• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bleak Hill Road, B23

hi sabir...its always interesting if our members can give us a bit of background as to why they are interested in different streets and roads...such as if you have an interest because family lived there years ago...we like to take an interest as we maybe able to help further

lyn

hi sabir...its always interesting if our members can give us a bit of background as to why they are interested in different streets and roads...such as if you have an interest because family lived there years ago...we like to take an interest

lyn
Hi, I am purchasing a house on Bleak Hill Road to live in.
I love history and would like to know more about the street, when the houses were made, etc etc.

Look Forward to a reply, thanks

A little bit of history here...
.....with a photograph by the late Keith Berry.
View attachment 157076

From Bill Dargue’s site above…

“A windmill was built on this windy spot sometime after 1760; it ceased operation before the end of the 19th century.”

From Windmills of Birmingham and the Black Country by McKenna, Joseph.

”Bleak Hills mill was situated just east of Witton Upper Pools. It was built sometime after 1760, as it is not shown on the Erdington Estate map of that year. Certainly it was in operation by 1814, and in 1830 being worked by a Miller called Oldacre. Elizabeth Oldacre, possible his widow, was in possession in 1834, though the mill was owned by the Handworth landowner Wyrley Birch. The mill had ceased operation by the end of the 19th Century.”

Occasionally I used to walk from Marsh Hill down Bleak Hill Road to Perry Common/Short Heath Road. What a slog that was. Marsh Hill Girls School entrance was opposite Bleak Hill Road at the junction with Marsh Hill. Never walked up it on the way to school, only ever down it after school. Then we’d catch the #28 to Kingstanding. It was too hard and time consuming to walk up to school in the morning, so we’d stay on the #28 bus to Streetly Road and get another bus up that hill (can’t remember the number, maybe the #65?).

In the summer a walk down Bleak Hill to Short Heath Park was very nice. When the grass was tall it was lovely to go and hide in there and catch the sun. Sort of one of those famous Cadbury Flake advertisement moments !

The other thing I remember about Bleak Hill (we always called it that not Bleak Hill Road) was waiting for the coach outside the shop on the corner of Bleak Hill/ Marsh Hill to take us to some hockey game on Saturdays. Usually frosty and cold, and although the question “why on Earth am I doing this when I could be in bed ?” usually crossed my mind, I couldn’t back out as I was Team Captain (through 3 years of cold winters) and enjoyed the thrill of winning - well sometimes.

Viv.

Last edited:
Back