• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blocksidges of Winson Green / Handsworth

S

Stuart Brookes

My paternal Grandmother was Ellen May Blocksidge, born in Winson Green, Her parents were Edwin and Kate, who lived up Ford Street, then Devonshire Street.

I know Kate ran the 'Princess Alexandra' and then an outdoor. My nan was the oldest of 4 kids, Ellen, Beat, Mill and Ted.

Have traced the family back to a marriage between Stephen Blocksidge and Nancey Trickett on 21 feb 1793, at St Martins, Birmingham.

Does anyone have any information on the family, past or present?

Hi Stuart,
Have found 20 with the Blocksidge surname in Warwicks. Rather than list them all here contact me in a pm if you are interested. Cheers,
Grace

Hi Stuart, have a look under "Neighbours & Streets" John Houghton has posted a list of businesses in Lichfield Road, Aston in 1964, and there is a Blocksidge listed.

Blocksidge

Hello :
There are 3 Blocksidge names on the database for WW1 Canadian Expeditionary Forces.
https://data4.collectionscanada.ca/...canada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html&r=0&f=S

Arthur Edward Jesse Blocksidge - born Aug. 4th, 1898
Born: Heakly, Birmingham, England
NOK - Mother: Fanny Caroline Blocksidge
----

Benjamin Blocksidge, Born: Dec. 28th, 1887
born: Birmingham
Nok - mother: Mrs. Thomas Butler
--------

Walter Joseph Blocksidge, Born Apr. 17th, 1892
Born: Birmingham
NOK - Mother - Mrs. E.A. Pring

You can view and print out the original attestation papers online.If you think one of these may be a close relative then WW1 records are available by writing to Ottawa, Ontario
Good luck in your research
Isobel

Hello, my maiden name was 'Blocksidge'. My father was a Thorneywork but adopted by his mother's sister who was married to Harry Blocksidge. Dad was born in Bacchus Road, Winson Green as so was his cousin, Stan Kent. Stan's mother was another sister of dad's mother. Dad's aunt and uncle emigrated to New Zealand, taking Stan with them.
The latter part of this text I guess is of no consequence to you doing the family tree but I do have a photo of Harry Blocksidge if you think it is of the same line that you are investigating. Best wishes.

Back