• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bournville Village

When Truss wrote in the Telegraph she referred to a plan to create investment zones across the country in the spirit of historic towns like Bournville.

However in the conference speech, while standing in the centre of Birmingham, she referred to Bournville as a hub of industry.

Well Cadbury's is still in existence whereas it seems that most on Birmingham's former industries have closed and been demolished.
The Cadbury brand has been separated into I believe three different owners so what we all know as Cadbury Bournville is long gone.

Firm now known as Mondelez, which apparently in Russian is a somewhat obscene term, which the higher ups were informed of by Cadbury people working in Russia before it was adopted,.

Firm now known as Mondelez, which apparently in Russian is a somewhat obscene term, which the higher ups were informed of by Cadbury people working in Russia before it was adopted,.
The name is derived from the Latin word mundus ("world") and delez, a fanciful modification of the word "delicious." The Mondelez International company manufactures chocolate, cookies, biscuits, gum, confectionery, and powdered beverages.

Sad to hear this. Every prize giving day at Bournville Boys Grammar Technical School most of the Cadbury Family turned up to give out the prizes. If I remember I had 2 History and 1 Art prize but cant remember which member of family gave them to me. Most of the school trips twice a year were visits to the Cadbury Factory with a tin of chocs at the end - good for pens and pencils afterwards. During the summer exam period we could always smell the cocao beans They were happy times.

Below are four photos taken at the recent heritage day of the imposing Bournville Village School hall , donated by the Cadburys. I gather that, unlike 20 years ago, the Mondelez/Cadbury firm do nothing now for the village.

bournville school.1.jpgbournville school.2.jpgbournville school.3.jpgbournville school.4.jpg

Below are four photos taken at the recent heritage day of the imposing Bournville Village School hall , donated by the Cadburys. I gather that, unlike 20 years ago, the Mondelez/Cadbury firm do nothing now for the village.

View attachment 173660View attachment 173661View attachment 173662View attachment 173663
Thank you for wonderful photographs of Bournville Village Hall taken during recent Heritage Days. Again sad to hear that new owners dont seem to contribute to Bournville community

I can't find a thread for Bournville School of Art at Ruskin Hall, Linden Road. It merged with Birmingham Polytechnic in 1988, but became part of Birmingham Institute for Art and Design. And the building became a college for international students. The building is temporarily home to the Acting School of Royal Birmingham Conservatiore, but at the end of the academic year (ie now) they will move out. Let's keep this historic building.

Art is still taught at Margaret Street and other locations in BCU, but personally I regret the loss of the old Art Schools. And I know many in Bournville regret its loss too. Anyone study there?

Last edited:
Art School isn't about turning out superstar professional artists. Though in the art world there are a couple of well known people who studied there. Roger Hirons a sculptor and the photographer Richard Billingham who photographed his Black Country family in a controversial way. Hirons entry for the Big Art Project was a model of what he proposed to construct for Curzon Square -- he took the dimensions of City of Birmingham locomotive (in Think Tank) and made a rail crash! Naturally he didn't win (nor did he expect to I fancy) But if he had it would wind up the HS2 enthusiasts! They can relax we will have Susan Phillipsz singing clock instead.
Art isn't always about pretty pictures, it can make you think and Hirons succeded here. How fast would you like to go?https://eastsideprojects.org/projects/birmingham-big-art-project/
It symbolises 'the shaping of our sexual identities'

Last edited:
There are workers cottages in 1892. I expect they're still standing, but can't place them. Generous dimensions and good design to the houses, all in keeping with the ideal village created by Cadbury. Presumably they were located reaonably close to the factory. Viv.

Screenshot_20230608_183325_Chrome.jpg

Back