• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Polytechnic

SamJ

Brummie babby
Hi,

I worked at Birmingham Poly/BCU and wondered if anyone had any memories from 60/70s/80s of the buildings/special events people who have gone on to make their names out in the world. Anything of significance from your course/tutors etc. For me, i remember working in Feeney building during the Handsworth riots and being told we may have to sleep over as it wasn't safe to go home. We did go home. The grounds of the poly were kept immaculate. The Poly had its own coaches which my aunt used to be part of the team of drivers and she would take the students out on trips. The paternoster lifts in Baker, you either loved or loathed them. When i started there was a lady who used to sit in the lift in Baker and you would tell her what floor you wanted and she would press the button. Mrs Cheshire. Lovely lady.

When in 1970's I studied at North Birmingham one of our part-time lecturers was a young Lucas engineer, he became Baron Kumar Bhattacharyya founder of the Warwick Manufacturing Group.

Last edited:
'Polygon' was the student union newspaper in the mid 70s, here's a few pages from Issue 8 which give an indication of student life at the poly half a century ago.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    960.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg