• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

Cornering like that was even more dramatic if there was a pram or case stored on the platform!! If you were lucky it would remain in one piece when it slid off onto the road :shocked:

Not unknown for passengers or even conductors to make an ungainly exit from the platform that way, as well!

cartoon_bus_driver_CoolClips_cart0262.jpg
Thank you Lloyd i get there one day .
ragga :)

I think these were better looking than the tigers ............ ragga :)[/QUOTE]

Can you really compare different eras though. Rather than the rectangular boxes we now have, I prefer the classic halfcab with rear entrance , as those were the buses I grew up with but they are impracticable today. The Daimler single deckers were considered contraversial in their day as they were double decker Fleetlines with a single decker body. Definition of a bungalow, "A house on which you bung a low roof"

I think these were the most elegant, pay as you enter, too!
1930 Guy 'Conquest' models, they replaced the Bolton Rd trams.

57  OF 3966.jpg57  OF 3966  interior.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place, but as I previously posted my grandad drove buses, mom says as well as a 45, up the Walsall Road, but he also used to do the London run in the war and as they had to stay overnight, had to do firefighting and incendiary clearing duties while they were in London.Mom thinks she still has a "day diary", which Grandad had to record in, if she can find it will scan it in.
Sue
Sue

Senior moment! Sorry, forgot to press 'reply with quote' to ragga, no, I'm the old bloke driving the single deck Fleetline at Stoke.:redface:

Senior moment! Sorry, forgot to press 'reply with quote' to ragga, no, I'm the old bloke driving the single deck Fleetline at Stoke.:redface:

Thanks Mike obviously the fames gone to your head was it Warhole who said "we all have our moment of fame" I,m still waiting for mine.Dek:D:D:D

View attachment 67935

Growing up in Birmingham 1950s/60s there was no place called Bangham Pit well ,
not to my knowledge there wasan`t , when did it come about ? and why was it
called Bangham Pit ?? its such a strange name .
ragga :)

hi ragga quie right you are and i can tell you that wastaken up kennisington rd selly park
more or less facing the big house up that was owned by the mr filmore architect up kennisington rd and the long big wall you can see running down along the bus
goes a fair way back down thje rd and its the garden and grounds of the covent that is situated at the top of the rd and on the corner of selly park rd beleive it or not
i can recall that bus standing there eery now and then with no driver in it so i i think the driver had poped home for lunch it was always after lunch time or may be mid day ;
as i used to visit the fimoreshouse hold whom i had known for thirty years or more sadly these elderly couplepassed away many years ago now
and the far distance at the bottom on your left there was a couple of little bunolows and the rd across the bottom is pershore rd
behind that huge wall are rows and rows of burial plots and with grave stones where the sisters are and was burried as they passed away ;
you can take it from me that was most definately kennsington rd i did not have to think about it it was in my mnd as quick as a flash that was in the seventys
be3st wishes astonian

I did spot one error in the 'Oldclassiccar' web page - detailing Devon registrations - where it mentions 'interpretation of registrations'. I quotes a vehicle registration 638 (or similar) GOD. Well, as the list will confirm, in addition to the usual omissions of first letters I, O and Z the first letters G and S were not issued as being offensive.

The letter G brings to mind a Fleetline? of the series GOGxxxN which ran in South Devon after it was withdrawn from service in the Midlands. I think it stay was short. Memory tells me it was at the early days of the infamous 'de-regulation'. Burton Cars - later Burtons of Brixham ran the vehicle but whether they actually owned it I can't say.

I never knew where Bangham Pit was either. There is a folk band in Birmingham called Mad Jocks and Englishmen, I think they are still going although I have not heard them for a few years who used to ask in their act "Does anyone know where Bangham Pit is?"

Especially for John, here a 5 more pictures of 296, courtesy of photos received from the late Kevin Saunders.
Pictures1,2 and 4 are copyrighted by 2489 group and A.B.Cross

the No.24....My favorite bus route!!! Never been the same since they renamed it the No.2.... can anybody identify where each of the photos were taken?

So Bangham Pit is quite an historical name after all. It is on a destination blind that I bought for Fleetline 4130 which will be fitted when it's eventually restored. I also think its a great name, lots of Birmingham bus routes ended up at lovely sounding destinations, Druid's Heath is another of my favourites.

I had a mate who moved to bangham pit from bartly green, his dad worked atthe rubery hospital, we would meet up some times at the lickeys.
paul

As the 21 to Bangham Pit no longer runs I thought I would ask www.transportdirect.info how I would get from Harborne to Bangham Pit. It told me to get the 29 from Harborne to Barnes Hill/Alwood Road then walk 1.1 miles across Senneleys Park. Somehow I don't think that is right.

the No.24....My favorite bus route!!! Never been the same since they renamed it the No.2.... can anybody identify where each of the photos were taken?

(Post #230)
I'll have a go...

1) Yardley Wood Rd/ Coldbath Rd jcn (now an island).
2) Baldwins Lane terminus, The Baldwin PH.
3) Yardley Wood Garage.
4) Stratford Rd, not exactly sure where, but an area rebuilt now.
5) Bull St, Lewis's store towering above the bus.

Last edited:
Back