• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Bob Coles on the Cov Rd, how many hours have I spent in there, especially on a Sunday.

Attachments

• Bordesley Bowyer St off Coventry Rd.jpg
    Bordesley Bowyer St off Coventry Rd.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Delighted you have started this thread, Postie. Here are some more Bordesley pics:

Attachments

• bordesley fields.jpg
    bordesley fields.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Bordesley Bordesley Green (2).JPG
    Bordesley Bordesley Green (2).JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Bordesley Green Bordesley Green Rd Nt Whitthall Rd.jpg
    Bordesley Green Bordesley Green Rd Nt Whitthall Rd.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 7
A few more:

Attachments

• Bordesley High St Joe Fox Sweet Shop.jpg
    Bordesley High St Joe Fox Sweet Shop.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Bordesley Green - Cattell Road - Atlas Pub.[1].JPG
    Bordesley Green - Cattell Road - Atlas Pub.[1].JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 5
And more. Perhaps someone could help with exact locations of the last 3?

Attachments

• 1 Bordesley GarrisonLane-TiltonRoad_zpsa52f4853[1].jpg
    1 Bordesley GarrisonLane-TiltonRoad_zpsa52f4853[1].jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2 Bordesley BORDESLEY GREEN.JPG
    2 Bordesley BORDESLEY GREEN.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 3 Bordesley Pretoria rd.[1].jpg
    3 Bordesley Pretoria rd.[1].jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 5 Bordesley Bordesley Green at Churchill Rd.jpg
    5 Bordesley Bordesley Green at Churchill Rd.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Bordesley Green Snooker Hall & Vic.jpg
    Bordesley Green Snooker Hall & Vic.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 5
What fantastic pictures, I recognised every location as if it was Yesterday.
3rd picture is corner of Pretoria Rd and Bordesley Green,4th is Between Crown Rd and Bangor Rd last is junction between Bordeslety Green, Blake Lane and Churchill Rd.
Thanks from one very happy postie

Thank you for adding location names, Postie. If you could do the same for pics 1, 2 & 3. I can recall some places but not the detail of others. I am aware some of these photos have appeared on BHF before, but I thought it would be good to collect them together on 1 thread.

Attachments

• 1 Bordesley Green.jpg
    1 Bordesley Green.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 2 Bordesley Green - Cattell Road - Atlas Pub.[1].JPG
    2 Bordesley Green - Cattell Road - Atlas Pub.[1].JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 3 %20Bordesley%20Garrison%20Lane%20-%20Cattell%20rd[2].JPG
    3 %20Bordesley%20Garrison%20Lane%20-%20Cattell%20rd[2].JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 5
Hello Shirley
1, The pub on the right is the Victoria and is still there today.
2, is the junction of Garison Lane and Cattell Road
3, is practically the same place, the garage on the right is Atlas Garage.
Thanks again.

Couple of pics.

Attachments

• Bordesley Green (7).jpg
    Bordesley Green (7).jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Bordesley Garrison Lane (3).JPG
    Bordesley Garrison Lane (3).JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 4
This thread began life as "Bordesley" - I'm sorry Postie, but it has apparently become "Bordesley Green" [I don't image that you mind particularly as I know you once lived in one of the Avenues, a hundred yards or so from the Bordesley Green, Blake Lane, Churchill Road junction from which both photos were taken.]
In the older shoot, the lower building on the left is - and still was a few years ago - Jim Plumley's building suppliers' business. In fact, in the more recent picture, he is still trading as a DIY centre. Beyond Jim in the very late '50s, was Kenn's (Torkington) Bicycles, then two private houses, a chippie's, Bruce's Groceries, Beardes' butchers, a general store and then the mind fogs over ....
On the opposite side of Bordesley Green were a newsagent's, a ladies' dress shop, Mr Bruce's son's (Roger's) record shop and again a blur sets in ....
Postie will probably reel off all the businesses on both sides of the road to Bordesley Green Road and beyond !!

