• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Born at Sorrento 1974

David Ricketts

Brummie babby
Hi there. I was born at Sorrento on June 7th ‘74. My birth name was Peter Richard Beckenridge Keehan. My adopted name is David Ricketts. I need to find anything I can about my birth. I only have an adoption certificate and a birth certificate. I also have a bible- with an inscription inside it from a Marc Bolan poem. It’s a calfskin bible with gold edging. Was it gifted by the hospital? Or more likely my birth mother? It’s dated with my birth date- and the handwriting doesn’t match anyone we know. Thank you to anyone that can help me out.

hi david we have many such enquires like yours so you are not alone...the only thing i can suggest is that you contact social services to try and access your adoption files and find out if your birth mother left you the bible...good luck and dont give up..oh there is just one thing would your parents know anything about the bible as i take it you have had it since your birth ?

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. My Mum died when I was 12, and now there is no one alive from my direct family- my Dad died 3 years ago and we found the bible in a box of other books. I don't mind what I find out, but I'd like to find out something- even if the something is nothing, If that makes sense.. So we don't have any answers- just rumours from friends of the family. I have now requested my original birth certificate from the GRO and I have ordered a DNA test from Ancestry. We don't have any records, but we do have everybody's handwriting from around then, and we are pretty sure it is hers, and not a nurse's, or a friend's handwriting. I have also contacted some Bolan fans and we are certain that to write that quote would have required the author to be a hardcore fan. So we've tentatively asked around the fan clubs... I just really appreciate your positivity and help. Thank you both.

Hello David, I assume that you are referring to your adoptive parents here, regarding the deaths? Condolences to you anyway.

From your story, I would say that it's very likely that your birth mother was a teenager and probably either of Irish parentage in England or sent here from Ireland give birth.
Your original name contains two surnames Beckenridge and Keehan. I would also say that there's a possibility that these could be your biological parents' names, with Keehan being an Irish surname, this may well be hers?

Your original birth certificate may give you much more to go on if ALL the information is on it. Chances are it may not all be there in cases such as yours but you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a gamble worth doing. You may find it contains some useful information like an address or better still, hopefully the name and occupation of your biological father?

I remember 1974 quite well as a teenager myself and the Marc Bolan poem is certainly something that only a ardent fan would know about, so I can say with at least small amount of confidence that your biological mother would be of a similar age to me or slightly younger. Currently I'm 67 years old.

Ancestry is a good idea too, I've been a member for years and you'll get many DNA matches to look at. This will also tell you how close you are genetically to the other matches. I suspect that there's a good chance that she's still alive and has gone on to marry and had other children. Plus other close relatives of hers or your biological fathers' may well appear?
Alternatively, you could contact the program makers of Long Lost Family who are really good at tracing people? You've probably already considered this and maybe kept it as a last resort?

Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for. If you need any help with DNA matches I'm willing to help if you need any guidance with it. I have over 4000 of them to trawl through but it's interesting finding out.
Good luck.
Steve

Hello David, I assume that you are referring to your adoptive parents here, regarding the deaths? Condolences to you anyway.

From your story, I would say that it's very likely that your birth mother was a teenager and probably either of Irish parentage in England or sent here from Ireland give birth.
Your original name contains two surnames Beckenridge and Keehan. I would also say that there's a possibility that these could be your biological parents' names, with Keehan being an Irish surname, this may well be hers?

Your original birth certificate may give you much more to go on if ALL the information is on it. Chances are it may not all be there in cases such as yours but you may be pleasantly surprised. It's a gamble worth doing. You may find it contains some useful information like an address or better still, hopefully the name and occupation of your biological father?

I remember 1974 quite well as a teenager myself and the Marc Bolan poem is certainly something that only a ardent fan would know about, so I can say with at least small amount of confidence that your biological mother would be of a similar age to me or slightly younger. Currently I'm 67 years old.

Ancestry is a good idea too, I've been a member for years and you'll get many DNA matches to look at. This will also tell you how close you are genetically to the other matches. I suspect that there's a good chance that she's still alive and has gone on to marry and had other children. Plus other close relatives of hers or your biological fathers' may well appear?
Alternatively, you could contact the program makers of Long Lost Family who are really good at tracing people? You've probably already considered this and maybe kept it as a last resort?

Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for. If you need any help with DNA matches I'm willing to help if you need any guidance with it. I have over 4000 of them to trawl through but it's interesting finding out.
Good luck.
Steve
Hi Steve- thanks so much for your thinking. I lost my adoptive Mum when I was 12- my Dad passed away 3 years ago. It's really that I know there's a piece missing from me, and I would like to fill it. Doesn't matter what with- I just have to find something!
You've given me some good things to think about. The surnames are interesting- Keehan is Irish, but Beckenridge may have been English. And I agree with you about my birth mother- it was most likely deliberate on her part to let me go, rather than go through an abortion. I think that's where you are also right about the GRO- I think DNA may hold more answers than records. I am interested in whether I have blood relations, but like adoption, I know there isn't actually any 'link' between me and anyone else. I didn't know about Long lost Family, but although I am being public here, I don't really want to go on this journey with cameras! Although the publicity might be good for my business! Hahaha!
Thanks for your help. If I have any luck, I'll share it, and I know that there is a good group of people on here that care. I really appreciate all yours. Thank you.
David

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
hi david i still think that accessing your adoption files would be the easiest and best way forward...they will give you the answers to everything about your adoption and your birth mom and maybe even your birth dad...i speak from experience of this with a member of my family who found out that he had a brother and sister who he knew nothing about that was also adopted and he has met both of them

lyn

hi david i still think that accessing your adoption files would be the easiest and best way forward...they will give you the answers to everything about your adoption and your birth mom and maybe even your birth dad...i speak from experience of this with a member of my family who found out that he had a brother and sister who he knew nothing about that was also adopted and he has met both of them

lyn
Hi there Lyn! I have applied to the GRO, but many adopted kids find the parents' details aren't recorded properly, and the situation for those people will have changed. It's been 50 years, so I doubt they live where they said, or that they are around- which is why I want to double up and do the DNA test too. I'm inspired by your family member- there is hope, and I'm going to try everything I can. After all, the journey is the best bit! I certainly want a no blame approach. After all, I'm here, my adopted parents did the best they could, and already I've had answers about why I often feel the way I do- my behaviours relate to those first 6 months. I'd love to know why my son is the way he is- he is taller, and has such different hair and eyes. At least I know he is 100% mine! I think he's a little bit interested in why things are the way they are.
Thanks so much- I'll stay in touch!
David

• Appreciate
ok david please let us know how things go but if you do decide to go down the route of obtaining your adoption records your first step is to contact birmingham social services they will guide you..good luck

lyn

• Appreciate
Back