• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham's Working Horses

could be worth going throught this thread

Think it must be Upper Priory as identified by Mike on another thread. But maybe pre-motorised vehicles? Or perhaps the horses were getting ready for a parade? I think there might be a vehicle behind them, but not sure. In any case an example of the transition to motorised engines. Thanks all.

Screenshot_20240807_191858_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240807_190649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240807_191200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Think it must be Upper Priory as identified by Mike on another thread. But maybe pre-motorised vehicles? Or perhaps the horses were getting ready for a parade? I think there might be a vehicle behind them, but not sure. In any case an example of the transition to motorised engines. Thanks all.

View attachment 193780

View attachment 193778

View attachment 193779
Any thoughts on the vintage of the top picture? The turn of the century bought a lot of development with/for motorized vehicles, if it were 1905 or so we would have seen these changes. Just thinking out loud! Great pics BTW.

Until it was mentioned on a recent TV prog about heavy horses I hadn't realised that in 1930's Corona (Thomas & Evans) operated a fleet of horse drawn vehicles from their James Road Tyseley depot.

Back