• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham City Football 1939-1945

RobertS

master brummie
Anyone know where I can get a list of players during the war years. Specifically interested in john Gill.

Thanks

Thanks Alf but

Stirred by your spirit as a Villa Fan. I have looked at the WP site and picked my way through the players. It has pre-war and post war coverage but like most of the other sites not much information on the War years. No mention of John Gill.

Have seen photograph of John Gill playing but no longer have access to it for further reference.

Anymore details however small Robert:)

Last edited by a moderator:
RobertS. As a lifelong Bluenose along with my father and grandfather I can tell you the chances of finding all players is remote. My father explained to me that because of the call-up most pros went into the forces and became PT instructors and the like. Clubs put together teams for matches using mostly guest players from anywhere. and thus many non-pros could have taken part.
I'm not sure of the registration process (if one existed) but suspect it was very haphazard and informal. Must have been quite unusual because Blues were South Champions in one year, 1945 I think, beating all the big clubs.
I shall watch this feed with interest to see if anyone can shed some light on this interesting time in Blues history.

Here you are SF its a start:)

Last edited by a moderator:
RobertS. Sorry I cant help you with your search for info about Jerry Gill, but I will look. I too am interested in players of years gone by, and only last week was surprised when the Mother of my boss at Glasgow Airport,asked me if I knew a Neil Dougall ? I told her I didnt, and she said I ought to, as he used to play for the Blues. So, when I got home, I checked up on this, and sure enough, he did play for us, between 1945-49. He appeared 93 times and scored 15 goals, and also won his only Scottish cap, whilst at the Blues. As this is the uncle of my boss, I made sure I knew a bit more now. Small world isnt it ? Like I said, I will endeavor to find out what I can about Jerry Gill, and if I uncover anything, I will be in touch. Regards, Barry.

ThanksBazzM

Thanks BazzM. Ive drawn a complete blank on John Gill, still find it difficult to believe no one kept war time records.

One for you blue noses,this is one of the many tea/bubble gum & gig cards I have.
BIRMINGHAM CITY around the 50s With Gill Merrick "goalie"
From a Villa Fan
ASTON

RobertS. Sorry, for some strange reason I said Jerry, when I know I mean John. So far I have found that he was on the team sheet for a prestigious friendly that was played at St. Andrews in November 1941, against the Czech Army. Will keep looking. Barry.

You can get a book called
soccer at war at the works bookshop
it contains afull list of all players who
played in the war for allclubs
it is by jack rollin you may be able to get it
at the library

Anyone know where I can get a list of players during the war years. Specifically interested in john Gill.

Thanks
Hi there, some years ago I used to collect the post from a publishing company in friargate Derby, and can
remember them bringing out a history of BCFC, dont know if its still in print, that is my Blues time, my brother
first took me in 1939 and I went every week til I went into the army, my best ever team; Gill, Trigg, Jennings, Mitchell, Turner Harris, Mullrany Bodle, Wilson Jones Duggal, Edwards, also Jeff Hall, Ted Duckhouse, John
Badham, oh! you are taxing my 80 year brain, Happy Days in many ways, Gill Merrick of course)Bernard
Young Trev the £M lad.ps Breedon Books the companys name

Last edited:
Hi
just to test you a bit moor my two uncles are fred harris andcyril trigg
my name is ken harris and i lived in formans road and went to formans road school

Hi
just for the record if you are stilltrying to find out about j d gill
he played 5 times in 1940-1941 and 7 times in 1942 -1943
no matches played 1941 1942 ground out of action war damage

Hi Ken, those two names certainly brought the memories flood back, hard to believe its more than 70 years since I first went to St Andrews, I remember both your uncles, and when they played Cyril at centre forward, nice to meet you anyway, Bernard

About John Gill

Thanks to Craggyken for the additional information and lencops for the links.

