• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brasshouse Broad Street

Spent a few years there studying Portuguese when it was the Language Centre. Now the centre seems to be based at the Library.

What is the building used for at the moment?

Have I got the right Building?

I am at the wrong building! It would be on Broad Street as the Brasshouse Pub?

nice map pedro....just look at all the different trades we had in one small area...did not know there was a turkish baths on broad st...would like to see a photo of that

lyn

nice map pedro....just look at all the different trades we had in one small area...did not know there was a turkish baths on broad st...would like to see a photo of that

lyn

And the School (boys, girls and infants) alongside an engine works and in front of an ironworks in Oozells Street!

Could this be the above mentioned school? A lovely old building surviving amongst the new.

Towards the top it shows 1877.

9AD5858F-2645-47EF-9B7B-F98A0B6B04B1.jpeg

Could this be the above mentioned school? A lovely old building surviving amongst the new.

Towards the top it shows 1877.

View attachment 119888
From Wikipedia....

Oozells Street Board School was a Victorian board school in Oozells Street, off Broad Street in Birmingham, England.

Designed in 1877 by local architects Martin & Chamberlain, responsible for over forty of the Birmingham board schools, it opened on 28 January 1878 to serve 807 primary children.[1]

In 1976 the tower was demolished on safety grounds.[1] It was rebuilt around 1997 with a steel girder frame. Redevelopment was by Carillion[2] at a cost of £4,700,000.[3]

The building became a college and then a furniture store for Birmingham City Councilbefore being condemned for demolition.[1] It had a last-minute reprieve as the contract for demolition was being agreed and reopened in 1998 as the Ikon Gallery.[1]

Since 1993 it has become surrounded by the new buildings of Brindleyplace which replaced an earlier industrial area of factories and workshops.

Nice to see this thread started Viv. My Gt Gt Grandfather Woolley worked on the canals and lived in Brasshouse Passage. I think the houses may have gone by the time of Pedrocut's map in 1890 although there still seem to be a few in the courtyards.

There was also a BHF thread about Brasshouse Passage, so I have merged that thread with this one. Members might now find the earlier transferred posts (#1 - #26) on this thread of interest. Viv.

Don't really take much photos of The Brasshouse (my original ones were from 2009) but saw this view from a service road at Brindleyplace.

Grade II listed, built in 1781 as the Birmingham Brasshouse with alterations in 1870.

One of my earliest photos of The Brasshouse from April 2009. Canal view, just before the Broad Street Tunnel.

New view from the Brindleyplace path side as you exit from Broad Street. Not really taken this view from this path before, but walked past it loads of times over the years!

Just to add to the history a bit. In 1982 I took the Radio Amateurs Exam in a classroom in a building on Brasshouse Passage. Back in those days it was a two part exam, Theory and Regulations and you needed a pass in both to be able to apply for a transmitting licence. The exam was, I think, only held once a year, in December.

Then it was a multiple choice exam and the 'old timers' hated this as they sat a written exam and looked down their noses at those of us that had what they thought was an easier way to get a licence.

All those buildings have gone now, of course, it became part of the redevelopment of that area called Brindleyplace.

Just to add to the history a bit. In 1982 I took the Radio Amateurs Exam in a classroom in a building on Brasshouse Passage. Back in those days it was a two part exam, Theory and Regulations and you needed a pass in both to be able to apply for a transmitting licence.

Hi Dave,

Coincidentally I also took the RAE in 1982 at Walsall, but previously in the 1970s I was learning
Morse at the Brasshouse Centre with Gerry Farrance G3KPT (now SK). It all seems a lifetime ago now!

Kind regards
Dave

Coincidentally I also took the RAE in 1982 at Walsall, but previously in the 1970s I was learning
Morse at the Brasshouse Centre with Gerry Farrance G3KPT (now SK). It all seems a lifetime ago now!

After getting my 'Class B' callsign (G6VMQ) I started doing Morse lessons at evening classes in Northfield that were run by another Amateur called Brett, and I can't remember his callsign, but it would have been a G4. It will bug me until I remember...

I failed the Morse test, twice, traveling to Western Super-mare both times, but passed at the Elveston Castle Rally and then waited for the callsign G0DJA.

After getting my 'Class B' callsign (G6VMQ) I started doing Morse lessons at evening classes in Northfield that were run by another Amateur called Brett, and I can't remember his callsign, but it would have been a G4. It will bug me until I remember...

I failed the Morse test, twice, traveling to Western Super-mare both times, but passed at the Elveston Castle Rally and then waited for the callsign G0DJA.
hi Dave have you had a look on QRZ for him? i did my RAE test in kitts green.:grinning:

hi Dave have you had a look on QRZ for him? i did my RAE test in kitts green.:grinning:

Hi Pete,

I thought that too, but if it was his first name, there weren't any in Brum that I could find,
but there was one possibility if it was his surname. Of course, he may now be miles away.

Kind regards
MX es HNY

Dave G0ELJ

I have come in a bit late on this topic/thread. But I actually attended Matthew Boulton College annex situated in a dingy and very badly lit Brasshouse Passage from September 1967 till June 1969 on a day release and evening basis. I gained an ONC in Business Studies. Furthermore the following academic year attended an evening course based in what is now the Ikon Gallery for my Accountancy examinations. This was also part of the Matthew Boulton annexation the time. My how that area has changed!!!

Back