• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bit Of A Puzzle.

barrie

master brummie
My Bro-in-Law has asked me to pose this question. In the hall of his sons school there is a plaque, the plaque is dedicated to "The Fallen of The Great War 1914-1919"

As the war ended in 1918, why does it say 1914-1919? I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

Thank you.
barrie.

Hi Barrie: Re the plaque you mention. It could have something to do with the Treaty of Versailles which was signed on 28 June, 1919 in Paris quite a while after the Armastice which was in place on November 11,1918 Have a look at the Wikipedia site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I

It ended officially with this..

The Treaty of Versaille was signed on 28th June 1919.

Oh trust YOU Jennyann, the only bit of info I already knew, YOU have to jump in! :)

Barrie. Hello Mate, Its only a guess that some died from their injures after the war ended and they may have wished to include them.
Sorry those first answers beat me, such a clever lot on here. I took so long with my spell check anyway.

Last edited:
The Armistice (11-11-18) saw the end of the war in France and Belgium, however, British troops known as the NORTH RUSSIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCE 1918-1919 was sent to Archangel. Over 600 British troops were killed and wounded during the period assisting 'White Russians' fight the Bolsheviks.

Terry

Hey Les: Great minds think alike......a photo finish time wise. Spooky eh.

You are so demure about your knowledge though. :)

Back