Bordesley_Green_28Comparison29.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for giving the locations, Postie. Thank you for the pics Col H & DB. Could anyone name the locations in Col H's pictures?

Thank you for giving the locations, Postie. Thank you for the pics Col H & DB. Could anyone name the locations in Col H's pictures?

Its usually in the file name, but 1; Camp Hill. 2; Holmes Flats, Garrison La, looks like it was taken from the corner of Tilton Rd. 3; Corner of Victoria St & Bordesley Green.

I’ve prepared this after some research so I’ll post it despite the clarification in the previous post. Col h was much faster than me (after all, they were his photos!).

Hello there, Bordesley Exile,
I think the first col h posting must be on the Camp Hill side of Bordesley. We seem to be on the A 4?. The A 45 was/is the Coventry Road. It's on the 37 Hall Green bus route so it can’t be the A 45. It must be the A 41, the Warwick Road;, and the fact that the name of the garage is "The Camp" lead me to my hypothesis. Awaiting correction, I remain, …..
I have no doubt whatsoever about the second shot: it's Garrison Lane just below the Blues' ground. We're heading into town - perhaps on the Number 53; the three cul-de-sacs on the left are three of the four Holmes: South, East and North in that order. West Holme is a continuation of St Andrews Street.
Col h's third photo is the corner between Bordesley Green and Victoria Steet. The photographer is on the diagonal corner, between Bordesley Green and Bordesley Green Road.
Sorry about the first location but someone is bound to be able to either confirm or tell you.
Best wishes, db84124

I’ve prepared this after some research so I’ll post it despite the clarification in the previous post. Col h was much faster than me (after all, they were his photos!).

Hello there, Bordesley Exile,
I think the first col h posting must be on the Camp Hill side of Bordesley. We seem to be on the A 4?. The A 45 was/is the Coventry Road. It's on the 37 Hall Green bus route so it can’t be the A 45. It must be the A 41, the Warwick Road;, and the fact that the name of the garage is "The Camp" lead me to my hypothesis. Awaiting correction, I remain, …..
I have no doubt whatsoever about the second shot: it's Garrison Lane just below the Blues' ground. We're heading into town - perhaps on the Number 53; the three cul-de-sacs on the left are three of the four Holmes: South, East and North in that order. West Holme is a continuation of St Andrews Street.
Col h's third photo is the corner between Bordesley Green and Victoria Steet. The photographer is on the diagonal corner, between Bordesley Green and Bordesley Green Road.
Sorry about the first location but someone is bound to be able to either confirm or tell you.
Best wishes, db84124

First location, so I'm told, would have been what you would have seen if you drove under bordesley bridge and turned left away from town.

Thanks all for the smashing photos. The pictures of the junction of Garrison Lane and Cattell Road remind me of when I was cycling to work and the wheel of my bike caught in the tram lines and I came a cropper. Fortunately I was not badly hurt and there was not a tram coming.

It is too late for Cadeau to give me lessons.

Old Boy

the photos of bordesley are brilliant spent many years round little green lane
and cattell rd as a kid thanks for showing them.
keith.

Hi there I,m not from Bordesley i come from just across the border in VAUXHALL as kids we used to venture out on our bikes and play on Bordesley Tip it was not a garbage tip just rubble as i remember great for riding your bike up and down also there was an area called the Meadway happy days Dek

Custard House Farm : announcement 20.10.1746 Aris's Gazette.
To be Lett (and entered into on Lady-Day). An Estate at Bordesley, in the Parish of aston, two Miles from Birmingham, known by the name of Custard House Farm, now in the tenure of Edward Yardley, of about the Yearly Rent of 80/- per Annum, the House, Barn, Stables and other Buildings, in very good order. Enquire of Mr George Riland, of Sutton Coldfield, Mr william Saddler of Castle Bromwich, or of Mr Thomas Fisher, Attorney at Law, in New St, Birmingham.

Always thought Custard Hse Farm was owned by Bob Monkhous's Grandfather. The one who founded Bird and Monkhouse custard .

Back