• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Central Library. What do you think?

cuppateabiscuit

master brummie
I remember only a little of the revamping of Victoria Square and its surrounding area in 1993, definitely not in graphic detail and although I was 14 years old and should remember better, I cannot recall what it looked like before. How it is now, as far as my memory is concerned, is how it's always been. I have become so accustomed to the buildings that define the area that I hadn't even questioned what their function was or what may have stood in their place before them. Birmingham has been a radically changing place for the last 300 years, and that is as true today as it was during previous times. The re-building of the Bullring shopping centre is one of the most recent large re-developments, and at present, a new library is being built on a site beside the REP theatre on Centenary Square, the old library that I have always known, threatened with demolition. The buildings of the 1960's and 70's are not fashionable anymore, so many of them replaced opulent Victorian buildings that most wish the city still had, and it's hard to forgive those 'blunders' I suppose. But those Victorian buildings replaced the simple elegance of many 18th century buildings, and this has been the story of Birmingham, constantly changing its face. Will future generations regret the demolition of buildings such as Central Library, when nostalgia makes them desirable again? And even today, when general consensus seems to be towards the opinion that the Brutalist builds of the 1960's and 70's are without character or charm, we forget that they make up our history, a united bond to a place and time, surely, it is the embracing of a city's history that makes it an interesting place to live and visit. I am excited by the evolution of the city with its new developments including the library, and am looking forward to using this 21st century facility, but I do wonder whether the structure of the old library needs to be dispatched in its turn.

"For once we may congratulate Birmingham on having set down in her streets, from a foreign source, something as course and commonplace in architectural design as any of her native developments. Pots and tea-urns of abnormal dimensions are perched about on ledges and on cornices; the whole of it fussy, pretentious and totally wanting in dignity or breadth of effect" (The Builder, 1890)

This statement was made about the General Post Office (GPO) building which was completed in 1891 on what is now Victoria Square, it was never a particularly liked building, and was one of the buildings threatened with demolition during the 1960's. Under contemporary eyes the plans for Victoria Square (fig. 1) seem soulless and grid like, evoking the feeling of what it might be like to inhabit the inside of a computer. Through the efforts of The Victorian Society though, this, and many other Victorian buildings were saved during this post war re-invention. It is difficult to comprehend how it could even be contemplated for buildings such as this one to be torn down, but Birmingham’s history is one of marching ‘forward’, true to its motto, and to do this it cannot be sentimental about its past. It is understandable that Central Library does not excite sentimentality in a great number of the city’s inhabitants in its present state, but perhaps the fact that it arouses discussion makes it viable, at least viable for more deliberation. The old library cannot remain in its position with its current neglect, but pulling it down is possibly not the only option, it cannot be a library, but what else can it be? And what alterations could make it desirable for a Birmingham applying for 2013’s award of ‘City of Culture’? If there are no other solutions for the buildings future, then those who like the library will have to see it go, its memory, like so many buildings of the city preserved in photographs alone, but it would be a shame to let it go without looking for alternative solutions.

originalplanduo.jpg

I accept that you think that the library should be preserved, but there is a little difference between it and the older Victorian buildings that were recklessly destroyed. The older city buildings (as opposed to many of the back to backs etc) were well built and designed. One can scarcely say that of the present library building. It is inconvenient to use, badly built, and, as i understand , an awful place to work. The "designers" were more interested in their vision of the outside look than in its use as a building. The flood that I gather damaged a lot of records was down to incompetant design. If it does stay it will probably start dropping pieces on peoples heads in a few years. What does worry me is that any replacement might be just as bad - a short term thing to flatter the ego of the "architect" (if that is not too complimentary a term to describe him), rahter than a well designed building to use as a library that will last

I think one of the major reasons for getting rid of the existing library (at least as far as the council are concerned) is that it currently provides a barrier between the "city centre" (New St, Victoria square, Bull ring etc) and the facilities the "other side" (ICC, Symphony Hall, NIA etc).

They want to remove the existing library and "open up" the whole area so there is a large wide walking route through the area, connecting the city centre with the west of the centre.

Of course the fact that the site of the existing library is prime expensive city centre land (that they can sell) may also have something to do with it.

In fact I seem to remember reading somewhere they have already sold the site of the current library.

Not many pictures make we want to cry, but this one does.

It is Masons College, which was roughly on the site of the existing library

https://epapers.bham.ac.uk/321/1/bb0150.jpg

Pity it was destroyed by the Germans during the second world war (well it must have been, I cant think anyone would actually KNOCK it down through choice !!) :)

There are lots of pictures of the 60s central library and Midland Institute on here. The town hall hid a gem of a building that was beautifully appointed inside and a pleasure to use. This building and Masons college and the Art Gallery formed a centre to be proud of. No it was not the Germans. There is a drawing of the buildings that were destroyed to build the Town Hall which give some idea of the area before even this.

I realised that 53. I just did not signify so. Have you seen the pictures/sketches on here mentioned, dating back to before the Town Hall and Old Central Library? If not I will try to find them and post in a grouping.

If forwards is over a cliff...backwards might be a valid sentiment.

I remember going on a school visit to the original Central Library in about 1960? with the spiral staircase in it's original position and looking at the old newspapers not on film but the actual newspapers. Spent many extended lunch hours in the early 90's researching my family history on the 6th and 7th floors and the escalators where always broken

cuppateabiscuit, Hi, put in search "new library" and browse, you find some interesting threads on there. Len.

The reference library reading room was the one with the spiral staircase and I believe there were more than one, but I would not swear to it. Masons College, along with Norwich Union Chambers were both demolished in 1963 - not during the war, but I can imagine there may have been some damage. the Old lending and reference library were demolished in 1974. I had left Birmingham by then, but do rememer that the man who gave the go ahead to demolish the library and also Snow Hill Station, did, not too long after, say he was sorry and that he recognised he had done the City a bad turn. Although this is only an artists impression, the picture attached was a Christmas card commissioned by Pinsents in the early 1990's, which I simply could not throw away. I think it is quite delightful, showing Chamberlain Square as it should still be. Shortie, with a tear in my eye for all the lovely lost Birmingham buildings.View attachment 48009

Not sure if this is the right place, but attached are two pictures from the building of the present library
Mike

building_paradise_circus_libraryA.jpg

building_paradise_circus_library_2A.jpg

John
I seem to remember some time ago someone said that the space for it was built underground, but it was never completed, and was just a hollowed out space. I wouldn't swear to it though. I expect some of our bus enthusiasts will have something to say.
Mike

I agree with Mike, it was built but never used, I seem to remember it was something to do with a safety aspect.

Back