• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bowens

Nickcc101 ... You are right, I missed a bit from my last post. Following the deregulation of 'Bus Companies back in the 80's, many transport companies were set up, or expanded. By the 90s, lots had gone, and others were in difficulty. I think Arnolds were one such.
I worked, briefly, in early 1970 for a chap from Coleshill who had, at the time, three coaches, the need for better maintenance facilities and the cost associated with this plus some unreliable drivers helped to finish his company in the late seventies. Seems like things have gone full circle where the smaller operator is unable to compete with the big boys such as Shearings and National Express.

Bishopsmate, my late Wife and I used to go on Highland Heritage holidays to Dalmally with Shearings coaches in the 1990's, it included full board and a full day excursion every day but one, real value for money. Coach picked us up in Bham city centre and a few more pick ups on the way, even had one in Glasgow one year. Eric

Hi Eric
Our first stay was at Dalmally but now we stay at Oban. Still giving out the same value but the sunsets over the sea leaves me lost for words. We have been picked up in B'ham but now go to Solihull. We picked up in Glasgow this last time which was interesting and we hope to go back next year to visit some of the isles.

there is a splendid book about Bowens.......

https://www.brewinbooks.com/Transport files/bowenstext.htm

Perhaps like many companies it got to big?, Im fairly certain it was taken over by the Alf Mosely group, a coach dealer who would have suppiled all of the Portugese built Salvador Caetano bodies on various chassis and other types that the company had. Bowen's had taken over many operators including...............

Arnolds, Tamworth
Stockland Green Coaches,inc Gliderways Bearwood
Flights Coaches, Birmingham
Yorks, Northampton
Appleby, Lincs

Bowens had a garage in Cotterills Lane Alum Rock and I am sure that when I was a kid ,old man Bowen used to knock on doors inthe area to drum up custom.Other coach firms were Eatonways . Andy's who were based in Nechells Park Road.This company ran our school bus from Shard End to Gunter Road school in the 50's

Andy's from

Talking about Alf Mosely, back in the mid sixties one of our drivers, Archie Andrews, rolled one of our Bedford Vals ( tests proved the road surface was at fault ) I ended up driving the motor to Alf Mosely for repair minus the windscreen and wearing a pair of goggles, talk about looking like toad of toad hall :)

Harry,you must be mistaken, if you had been banned I wouldn't be able to reply to your post.

My grandparents lived in Adderly Road and I am sure that Bowens used to go round knocking doors to drum up business

Every time I log on they tell me I have been banned despite the fact they have given me two new passwords and yet I can still send this message
I have asked for an explanation and they gave me an email address to contact but my emails are refused.
Harry

Harry it must be an automatic glitch with the forum robot. This is not the fault of one person hopefully admin will be able to sort it. It may not be done today as it is Christmas day.

Bowens Administration

Sad to read today about the above news. Awful time of the year for any business to fail ,let alone one who has served the Midlands so well over the years.I worked for Les Bowen in the 60s when his depot ran from Cotterills lane, his fleet then consisted of 6 A.E.C.s with Harrington bodies.In 1967 he purchased a 53 seater A.E. C. Plaxton .There were 7 drivers then Robert Hall.Ron Smallwood, Johnny Willavize,John Robinson ,Phil Turner,Dave Evans & myself. The work was all Excusion &Tour work ,Express services and Willenhall, Wolverhampton , Cradley Heath dog tracks mid week nights.The coaches were looked after mechanically by a man called Wally Stillgoe who was very thorough and methodical, his son Micheal looked after the small car service and repair bay on the garage forecourt. The office was run by two ladies Joyce and Marjorie, with Bernard office manager who i believe was Les Bowens son in law. Les himself was a very broad shouldered,stocky man who always wore a trilby and a liking for cigars.He drove a light two tone brown Bentley and lived in a corner plot between The Fox and Goose and The Hunters Moon.
He was a gentleman to work for and unlike some firms of that era treated his staff with courtesy and consideration .My commiserations to all the staff who will lose their jobs and good luck to getting another .
I sincerley hope you leave with as many happy memories as i have
Lovely reading this! John Robinson was my Grandad ❤️

Bowens Administration

Sad to read today about the above news. Awful time of the year for any business to fail ,let alone one who has served the Midlands so well over the years.I worked for Les Bowen in the 60s when his depot ran from Cotterills lane, his fleet then consisted of 6 A.E.C.s with Harrington bodies.In 1967 he purchased a 53 seater A.E. C. Plaxton .There were 7 drivers then Robert Hall.Ron Smallwood, Johnny Willavize,John Robinson ,Phil Turner,Dave Evans & myself. The work was all Excusion &Tour work ,Express services and Willenhall, Wolverhampton , Cradley Heath dog tracks mid week nights.The coaches were looked after mechanically by a man called Wally Stillgoe who was very thorough and methodical, his son Micheal looked after the small car service and repair bay on the garage forecourt. The office was run by two ladies Joyce and Marjorie, with Bernard office manager who i believe was Les Bowens son in law. Les himself was a very broad shouldered,stocky man who always wore a trilby and a liking for cigars.He drove a light two tone brown Bentley and lived in a corner plot between The Fox and Goose and The Hunters Moon.
He was a gentleman to work for and unlike some firms of that era treated his staff with courtesy and consideration .My commiserations to all the staff who will lose their jobs and good luck to getting another .
I sincerley hope you leave with as many happy memories as i have

Hi JoRob , your grandfather was not only a work mate but a friend we both worked at Radley Motors Tile Cross in 1964/1965,when i was 21 and he taught me a great deal about the job. Unfortunately i moved away from Bham in 1970s and lost touch with him and Betty who was of course your grandmother. The last i heard he was driving black cabs in Bham but couldn't be sure.fond memories never the less.

Hi ! Yes that's right he worked for TOA taxis along with my Dad David Robinson who we sadly lost in 2008 aged only 56, John sadly passed away in 1994 aged 66 and then Nan (Betty) passed in 2009. It's lovely to hear memories about them! My Grandad was an amazing man, a true gentleman and very comical! Thank you for your lovely reply! Joanne

Back