My dad was friendly with the police there and used to go over and play snooker with them and they would come and knock the door when they ran out of tea and sugar! I went to cowper St school they were happy days we used to go up the back in the wash house and do sing songs. And my poor mom getting that tin bath out in front of the fire and then the nit comb over the newspaper every Sunday checking we hadn't picked up any unwelcome visitors!!

We lived in bridge St West from 1959 to about 1966 I can't remember the number I know it was something something backa something!! There was a shop on the corner of summer Lane and bsw and we lived about 6 houses up from the shop opposite the police station. My dad was friendly with the police there and used to go over and play snooker with them and they would come and knock the door when they ran out of tea and sugar! I went to cowper St school they were happy days we used to go up the back in the wash house and do sing songs. And my poor mom getting that tin bath out in front of the fire and then the nit comb over the newspaper every Sunday checking we hadn't picked up any unwelcome visitors!!
great memories Lkr all except for the nit comb...how well i remember that ritual every so often :rolleyes:

lyn

I found this photograph recently, labeled The Wellington - Bridge Street West. However I can't find any reference to it. It is actually Bridge Street West, or elsewhere? If it is Bridge Street West which corner was it on?

Attachments

• Bridge Street West - The Wellingon - 1965.jpg
    Bridge Street West - The Wellingon - 1965.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 16
I found this photograph recently, labeled The Wellington - Bridge Street West. However I can't find any reference to it. It is actually Bridge Street West, or elsewhere? If it is Bridge Street West which corner was it on?
No. 346, Corner of Bridge Street West and Wellesley Street

Attachments

• bridge-st-west-the-wellington.jpg
    bridge-st-west-the-wellington.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 19
Possibly no. 346 Bridge St West, which was on the corner with Wellesley St and so would make sense.

Francis and Hilda Tedd are listed at The Wellington Inn, Bridge St West on the 1939 register but I can't see the number.
Must have posted within 10 seconds of each other Mark.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The Wellington pub was my dad's local until our family moved to Northfield in 1954 - I was 8 at the time. It was on the corner of BSW and Wellesley Street and we lived at No 3 'Cottage Row' further up towards Villa St. It comprised of 10 houses and was next to St Saviours Church where myself and two siblings were Christened. We all went to Burbury St Junior Infant School which was about 100 yards down from Wellesley St, and it also had an entrance at the back in Farm St. Re the landlord of The Wellington, he used to be an actor apparently and very sadly, he gassed himself while his wife was out for the day.

Lived 2/321 bridge street west 1952 to 1962 was it Melbourne place or terrace very close to queen's head pub neighbours opposite were the wilkins

it was melbourne place ..you can see it marked on the map on post 361...hope you enjoyed the old photos on this thread

lyn

Thank you so much saw the queen when she came to open a new part of Lucas factory often played in burberry street park and went to play centre at harry Lucas school in eveningd

Thank you so much saw the queen when she came to open a new part of Lucas factory often played in burberry street park and went to play centre at harry Lucas school in eveningd

thats great michael...in case you dont know its best to start reading any thread from post 1 in case you miss something..photos posted before 2010 may not be visible due to the formum being hacked and we lost all of our photos but in many cases such as this thread a lot have been replaced further on the thread..we should have a thread for burbury st park which i knew well.. just used the search box top right of the main page to search for things you are interested in

enjoy

lyn

Last edited:
This photograph is looking out of the window of 91-92 Bridge Street West, could be 1930? It was our family business which had been there since 1890, originally a corn and feed merchants and later making cycle components as well as war components.thumbnail - 2024-09-24T183752.875.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This photograph is looking out of the window of 91-92 Bridge Street West, could be 1930? It was our family business which had been there since 1890, originally a corn and feed merchants and later making cycle components as well as war components
The maps for the area in the 1880s and 1950s is shown below. The pub on the corner is the Queens head, the building to the left of it is no 320, which in 1936 is Mrs Edith Gilbert, confectioners. while the hazy building in the background is Lucas;s

map 1954 showing 91,92 Brudge st West.jpgmap 1880s showing 91,92 Brudge st West.jpg

what a great photo roger i have taken the liberty of turning it the right way round for you...just look at all those lucas workers coming out of work date wise i would guess 30s or 40s

lyn

In the above post,#376 by Roger Ralph, there is a Salters van parked..The date of the photo is given as in the 1930's, I suggest late 1930's. This would suggest a possible Salter company van visiting the corn and seed merchant business probably before the cycle components and work in conjunction with WW2.

Post 379, by Lyn (Astoness) shows a milk float probably delivering milk supplies to the cafe. I believe that model was a three wheeler.

Not clear if the photo was likely have been taken while a corn merchant, but the corn merchant business had disappeared from Kellys in the 1932 edition

Back