• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

IMG_1499.jpeg

1975 METROPOLITAN 74-seater bus. MCW.

“Originally known as the Metro-Scania, the Metropolitan is an integral construction bus with transverse rear mounted Scania 11.1-litre 6-cylinder diesel engine.”

Well, Banjo, I think he was about to board the bus in post 2197. The bus was JOJ 701. The bus in post 2205 is a different bus but I agree he does appear to be the same person.

IMG_2720.jpeg

Birmingham City Transport received 15 of these RT-type Regents in 1947, with Park Royal 54-seat bodies. No 1634, seen when new, demonstrates the rather uneasy match of contemporary London and Birminghan ideas.”

(The classic buses by Booth, Gavin. Publication date 1976.)

In my opinion these vehicles 1631 GOE 631 - 1645 GOE 645 were the ugly ducklings of the post WW2 BCT fleet. I think my views were shared by the Transport Committee as no further buses to that design were ordered.

I think these were the most elegant, pay as you enter, too!
1930 Guy 'Conquest' models, they replaced the Bolton Rd trams.

View attachment 67918

The link now fails, but could this be a picture…

“one of 30 normal-control Conquests with 25 seats supplied to Birmingham Corporation. The latter were used as tram replacements and were soon rebuilt to forward-control. Author's Collection.

(British buses before 1945 by Aldridge, John. Publication date 1995.)

IMG_2737.jpeg

Where was the gas stored on the bus? I recall the wartime ones with a trailer and cars with a gasbag on the roof.
From Lloyd in 2010' on a thread called 'Coal gas Bus 1933

It is one of these that was used in conjunction with the Gas department's experiments, No 60 (OF 3969), the highly compressed gas being stored in cylinders under the rear of the bus at a considerable 3000 lb/psi. The experiment could not have held the promise it offered, whereby the city produced its own bus fuel, and 60 was converted back to petrol.

Back