• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Home for Lost and Starving Dogs

Lyn , I agree it is difficult to get to if you haven't a car but for the animals themselves it is set in green fields not in the city where they cannot be allowed to run.

It is similar to the Dogs trust at Kenilworth.

I think the hoarding on the site just says development of Dog rescue centre, I wonder if they will keep the name Birmingham, I can't see why not they are just a stones throw from Birmingam Airport and Birmingham international Railway station both of which are in Bickenhill,Metropolitan borough of Solihull.
Alberta.

Last edited:
Lyn , I agree it is difficult to get to if you haven't a car but for the animals themselves it is set in green fields not in the city where they cannot be allowed to run.

It is similar to the Dogs trust at Kenilworth.

I think the hoarding on the site just says development of Dog rescue centre, I wonder if they will keep the name Birmingham, I can't see why not they are just a stones throw from Birmingam Airport and Birmingham international Railway station both of which are in Bickenhill,Metropolitan borough of Solihull.
Alberta.

morning alberta i did mean to add that i am so pleased that at least the dogs will have a nice place to run and play..that has to be a massive improvement for them...bless...like you i was also wondering if it will still be called birmingham dogs home...

I can see the advantages from the dogs point of view. It seems to be the norm nowadays. I support the Dogs Trust, and their local place is officially Newbury, but is actually about 5 miles out, and is not on a bus route (though it was once). The cards I keep getting inviting me to visit therefore go unansawered

Im glad they are moving out of brum I think of the poor dogs on firework night and new year when the fireworks are going of I have a lurcher who is frightened of fireworks

I can see the advantages from the dogs point of view. It seems to be the norm nowadays. I support the Dogs Trust, and their local place is officially Newbury, but is actually about 5 miles out, and is not on a bus route (though it was once). The cards I keep getting inviting me to visit therefore go unansawered

Mike wouldn't it be easier for you to visit the kenilworth site

Its now moved to new premises in Catherine de Barnes, all dogs have heated kennels, there is an adjacent field were they are occasionally exercised. I collected my dog Elsa, a 7 yo cross Staff from there last March, very impressed with the Kennels. Only problem is getting there if you don't have transport. Eric

I worked at Birmingham Dogs Home in the late 60s, it was grim and not just for the dogs. We did as good a job as we could, glad to see they have good premises now. I remember the Typhoo factory and the (awful) smells from the tannery!

Back