• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham pubs used for gigs by famous musicians or groups?

I'd forgotten Le Metro! Good place, good music (most of the time). Didn't Harvey Andrews have a hand in starting up this place?

G

John Lee Hooker and Jesse Fuller appeared there, but I didn't see them, sorry to say. Did see Robert Plant's Band Of Joy there. It was a small place in the arches under Snow Hill Station, and could get incredibly packed out. There was a bar, and I think they did snacks. It changed ownership and its name, don't know the details.

G

The club was called Holy City Zoo in later years, I went there once in the early 90's, it had been expanded over 2 arches.

Thanks A Sparks,

if Robert Plant was on just the once at Le Metro, then that's the night! Good find! Any idea what year that poster refers to, and where did you find it?

I used to go to the Saturday night concerts at the CAT, now Aston University. Saw some good bands there, including The Bonzo Dog Band, Steam Packet and Brian Auger Trinity.

G

It's from Birmingham Music Archive website, Found it when I put Le Metro Birmingham into Google search, scroll down that page.
I don't think it says the year the advert comes from though.

I'd forgotten all about the Music Archive website and haven't looked in there for ages, but very interesting - thanks again! You know what they say - if you can remember the Sixties, you weren't there! At a guess I'd say that poster would be 1967/68, but I may be way out.

G

I totally agree about Fleetwood Mac being at their best with Peter Green - and I also saw them at The Swan, Yardley, so maybe I rubbed shoulders with Ray T and Elmdon Boy! The later F Mac seems a bit too 'glam' for me, their earthy-bluesy feel long gone, unfortunately.

Peter Green was something of a guitar-hero of mine, and I saw him with John Mayall Bluesbreakers I think at Mothers, and also in Brighton. One of my most-played cd's is Peter Green covering Robert Johnson songs. I saw The Who (and lots of other bands) at Birmingham University Students Union, and also at Midnight City, which was a strange place if ever there was one. No drinks licence! Cream played there too, and I must have been there, as I was (and still am) a huge fan, but blowed if I can remember! That was the Sixties for you!

G

thanks for the jolt G just remembered that i also went to the birm uni students union ..far as i recall it was no more than twice..this would have been about 71...no idea who i saw though so maybe not anyone really famous

lyn

if Robert Plant was on just the once at Le Metro, then that's the night! Good find! Any idea what year that poster refers to, and where did you find it?
Robert Plants Band of Joy was formed in 1967, and was disbanded in May 1968, so the year at the Le Metro was probably July 1967. The drummer was fellow Brummie John Bonham also of Led Zepp.

thanks for the jolt G just remembered that i also went to the birm uni students union ..far as i recall it was no more than twice..this would have been about 71...no idea who i saw though so maybe not anyone really famous

lyn

Lyn after reading Mick Fleetwoods Autobio , it would appear that poor old Peter went slightly off course , Mick says in his book at one of their concerts years later. Peter was there and the fans found out , Fans wanted him to play one of his classics , he unfortunately couldn't understand why or if in fact he was up to it . MF said it was a pity to see such a musician of that calibre that confused , he managed to play it and walked off ignoring the acknowledgement from the fans

yes a shame john but there again back then a lot of musicians and singers came of the track...luckily a lot managed to get back on

lyn

yes a shame john but there again back then a lot of musicians and singers came of the track...luckily a lot managed to get back on

lyn

Yes Lyn I know that only too well in the late evening/early morning of 2nd/3rd of July 1969 my all time hero as a musician passed from this life at the young age of 27 . Brian Jones founder of The Rolling Stones RIP , probably the most articulate artist in the 60's he only had to look at an instrument within 2weeks he was well adept with the instrument

I've been to 17 Eldorado Rd where he used to live prior to moving to London , I've also been to Bouncers Lane cemetary to see where he's buried

What makes you say that then Big Gee

WS, if you yourself think that L Buckingham was the world's greatest ever guitar-player, then fine by me. As a guitar-player myself, I just don't think he was. And playing without a plectrum is extremely common - it's called 'finger style'.

G

WS, if you yourself think that L Buckingham was the world's greatest ever guitar-player, then fine by me. As a guitar-player myself, I just don't think he was. And playing without a plectrum is extremely common - it's called 'finger style'.

G

Yes G I did know that I'm sure a hell of a lot of accoustic players play that way from such as Segovia and also a majority of flamenco guitarists etc

Totally agree with you Williamstreet with regards Brian Jones. He was my favourite Stone from that era. As you say he could play virtually any instrument he laid his hand on.
What a shame he could not handle the limelight and publicity like the other members of the band could. The bands bad publicity was considered good publicity by the rest, but when the police started hounding them all, he sought sanctuary in drugs. Becoming totally addicted he could not be relied upon by the rest of the rest of the group, failing to turn up at recording sessions and dates, and finally being sacked. He hardly turned up at all for there Let it Bleed album. What a shame.
I went to the free concert in Hyde Park in the summer of 69 just weeks after his death, very emotional.
With regards Williamstreet and Big Gs choice of favourite guitarist, well music is very subjective thank goodness, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same. I think both of there choices are very good in there different styles.
In the early 60s when at school you were in the Beatles or the Stones camp, well I loved them both.
In the late 60s I had a motorbike, the Stones were considered the group of choice, for the scooter boys it was the Who or The Small Faces. Once again I loved all three. I still do, I guess I just love good music. Everything from Matt Monroe to AC DC.
Cant say I'm fond of rap though, but I guess it has its place for the kids that love it.

well said elmdon boy...i was only saying today to someone today what a boring world it would be if we all liked and disliked the same things... good post

lyn

OK guys, I accept my admonishment in good grace! Years ago a friend took me to a guitarists concert at a church hall, and to my horror it was all Flamenco! Now I'm fully aware that Flamenco is very popular the world over, and requires advanced guitar skills - it's just that I can't listen to it for more than a few minutes!
It works both ways - I can listen to Django Reinhardt all day, but that kind of playing drives my wife barmy!
Bob Dylan has a similar effect on most people I know....yet I can listen to his stuff all day.

Same as EB in the Sixties I was into The Who, Faces, Animals, Spencer Davis (being a loyal Brummie), John Mayall and - amazingly - The Walker Brothers.

Purely out of interest, the past few years I've developed a taste for what's generally labelled as 'Americana', and if anyone fancies a listen to this then YouTube Brooks Williams, Boo Hewerdine or Townes Vanzant. Easy listening, but good musicianship too.

Right - it's Christmas, so everyone have a wonderful time, and I hope in the morning in my pillow-case will be the signature Fender Telecaster I've always wanted....but somehow I doubt it.

G

Totally agree with you Williamstreet with regards Brian Jones. He was my favourite Stone from that era. As you say he could play virtually any instrument he laid his hand on.
What a shame he could not handle the limelight and publicity like the other members of the band could. The bands bad publicity was considered good publicity by the rest, but when the police started hounding them all, he sought sanctuary in drugs. Becoming totally addicted he could not be relied upon by the rest of the rest of the group, failing to turn up at recording sessions and dates, and finally being sacked. He hardly turned up at all for there Let it Bleed album. What a shame.
I went to the free concert in Hyde Park in the summer of 69 just weeks after his death, very emotional.
With regards Williamstreet and Big Gs choice of favourite guitarist, well music is very subjective thank goodness, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same. I think both of there choices are very good in there different styles.
In the early 60s when at school you were in the Beatles or the Stones camp, well I loved them both.
In the late 60s I had a motorbike, the Stones were considered the group of choice, for the scooter boys it was the Who or The Small Faces. Once again I loved all three. I still do, I guess I just love good music. Everything from Matt Monroe to AC DC.
Cant say I'm fond of rap though, but I guess it has its place for the kids that love it.

Elmdon Boy I appreciate your comments , I still hold the News of the World mainly responsible for part Brians demise mainly by hounding him

Some great input on this thread. Interesting reading, thank you. I saw Roger Daltry today in the news. Amazes me how he looks so good, along with a lot of them, when you think of their lifestyles that they had back then!

Some great input on this thread. Interesting reading, thank you. I saw Roger Daltry today in the news. Amazes me how he looks so good, along with a lot of them, when you think of their lifestyles that they had back then!

Well when he's not touring he's had his own fishery for years , and often walks around chatting to the anglers

Eddie Haynes and I played at most of the pubs around so Brum in the 1950s Guess we are famous???? Huh Maurice

1997 i was in a castle pub,in brecon, i had been to the jass festival. and who came in , bonzo doo dah doods. they were playing there
bless em the intruments were ancient .but still as good

John,

You should be, but very few people made real money out of jazz-orientated stuff. :-)

You had some good musicians there and I'd heard or worked with at least three of them. Vince worked with us for several months on a Wednesday night up at that pub in Stirchley, nearly on the bridge. I did quite a few gigs with Johnny Beck, and because we were both keyboards players, Colin & I never actually worked in the same band, but I knew his playing on both vibes & piano well. Johnny Patrick told me of his sad passing when we met up at one of the Birmingham International Jazz Festival gigs in the Jewellery Quarter a few years ago. Happy days! :-) Just a shame we didn't become multi-millionaires!!!! :-)

Maurice :-) (...empties pockets, finds a bunch of keys and a couple of trouser buttons!!!)

Back