• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bradley's of Heanage Street.

fisherman

Brummie babby
I know it's a long shot but I am desperately trying to find out about my nan Alice Bradley early life ,I know she gave birth to my dad Leslie James Bradley on Feb 6th 1910 at 1 back of 115 Heneage St, according to dads birth cert, trouble is there is no father named on it but the informant was a Lily Crump, On dads wedding cert his dad is named as James Bradley (deceased taxi driver) though on Nans death cert her husband is named as Albert (deceased taxi driver). dad also had a brother named James or Jim but I lost contact with him 40 years ago.
I've been searching now for 3 years but I can't find anything at all about her before dads birth or on the 1911 census, she moved to Bampton Rd, Smethwick sometime before 1938 when dad got married and lived there until her death in 1964.
As I say it's a long shot but worth a try as someone out there my recall the name.
Regards to all.
fisherman

I haven't been able to find anything on the 1911 census. Thinking about my own grandparents I can tell you that they never married but my nan took grand-dad's name and all the children (8 of them) were registered in his name.

As your dad was Leslie James and his brother also James, it stands a good chance that their father was James and not Albert. Maybe he was Albert James or James Albert! There is a birth registration for a James Albert S Bradley in Aston in 1907. That could be your uncle.

Any idea who registered the death of your gran? They must have known the name of her husband/partner.

I haven't been able to find anything on the 1911 census. Thinking about my own grandparents I can tell you that they never married but my nan took grand-dad's name and all the children (8 of them) were registered in his name.

As your dad was Leslie James and his brother also James, it stands a good chance that their father was James and not Albert. Maybe he was Albert James or James Albert! There is a birth registration for a James Albert S Bradley in Aston in 1907. That could be your uncle.

Any idea who registered the death of your gran? They must have known the name of her husband/partner.

Hi and thanks for your interest.

It was a lady named Lily Crump who registered the birth, she was also present at the birth.
I spoke to the B'ham genealogist when they sent me dads birth cert and he said nan must have been single as no father was named "it would have been illegal" so her maiden name must have been Bradley.

I have just been advised by ladylinda that there were 2 families of Bradley's living in both 1&2 back of 115 in 1911, but 1 back of 115 was unoccupied, coincidental or what?

I have come across the marriage' or lack of it, and borrowing names situation in moms side of the family as well it certainly confuses things.

Thanks again
fisherman

Hi Fisherman,

On Leslie James birth, Alice has her occupation as Linen Button Coverer. I have found an Alice Bradley, age 13, in the 1891 census, so born about 1878, who is also a linen button maker. She is living in Tower Street Birmingham with her parents, Alf Bradley (born abt 1838 Newbury, Berks) and Alice (born about 1848 Sutton, Berks), and with brother, Alfred, aged 15. Hope this helps.
Northfield

Hi Fisherman,

On Leslie James birth, Alice has her occupation as Linen Button Coverer. I have found an Alice Bradley, age 13, in the 1891 census, so born about 1878, who is also a linen button maker. She is living in Tower Street Birmingham with her parents, Alf Bradley (born abt 1838 Newbury, Berks) and Alice (born about 1848 Sutton, Berks), and with brother, Alfred, aged 15. Hope this helps.
Northfield

Hi Northfield.
Thanks for that, I shall have a look into them especially as Alice is doing the same job as my nan Alice.
Regards
fisherman

Has anyone got photos of Heanage Street in the 1950's my wife was born and spent many years there, and it would be great to view some photographs of these back houses. I think she lived at number 5. Many thanks, John..

Has anyone got photos of Heanage Street in the 1950's my wife was born and spent many years there, and it would be great to view some photographs of these back houses. I think she lived at number 5. Many thanks, John..

Hi John

Try this thread,

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?10613-Gosta-Green-Through-Duddeston

I know it's a long thread but you should find several photos of Heneage Street, I know they are there because I posted them and I also replaced them after the forum crashed in 2011. It's a long thread but if you persevere I think you will find what you are looking for. Also try typing Heneage St in the search box at the top right of the page that might bring additional images.

John

Taking a second look at what you have said, number 5 would have been a the Woodcock Street end of Heneage St and by 1950 all the street fronting houses past Dartmouth Street had been replaced by industrial premises and in fact number 5 would have been replaced by the Co-op workshops as shown in this image.

Attachments

• Nechells Heneage St 4.jpg
    Nechells Heneage St 4.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 19
Back