• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Buses Part 2

Great photos once again Ragga,particuarly 2824 just about to go throu
gh the intersection on Yardley Wood Rd. and into garage, done that a few times myself.

1.jpg2.jpg(3).jpg

Couple more from the dump , can someone with more knowledge than me , when i use to tour
these yards in the late 1960s i remember that all the fleet numbers on the 2 side and rear were
painted out as you can see on photo 3 crossley 2381 has been blacked out .
what was the real reasons for this ??
ragga :fat:

westley road.jpg

I have very fond memories of Acock Green having lived there early 1970s
Although this photo must be very early 1960s ??

Another fascinating shot - Westley Rd with Acocks Green garage in the background, and I had forgotten about those "ring road" signs on the lamposts at various points round the outer circle.

Couple more from the dump , can someone with more knowledge than me , when i use to tour
these yards in the late 1960s i remember that all the fleet numbers on the 2 side and rear were
painted out as you can see on photo 3 crossley 2381 has been blacked out .
what was the real reasons for this ??

All signs of ownership were removed, the 'legal owner' name on the front NS panel, fleet numbers and the city coat of arms were all painted out. If the bus was seen driving round the city inspectors would know it was a sold one. When we started restoring and rallying Birmingham Buses we couldn't display a coat of arms at first, but that was soon, er, forgotten.

A rare shot of pre-war Daimler CVP 207 at Bird's scrapyard, Stratford. It was bought for preservation a day or two after that and is now at Wythall museum in fully restored condition.

Last edited:
My recollection of the No 6 route is seeing a long line of people walking the approx 50 yards between the Midland Reds oposite the Bear Hotel in Three Shires Oak Road to the No 6 Terminus at Poplar Road, Sandon Road every morning. After the No 6 was taken off in WMPTE days after the Midland Red routes were absorbed, I did continue to see ex BCT buses running in Sandon Road in rush hours showing the no. 9E.

Coming back from +Birmingham today after getting off the train at Kidderminster, there was the No 6 Sandon Road bus parked there.

7760670748_2758d53bee_b.jpgCaroline ...... beings you never took a photo of what you saw at kidderminster .
would this be it ??

Ragga, yes thats the one - any idea why it was there. Caught that number 6 a few times from the Ivy Bush up to my Aunt who lived just off Stanmore Road.

My guess would be that it was hired to take a party from Birmingham to the Severn Valley Railway. I was in a party a few years ago which hired a Mildnad Red D9 (a much more appropriate vehicle) to do that trip. I would put up a photo of that event if I knew how to do so. I have clicked on the link at the top of the page many times and just get a blank black screen

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

No 1 photo is my fav :pride: the roof is the part of the body you dont normally see , and No 4 photo 2847
I cannot remember if i ever caught that bus ever but i have heard that its still in preservation .

2847 was almost certainly the most accident prone bus in the fleet being involved in quite a number of minor and a few major mishaps. It will be great to see it eventually emerge restored.

7887676412_6a8cfbfa5e_b.jpg
Found this photo online of a broken down bus over the weekend and the pub the Golden Cross in the back ground
has through me a little , can anyone verify the location .
Thank you ........ ragga :fat:

I think it is most definitely Metchley Lane as looking at the picture again on the left hand side there are steps which used to lead to a convenience store.

2847 was almost certainly the most accident prone bus in the fleet being involved in quite a number of minor and a few major mishaps. It will be great to see it eventually emerge restored.

Not sure if I've posted this before but here goes. Back in the middle sixties we had a driver called Mick Delaney who worked for Bham Corporation Transport. He started work for Stocklands straight from BCT as a coach driver, his duties often included the overnight South Devon summer service, every time he returned the Front N/S of the coach was extensively damaged due to him hitting the Bailey bridge at Cullumpton, it took us some weeks before we realised why this was happening, the reason being that BCT deckers were 7ft 6inch wide and our coaches were 8ft wide, he left shortly after. His nickname was near side Delaney, hope he's still with us.

Definitely Harborne Park Road junction of Metchley Lane and Vincent Drive. Bus was probably being towed to Selly Oak Garage. Pub was known as the Snooty Fox before reverting to its old name of the Golden Cross.

Thank you Caroline and everyone else, i do recall it now , i only drove pass there
last Friday going to moseley ( wasan`t it called the lazy fox ) oh well its flats now .
Thank you ,........ragga :fat:

yes indeed and i personally think its a building of an eye sore i used to drink in there and i lived in the block across the rd
from the lazy fox but i must admitt it did go down hill and started to loose money
the block i lived in for many years started to go down hil and as the older generatio started to p[ass away the council bought them
and started to move in undesireables most weks there would be the druggies and alcholies standing in the door way entrane begging
or you got mugged for what ever you had on you
you would be scared to go to sleep at night for the fear of your front door being kicked in
it was a nice block in the fifties all flats was privately owned and they was the foirst private blocke to have built in balconyies
thats the reason i moved out and came to worcestershire and never regretted it
best wishes astonian ;;

Back