• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham buses

The 99 route, using new-look buses with the three track numeral box as the single destination blind was unusable, was not a success. It lasted only until 15th. May after three months service.
A later 99 route was introduced in April 1967 called the Rubery Express. It was a limited stop service an originally used single deck buses and later double deck buses. It was passed to WMPTE - for whom I have little interest.

Hi,

And later still, the 99 route from Lanchester Way Smiths Wood to the city Centre.

It had a special L shaped roadway built into the corner of Lanchester Way and
Auckland Drive for the buses to turn and park, and a Bundy Clock.

The Bundy clock went many years ago, but as I left in 2017 I don't know if the
99 is still running.

Kind regards
Dave

Ted Bott's last duty seems to be on 14 route with Crossley GOE 647 - 1647 - which was a complete bus, chassis, engine and bodywork supplied from Crossley. There were 10 supplied (1646 - 1655) but 1647 was unique in having features, such as sliding windows, instead the previous wind down ones which were to be found on BCT buses in the future. The bus was to exhibition standard and new in June 1949. It was withdrawn in June 1964.

Back