• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bishop Ryder Junior And Infant School

• Thread starter Thread starter Bernard Myers
  • Start date Start date
hello pam
my sisters went to the school around that time elsie. maureen. pat. kathleen. regarding families living in the area in lawrence st i remember the gardeners the connels the masons the chicks. the kirby's not forgetting morris's sweet shop.

bernie

Hi first time on this site, the mason's you remember from Laurence street would that be John,Ann or me violet hope to hear from you.

Yes we lived at 56, what was the name of your family, and what year are we talking.i remember the James at No 57 then the entry next the mahony's

My Nan lived in "A" terrace almost opposite your house in Lawrence street My friend Christine lived in your yard , I think we were older than you I can only remember Les Your Brother ? he and chris used to like each other . I can see them now walking down Ryder street arm in arm hoping that her Mother wouldn't see them

Yes we lived at 56, what was the name of your family, and what year are we talking.i remember the James at No 57 then the entry next the mahony's
Trying to send you an instant message but it seems to be disabled. My Grandparents lived at 57 from the early forties up until my Grandfather died in 64 and my father lived there also until 1955. The name wasn't James but the house was next to the shop.

Trying to send you an instant message but it seems to be disabled. My Grandparents lived at 57 from the early forties up until my Grandfather died in 64 and my father lived there also until 1955. The name wasn't James but the house was next to the shop.

I can recall the manning's living next door to Morrison shop on corner and having a grandson called matthew

My Nan lived in "A" terrace almost opposite your house in Lawrence street My friend Christine lived in your yard , I think we were older than you I can only remember Les Your Brother ? he and chris used to like each other . I can see them now walking down Ryder street arm in arm hoping that her Mother wouldn't see them

What was the surname of Christine, was it evens I phoned les and he remembers her,he was asking if it was evens are you still in touch with her, he always goes to summer lane school reunion.

Hello Violet, yes we are talking about the same girl, I last saw your brother a few years ago at Witton cemetery, and we spoke about Chris then. Unfortunately she is quite poorly at the moment, we visited her in hospital last Thursday, when she is up to it I will tell her about this site and talk about the old times.

Hi yes I was at bishop Ryder and lived in Laurence st . I remember mrs green,mrs Ramsey, mr Jacobs. I was there from around 1955 also recall school dinner's was served in Kyle hall in sheep st.

Thank for photo, I do not recall library but do remember the small building at the side. I think my eldest sister Sylvia got married in the church, also running to our back door to hear the bell ringing.after it was demolished they built a school library on the site.

GostaGreenAstonSt1937.jpg

Aston Rd further along the street with Digby Street to the left and Love Lane to the right, the pub on the right was the General Wolfe which survived until about the eighties?.

just remembered about Bishop Ryder Church, in the 40s and 50s there were always lots of weddings. Every Saturday Chris and myself would wait outside for the wedding party to emerge so we could "pick up the confetti " to throw around. When the photo's were being taken, we would position ourselves in the group and appeared in many strangers wedding photos.! can you imagine that happening these days when everything is so posed and organised?

Hello Brumgum, Many, Many thanks. You have just shown me a picture of the sweet shop on the corner of Digby street where I used to buy my sweets from. { in the 30s.} I spent many an hour just staring in that window because I did not have a ha'penny.
I am now in floods of tears. I suppose you could call it self pity but this is why I have really never looked into my past. I find it too upsetting.Just sitting here in the comfort of my home back then seems a part of someone else' life not mine. I suppose we all deal with the war in our own way.
Must be coffee time, thank you again Brumgum
Betty

hi bernie...i have an interest in the pic you posted on post 46 of the bishop ryder class photo in perticular one of the pupils...can you remember where you got it from and are there any names of the pupils

thanks bernie

lyn

just a thought, was your Mom's bouquet made by the sisters who lived in you'r Nan's yard? most of the neighbours had their wedding and funeral flowers from them. One the houses or brewhouses were turned into a florists work room. It smelt lovely . they stored the flowers there and also sold from a pitch up town, the last few years their pitch was outside Rackhams.

just a thought, was your Mom's bouquet made by the sisters who lived in you'r Nan's yard? most of the neighbours had their wedding and funeral flowers from them. One the houses or brewhouses were turned into a florists work room. It smelt lovely . they stored the flowers there and also sold from a pitch up town, the last few years their pitch was outside Rackhams.
Dad says it was Mrs Page's place they used next to your friend Christine, her husband was a chimney sweep and had died leaving the office he used empty. The sisters took it over for their florist business. Dad think's the bouquet was made by the sisters one named Mrs clamp! (this is all sounding a bit Dickensian now:abnormal:)
Dad says his Mom had flowers off the sister every week. I remember being with mom in town and her talking with the ladies outside Rackhams, the one old lady always had a lovely smile, i just got goose pimples writing this:sorrow:.

bernie ive just looked at carls site and it will help me in my research as the pic actually say class s 1V...so when i go to the archives dept at the library i can ask if i can see the names of the pupils for that class in 1922...

thanks again..
lyn

Brumgum, the older member of the florist's family lived in Nan's yard her name was Mrs. Tamplin, and her two daughters who made up the flowers in your Dad's yard were Cath and Mary !

Brumgum, the older member of the florist's family lived in Nan's yard her name was Mrs. Tamplin, and her two daughters who made up the flowers in your Dad's yard were Cath and Mary !
Yes you're correct, i remember that name now:biggrin:

Hi folks,
I am a newbie and this is my first post so please excuse any mistakes ,is there anyone out there who attended bishop ryder school in gem street or live in that area ie ryder st. lawrence st. sheep st. between 1956 and 1963 the head mistress was mrs goodall and deputy was mr rawlins the only teachers i remember are mrs bull and mr pullen. doe's anyone out there remember this school.

Kind regards Bernie
There's a nice account of the school and the area here..

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+forgotten+name+etched+in+history.-a0313301615

I'm sure you are right about Mrs Morris, but do you remember the little shop in Ryder Street? I think they only sold pop!!In Rder Street one half opened up into a yard in Gem street and the other half had a yard entrance in Old Cross Street. Which yard were you in?
I remember the shop called queenies the lady serving was old and blind but knew how much money was given in her hand.

Dad says it was Mrs Page's place they used next to your friend Christine, her husband was a chimney sweep and had died leaving the office he used empty. The sisters took it over for their florist business. Dad think's the bouquet was made by the sisters one named Mrs clamp! (this is all sounding a bit Dickensian now:abnormal:)
Dad says his Mom had flowers off the sister every week. I remember being with mom in town and her talking with the ladies outside Rackhams, the one old lady always had a lovely smile, i just got goose pimples writing this:sorrow:.
I lived in one of the hoses that came onto the yard, and can remember mrs page living on her own her family was in Wales , the sisters who had the flowers were named price as a child we used to collect rose petals from outside warehouse in the yard and make rosé water.

I lived in one of the hoses that came onto the yard, and can remember mrs page living on her own her family was in Wales , the sisters who had the flowers were named price as a child we used to collect rose petals from outside warehouse in the yard and make rosé water.

Yes, my grandparents lived next door to you and my Mom and Dad and my brother.

What year are talking,the names I recall are Warwick, evens,fellows,page,murphy, manming,James and Mahoney I'm talking 1961/2.

Back