• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham University

Winterbourne was only gifted to the university in 1944, which I would have thought was after his reign at the university.

It might be worth contacting Winterbourne to see if they can help - I thought the garden was laid out in the early 1900s.
1635510477293.png

Last edited:
In the background to the photo is post #30 I think htere is a flagpole. In which case that plus the info in the link in post 37 about the Bramall Building means that I think it might be roughly where the red marker is on this c1917 map (before that building existed). However, that is only a guess.
1635514939571.png

Last edited:
In 1977, Arthur Kaiser and his mother Evelyn pursued a college career called the Kaiser School in Fort Lauderdale to prepare students better to work in Florida's emerging business and medical communities.

I was a student at the asa miami campus. In my third year of studies, I had the chance and privilege to go on an exchange program at Birmingham University. I loved spending time there and have some of the best memories from there. I remember very well the Grange Road, where the old Ariel motor-bike factory used to be. It was just a short road, and opposite the junction of it with Bristol Road was a pub (I hope it is still there), set back from the main Bristol Road. I used to spend half of my time at that pub with my friends.

Last edited:
Do they still have Rag Week with the parade of floats etc through town at the end? I can remember joining in one year on the back of a lorry. We used to go to dances at the students union. There always seemed to be lots of Chemical Engineers studying there.

I was at the Uni in the 70s and spent VERY MUCH of my time in the Students Union! Is it still there? I acquired a picture in 2013 but I don't know when it's from:

5 Birmingham Uni Students Union.jpg.

Do they still have Rag Week with the parade of floats etc through town at the end? I can remember joining in one year on the back of a lorry. We used to go to dances at the students union. There always seemed to be lots of Chemical Engineers studying there.
I think the Rag Week as a parade of floats finished in the early 1970s.

Birmingham University Council and Academy and Staff, 1901. Joseph Chamberlain, who was Chancellor, sits in the centre of the front row.
(Birmingham at Work)

E6A47564-A0F1-4147-901F-6B7F1D29C35D.jpeg

Tip o'the hat to Jennie Lee. The OU library at Milton Keynes is named in her honour. Fond recollections of three and a half years of my Arts Faculty Studentship in the late 1980s. I am grateful to the supervision of Graham Martin and Dennis Walder. Met P.N. Furbank and Frank Kermode. Stuart Hall taught there having moved from Birmingham. I did realise then how fortunate I was and the experience changed my life. MA from Birmingham helped prepare me for an interview with with a room of twenty odd academics, most of the Arts Faculty! Not forgetting Cicely Haveley who employed me at the OU summer schools at York.

Last edited:
Back