• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Botterill Tyres Constitution Hill

wessex

master brummie
My great uncle started H.Botterill Tyres on Constitution Hill/Northwood Street. Sometime around the late 20s/early 30s.His name surprisingly enough was Harry Botterill.
It later got sold on his death in '67 and became Midland Tyres.This lasted till around 2000,when the daughter of the owner sold it after his death.
It was swallowed up by a bigger tyre company,now it's a plant hire.
In 1973 it was demolished,and rebuilt.There is a petrol station attatched to it,and it's opposite the 'White horse cellars'
My mother worked there in the 1957-1961,my father was part-time there doing the books till it closed.Holds some very special memories for me,especially as the 2 managers worked there all their lives,one started before the war.
I used to visit often in my youth,we'd go for food at the local cafes like 'Vi's' or 'Roses'.Or sneak an underage pint in the Cellars.
It was popular,so if any of you have any memories please share them with me.

The White Horse Cellars pub you mention was quite a place in the 1960's and 1970's, mostly for live jazz. It was run by Jim and Mary Twigg, and most weekends there'd be live music of some sort in the upstairs room. The Arcadian Hall Stompers played there regularly. We used to meet there of a Friday, few jars, then wander down to The Salutation on the corner or Summer Lane and Snow Hill. It's been boarded up for some time, sad to say.

Big Gee

Yes we remember Jim,he sold my dad some revolting frozen cornish pasties once...and my Dad's from cornwall lol..should have noticed though,they were made in Plymouth.

It did ok,especially at lunch times with factory workers,but then when Cannings etc closed it struggled.Last time I went in was 1989,dead,and kept changing hands.

I'm going to post some pics of the White horse Cellars,probally tomorrow.It's called Wine Lord now,and it seems it's a simple off licence now.Didn't go in as it was raining,but you could see in through the open door.

In the 50s 60s I often went to Midland Tyre, we used to get all the remould tyres for the second hand cars from there, fitted while you wait. They also had a tyre recutting machine to cut treads in worn out tyres, not allowed nowadays except for the commercials. E.

In the 50s 60s I often went to Midland Tyre, we used to get all the remould tyres for the second hand cars from there, fitted while you wait. They also had a tyre recutting machine to cut treads in worn out tyres, not allowed nowadays except for the commercials. E.

Thanks for that Eric,you would have remembered it as H.Botterill Tyres when you first knew it.It was bought up by Bill Whitehouse,he owned Warstone Lane petrol station.
Bill was not there a lot,the 2 managers were Frank Clarke and Tony Phillips,they were in the same positions from wartime,till the new millenium.Later on Frank's son Chris served the business loyally well for more than 20 years.

As a popular place I was beginning to wonder if anybody did actually remember it,and I'm really happy you took the time to cheer up my day.

Tim

Thanks for that Eric,you would have remembered it as H.Botterill Tyres when you first knew it.It was bought up by Bill Whitehouse,he owned Warstone Lane petrol station.
Bill was not there a lot,the 2 managers were Frank Clarke and Tony Phillips,they were in the same positions from wartime,till the new millenium.Later on Frank's son Chris served the business loyally well for more than 20 years.

As a popular place I was beginning to wonder if anybody did actually remember it,and I'm really happy you took the time to cheer up my day.

Tim
I worked there for about 10 yrs with Frank Tony and Chris ...and if i remember I think i bought a horrible brown maesto from you ...but i loved it lol

Hi , I remember you..there during the 90s?
I was Dennis Rowe's son...I remember you working on a Nissan I had....I did have a Maestro at one point...surprised it even made it to MT lol.
We must chat more,I'll try to PM you...but I'm on my partner's tablet,on a business trip,and not sure exactly how it works.

Back