• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Blackham family

sheri

master brummie
My Gt.Grandfather was Henry Blackham. His five daughters were all French Polishers and his son an upholsterer. I've got them in this occupation until census 1891 after which most of the girls except one married.
In 1937 when my parents married they bought their furniture at cost through a relative of my father. I think this family had a furniture manufacturers somewhere in New St. as my father said the name was still up on the wall? - now whether this was in 1937 or in later years, I don't know (of course didn't ask what the name was).
Henry's brother John in 1851 was a Nailer (I have all the details) who became a Plated Head Nail Maker by 1871 employing 18 people. By 1881 he's living in Bath Row and still a manufacturer. By 1901 John't son Albert is a manufacturer of Gas Metre's and Weighing Machines.
Can anyone help me find out about this furniture manufacturers in New St
from 1881 onwards.
I've looked in a few trade directories but don't quite know what I'm looking for and you are all so knowledgeable.
Sorry if this is a bit long winded.
Sheri

Furniture Shops

Hi Sheri,:) Furniture shops/addresses & names of Owners would be in
the Kelly,s directories, Some years available on this site,
Suggest you post your Names & addresses on the Kelly,s section,
Also you could try the Electoral Rolls, 1918/20/25/30/35 at
www.midlandshistoricaldata.org pay-per-view but not expensive Ok.
Good Luck & best regards John Y :cool:

re blackham family

Thanks John - will try that. I wanted to put this message on the site but couldn't remember how to do it.
Sheri

hello sheri

my dads grandmother was albina blackham daughter of william and ellen blackham from dudley any relation?

regards susen

Hi Sheri
The attached is from the 1940 Kelly's. Jas woodhouse is the only house frnisher listed in New St then. It looks almost as if they were in the same building as the Forum cinema, or maybe I'm missreading it.

Mike

I have been trying to recall the name of the shop where a cousin worked, thanks Mike it was Millicents. :) My cousin did alterations, by hand, she was a wonderful seamstress.

Wish I could picture what was next to it. I know Millicents was a double fronted shop with two large windows, and near to a corner. The only useful info is that I am pretty sure the Forum wasn't the next building to the shop.

Last edited:
Di
Millicents seem to have disappeared by 1964. At least I don't think any of these were the same shop
Mike

Thank you Mike, I wonder if the shop in Callthorpe Road might be the same owner. I can't recall when my cousin stopped working for the shop. Sadly she died when very young.

Hi Susen, I don't have an Albina Blackham nor a William/Ellen but that dosen't mean they are not there because I'm sure there are a lot more children than I've got recorded. But I have a lot of connections with Tipton/Rowley Regis/Dudley/Birmingham. The Blackham family is large and there are many branches but I have a feeling they may have originated in
Sedgley, Staffordshire. What do you thi nk and what are the dates for Albina.
Sheri

hello sheri

if you email me on rachkyle@hotmail.com i will send you an invite to my family tree on tribalpages and you can see if there was a connection.

albina blackham married william churchill and they moved from tipton to birmingham.

thanks susen

Back