• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brewers Arms, 110, Bromsgrove Street. Birmingham

David Hankey

proper brummie kid
I understand the above was a beer house in 1891.

Can anyone advise the actual name of the place or would it have been a residential house with a room given over to selling/consumption of beer?

I think the actual location may have been flattened by now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, David

The 1892 directory for that address tells us
Hopkins Arth, Dan, beer ret
he was not there very long and would have gone to another pub?

I understand the above was a beer house in 1891.

Can anyone advise the actual name of the place or would it have been a residential house with a room given over to selling/consumption of beer?

I think the actual location may have been flattened by now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, David

Thanks for that, horsencart. I know Arthur Dan was at 69, Colville Road, Balsall Heath at the time of the 1911 Census and 146, Lister Street, Aston in 1881.

He was also a plasterer by trade which he had returned to my 1911. He died in 1914 aged 58 in Balsall Heath.

I just wondered if the Bromsgrove Street address was an actual public house or not.

Regards, David

I have found this in The Birmingham Daily Post dated 20th May 1890. An article referring to a letter from A HOPKINS, 110 Bromsgrove St, secretary of the National Association of operative plasterers, Birmingham District.

Attachments

• hopkins__Tues_May_202C_1890.JPG
    hopkins__Tues_May_202C_1890.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 21
  • hopkins_may_20_1890.JPG
    hopkins_may_20_1890.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi, pollypops, and thank you for this article. This is, indeed, my great grandfather Arthur Dan Hopkins.

Many thanks, David

Hello David - I have also found an article dated 26th April 1887 about a meeting at the Grand Hotel because of a dispute in the building trade. A D Hopkins is listed as attending I can post the article if you do not already have it.

Here is the article from The Birmingham Daily Post 26th April 1887

Attachments

• hopkins_26_april_1887.JPG
    hopkins_26_april_1887.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 9
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 6
Further to the article dated 20th May 1890 on post #4 this article is from The Birmingham Daily Post two days later on the 22nd May 1890 - saying the Secretary of the Plasterers association (I assume Hopkins) has informed them the plasterers dispute was amicably settled.

Attachments

• hopkins_22_may_1890.JPG
    hopkins_22_may_1890.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 5
Birmingham Daily Post 3rd August 1888 - Transfer of Licenses - Brewers Arms, Bromsgrove Street to A D HOPKINS.

Well done Mike - once you know the name of the pub it is easer to search.

Also found - Birmingham Daily Post 2nd June 1893 - transfer of Licenses - Brewers Arms, Bromsgrove Street to H Norton.
Although that is not to say that it didn't transfer before this - this is just what I can find.

We know from the newspaper article (post #4) that Hopkins was giving his address as 110 Bromsgrove Street in 1890

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

It's a great pity the old pub is derelict as I am sure my great grandfather would have left one behind the bar for me!!

Thanks again, David

Can I ask a final favour whilst on the subject of Arthur Dan.

I have been unable to trace him on the 1901 Census, I guess he was out of the licensing trade by then.

Can anyone help please. Thanks, David

David, street view does show a derelict pub in Bromsgrove Street but I do not know if it is The Brewers Arms. The Brewers Arms may have demolished years ago.

I can't help with the census information but there are lots of people on here that are excellent at finding 'missing' people. :adoration:

David here is the transcript of 1901 census

1901 census transcription details for: 69, Colville Road, Balsall Heath
National Archive Reference:
[TABLE="width: 770"]
[TR]
[TD]RG number:
[/TD]
[TD]RG13
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Piece:
[/TD]
[TD]2811
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Folio:
[/TD]
[TD]59
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Page:
[/TD]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Reg. District:
[/TD]
[TD]Kings Norton
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sub District:
[/TD]
[TD]Kings Norton
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Parish:
[/TD]
[TD]Balsall Heath
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Enum. District:
[/TD]
[TD]63
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ecclesiastical District:
[/TD]
[TD]St Pauls
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]City/Municipal Borough:
[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Address:
[/TD]
[TD]69, Colville Road, Balsall Heath
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]County:
[/TD]
[TD]Worcestershire
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation , Disability
Where Born
HOPKINS, Arthur Dan
Head
Married
M
Plasterer
Banbury, Oxfordshire
HOPKINS, Sarah Catherine
Wife
Married
F
Bham, Warwickshire
HOPKINS, Florence
Daughter
Single
F
Bham, Warwickshire

To clear things up, no 110 was between Henstead st and Gooch St, and , on google, there are no old buildings on Bromsgrove st remaining between those streets.

i mike ;
i do not supose you know what number the pink elephant club was in bromsgrove street which was in the 60s
and more of a question what was it in them days as it looked a small dwelling structure wise i think the building was an orinional
from the early days many tjhanks best wishes astonian;; alan;;

hi mike many thanks for your time and for the hard work you are doing for us all ;
best wishes and enjoy your day ; alan ; astonian;

Back