When the St andrews was out of use Johnny played for Coventry and Walsall,

Still seeking info, thanks again

A few years ago,I think 2007 we went to see 'Go Play Further Up your Own End' a play by our own Malcolm Stent starring Jess Conrad (a blast from the past). The theme of the play was about two families who were rival football supporters. One was Birmingham City the other Aston Villa. It was a love story a sort of Romeo and Juliet of the 60's.
On the last night they invited some veteran footballers. One was Gil Merrick.
My son collected them from their hotel and bought them to the Alexander Theater. After the show they were invited on stage, the applause was deafening. Such was their popularity.

Hi Wendy, one of your "interest" names is Jennings, Dennis Jennings played full back for Blues in the 1940s, not sure
but I think he came from Grimsby, Bernard . (very good two footed player)

Hi bernard
dennis jennings signed for blues from grimsby january 1936 also played for west brom and huddersfield born in habberley valley near kidderminster
played every position other than centre half evev in goal twice as a sub he died march 1996 age85

Hi
just to test you a bit moor my two uncles are fred harris andcyril trigg
my name is ken harris and i lived in formans road and went to formans road school
Hi Ken, I remember Fred Harris a great Half Back for Blues described in many newspapers as " the best uncapped Half Back in the league" after he finished playing he opened a sports clinic dealing with muscle problems in Warwick Rd, Acocks Green. A friend, Barry married Cyril Trigg`s daughter but they divorced many years ago. Len.

Hi len
yes you are right my cousin brenda married barry thomas .sold cars for a living they divorced a few years ago
freds sports clinic was on warwick road just up from olton hollow he treated blues players as well as many others
my cousin freddie freds son still runs the buisness and also goes to st andrews to treat the players feet

Hello Ken, My friend Barry Thomas worked as a mechanic (a good one) for Mattys Motors but always wanted to be a salesman Matty gave him the chance and he went on to sell cars on his own, i liked him as a friend. Len.

Hi len
i bought a car from barry a few years ago by the way fred harriss sister ida my aunty is still alive and living in olton
at the ripe old age of 100 i have not seen any of my cousins for about 5 years at my mothers funeral also as i am living at burnham on sea
i do get back up to brum from time to time sad to see what has become of our once great city
i would not move back for a million pounds
ken

Not strictly within the time period of the thread but I visited St. Andrews once only sometime between 1949 and 1951: I was still at school at that time - and I can't recall who the 'Blues' were playing. I have never been a association football fan and found my visit to be cold, noisy and above all difficult to watch on account of taller adults moving around and gesticulating. I had been interested to see where some of my fathers brothers(my uncles) went on Saturday afternoons and curiosity got the better of me. I recall a 'Football Special' bus ride to St. Andrews from the Broad Street area I believe. I never went again: curiosity was satisfied. lol

After the match my uncles went to my Grandmothers' house (some still lived there) and a good meal was had by all around a very large table. The radio was always on and I recall two pro grammes that were broadcast at this time. One was 'Sports Report' - giving all the football results (joys and heartbrakes), which as it happened, were a good source of geographical learning for me. Even non-aficionados likee me could always tell, by the sound of the announcers voice, when a drawn result was being given. I guess that was important for those who entered 'the Pools'. The following program was musical and about a Hansom Cab; I am sure the signature tune was sung by the late Jean Sablon.

As a non football fan it puzzled me why they only went to a football match every other week, after all they seemed so keen on it all. I knew that when 'The Blues' were not playing Aston Villa was so I made a suggestion to them. This suggestion brought about total silence and stares in my direction that were not only pained in appearance but I sensed them all being somewhat dumbstruck.

The suggestion, of course, was "the week when Birmingham City are not playing why don't you go and watch Aston Villa?" Well, I was only around twelve years old and not from a football family. lol

Hi
i can explain why supporters did not go to see the villa or blues when the first team were away.in those days each club had a first team reserves and colts.
The blues reserves played in the football combination and the villa in the central league.they always played at home when the first team were away.
These were the days when all players had to ern their money .no squads with half of them sat on their backsides. The reserves played the same amount
of matches as the first team 42. The only people who went to see both blues and villa were middle of the road supporters who went to see who was
playing the best.hope this clears this up for you

Back