• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishops Street CIRCA 1814

priscilla.lorraine.thomas

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find the location of (or ANY information on) Bishops Street as it existed in 1814 Birmingham. I have an ancestor's birth certificate from Oct 1814 stating residence was Bishops Street.

My 1839 map only shows an empty space between other streets in the location where Bishops Street exists now so I don't think that is where it existed in 1814. It must have been in another location in 1814 I think.

Any help locating Bishops street circa 1814 would be deeply appreciated. This ancestor has been a mysterious brick wall in my research.
Can anyone help?

it could always be a mistake on your 1839 map or as you suggest bishop st could have been somewhere else in 1814..birth certificates did not exist in 1814 so i assume its a parish record you have for the birth...could you give us the name of your ancestor...hopefully our map experts maybe able to help you with this

lyn

The Bishop St running between Masshouse Lane and Chapel St, unmarked on the 1839 map appears to be mentioned a number of times in the newspapers in the 1810s, so seems to have existed.

Here is a map c 1824 . Bishop St can just be read in a very close position to the 1880s map. Mapping in 1824 was possibly not so exact. In passing it should be stated that in 1770 and 1777 directories John Gill, attorney was at 143 Moor St

map c1824 showing Bishop St.jpg

hopefully the poster will log back on and read all the posts made and answer our questions which could be useful

it could always be a mistake on your 1839 map or as you suggest bishop st could have been somewhere else in 1814..birth certificates did not exist in 1814 so i assume its a parish record you have for the birth...could you give us the name of your ancestor...hopefully our map experts maybe able to help you with this

lyn
Yes, it was not a birth certificate, but a record. My ancestor's name is Thomas Millard, born of Thomas Millard and Sarah. Also appearing with a variant of that name, Millward in coordinating records. Father was a snuffer maker.

Thank you so much for the helpful response... In this particular crop of the map I do not see Bishops Street.
I see Jennens Row which is another Street associated with my ancestor.
Is Bishop street near that?
Could you indicate what streets Bishop street is near?
It is possible there is a problem with the resolution of the image as it appears on my computer in this thread. I tried clicking on the image hoping it would link to the full map but it does not appear to
Bishop St is parallel to Jennens Row, look right of the A in Masshouse Lane, thanks to Mikejee's C.1834 mapmap c1824 showing Bishop St.jpg4 map

I am trying to find the location of (or ANY information on) Bishops Street as it existed in 1814 Birmingham. I have an ancestor's birth certificate from Oct 1814 stating residence was Bishops Street.

My 1839 map only shows an empty space between other streets in the location where Bishops Street exists now so I don't think that is where it existed in 1814. It must have been in another location in 1814 I think.

Any help locating Bishops street circa 1814 would be deeply appreciated. This ancestor has been a mysterious brick wall in my research.
Can anyone help?
hi prescilla...ive just looked up the baptism for thomas millard and it says place of residence was jennings row /jennens row not bishop st..just thought i would mention it...bapt at st martins church which of course is still there...i take it you have his marriage cert to lucy at harborne parish church ?

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn - there are 2 possible baptisms. The one you found
1696960336796.png

and this one which seems to be spelt Millward
1696960382430.png
both registered at St Martin's

Lyn - there are 2 possible baptisms. The one you found
View attachment 185027

and this one which seems to be spelt Millward
View attachment 185028
both registered at St Martin's
right jan..i went for that one because i thought prescilla said the birth was oct 1814 but its odd how all the info on both bapts are the same except for the address..even that is only one street apart..

lyn

hi prescilla...ive just looked up the baptism for thomas millard and it says place of residence was jennings row /jennens row not bishop st..just thought i would mention it...bapt at st martins church which of course is still there...i take it you have his marriage cert to lucy at harborne parish church ?

lyn
Thank you Lyn!
I thought that had to be a typo as I could not find any history of a Jennings Row. Now I need to find Jennings Street.
There was a mention of a Jennings Street being renamed to Fox Street but that looks like it is right next to Jennings Row so that Jennings Street would not be in the St Martin Parish.
Oh so much to keep track of...
Thank you for noticing the St Martin location. I am assuming people would only go to the church in their parish so that would rule out Jennens Row if he went to St Martins. I do not have the marriage cert to lucy at Harborne Parish... very interesting. I saw that he was listed as a widower when he married Sarah Freeman.
What was Lucy's last name?
I do believe you have saved me from going down the wrong road on this and I thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Thank you Lyn!
I thought that had to be a typo as I could not find any history of a Jennings Row. Now I need to find Jennings Street.
There was a mention of a Jennings Street being renamed to Fox Street but that looks like it is right next to Jennings Row so that Jennings Street would not be in the St Martin Parish.
Oh so much to keep track of...
Thank you for noticing the St Martin location. I am assuming people would only go to the church in their parish so that would rule out Jennens Row if he went to St Martins. I do not have the marriage cert to lucy at Harborne Parish... very interesting. I saw that he was listed as a widower when he married Sarah Freeman.
What was Lucy's last name?
I do believe you have saved me from going down the wrong road on this and I thank you very much for your help and guidance

i think we need to go slowly prescilla as i could be wrong...if you go back to post 21 you will see 2 possible baptisms...i found the first one dated march 27th 1815 with a birth given of oct 1814 and janice spotted another possible.. no birth date given but the bapt was 7th of nov 1814...both state parents thomas and sarah and both state fathers occ as snuffer maker..slight variation on spelling of last name and 2 different addresses of jennings row and bishop street which if you look on the map on post 7 you will see they were next to each other...what we need to know is which is the correct baptism for your thomas ?

lyn

i think we need to go slowly prescilla as i could be wrong...if you go back to post 21 you will see 2 possible baptisms...i found the first one dated march 27th 1815 with a birth given of oct 1814 and janice spotted another possible.. no birth date given but the bapt was 7th of nov 1814...both state parents thomas and sarah and both state fathers occ as snuffer maker..slight variation on spelling of last name and 2 different addresses of jennings row and bishop street which if you look on the map on post 7 you will see they were next to each other...what we need to know is which is the correct baptism for your thomas ?

lyn
I will research that... many thanks

Back