• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Railway and Carriage Works (BRCW); employee lists

Findwilliam

proper brummie kid
This was a major employer in the area. I remember it turning out new diesel locos (one a week) in the late 50s and early 1960s -- an exciting thing to me as a trainspotter. I saw a new one every time I went up the 'baggies' (the factory was near Hawthorns Halt, a station used for football specials on match days.

But my great great grandfather worked there in the late 19th century too (he brought his family from Cheltenham to live in Watvill St, West Bromwich) and many other of my family worked there too.

So I wondered if anyone knows of any papers from the company that still exist anywhere. It would be good to tie such records up to ancestors.

If there are any simialr records for other Birmingham and region companies, it would be good to collate references to them I guess.

Specific BRCW Links:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36173

https://www.railalbum.co.uk/diesel/class33-1.htm

https://www.hmilburn.easynet.co.uk/enthuse/diesel/locos/d0260.htm

https://www.therailwaycentre.com/Pages Loco/Recognition loco/Illus_27.html

Findwilliam. My Uncle worked for Metro Camel in Saltley, If only there were records for those empluyees.
Very sorry I cannot help with info.

Wendy i am on the photo of the channel tunnel trainset is you brother on there and how long did he work there for every body new me there i was there for 26 years

Mossy

Mossy my brother is Bob Jennings he went to Alstom after Coke a Cola closed. He worked in the offices not sure when he started. We are going to stay with him and his wife the weekend so I will ask and let you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
My father worked at the "Carriage". He was there during the war welding tanks, then after the war railway work started again. His name was George Bingham. He passed on 25yrs ago now. But I really would like to know more. I never really knew where the carriage works was, apart from knowing her when towards Smethwick way.

After finishing at the carriage he went to Jensen Motors.

I hope that someone may recall him.

Thanks

Steve Bingham

Hi - my dad William John Barnett was a foreman frame fitter until his untimely death in July 1955. His friend was Les Clark who lived in Smethwick. Brings a lump to my throat as I was only 7 when he died and feel I never knew him, just felt I had to reply to your message when I saw the message re the carriage works. kind regards.

Hello Sue

Thank you for your lovely reply. I do understand how you must feel. My father was in mid 40s when I come along and he was a hard working black n white/ straight down the line kind of chap. I think I was viewed as a rebelious teenager and we never really shared a close bond. Unlike I do with my lad now. As I said in my post I never really knew where the Carriage was, I would ask and he would just say "Far end of West Brom".

I remember him coming home filthy, his overalls peppered with holes from the welding rods. Bathing his eyes in a milk solution after getting "Ark eye".

It's only when they have gone you realise just how much time you wasted, time we both should have made an effort to chat.

He used to recall his war time at the carriage, welding inside a tank until he could not see the ark of the welding rod due to the build up of smoke, so he would climb in the tank behind and start on that one till the same situation occured, then he would return to the first tank, hopefully clear of the smoke. It was this period of time that brought his life to a short end, he suffered terribly with breathing problems.

I am sorry but I do not know any names of people from the carriage, it sounds as though our fathers must have known each other though.

Take care

Regards

Steve

,Successive Governments over the years have caused first the decline and then the end of carriage manufactoring in this
country, orders have been placed in Italy and other places rather than going to British firms in Birmingham, Derby and
other towns.We should be more like other counties and look after our workers first. Its too late now,but people like Geoff
Hoon should hang their heads in shame for giving away work than could be done here. Bernard

Back