• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birch, hedley, chambers, silk

judith allport

master brummie
I'm researching my husbands family. His grandmother was Ada Ivy Birch b 11.11.1914 who married Thomas Henry Silk on 28.10.1932. Ada's parents were John William Birch who ? died about 1949. He married at least twice. 1st wife ? who and had two children by her ? Nellie and Thomas. He married also Frances Hedley who ? died in 1928. I believe that they had George, William, Florence (who married James Chambers) in ? 1931, and Ada Ivy. Any information with dates of birth, marriages, dates of death, where they lived would be very helpful. Many thanks:)

I'm researching my husbands family. His grandmother was Ada Ivy Birch b 11.11.1914 who married Thomas Henry Silk on 28.10.1932. Ada's parents were John William Birch who ? died about 1949. He married at least twice. 1st wife ? who and had two children by her ? Nellie and Thomas. He married also Frances Hedley who ? died in 1928. I believe that they had George, William, Florence (who married James Chambers) in ? 1931, and Ada Ivy. Any information with dates of birth, marriages, dates of death, where they lived would be very helpful. Many thanks:)
Sorry but I think Elizabeth Hedley should read Isabella Condor Hedley and I think John Birch married her in 1904. Also ? he was born 1883 in Birmingham.:sleepy:

Last edited:
I have found out John married twice 1 Elizabeth Crow nee Perks in 1905 and 2? Eliza Sarah Mead in 1937. Eliza was born ? 1889 and ? died c 1950. She was married previously. Is it possible she had children with her 1st husband who was Francis Michael gough 1879-1932. They married 1912.

Hi Judith, don't know if this is any help but my mum's brother John KILROY maried Rose SILK (nee ROOKE) in Birmingham in 1949. She was a widow as her husband William SILK was in the Royal Navy and was killed when HMS Charybdis was sunk during WW2. William (Billy) had a brother named Robert who was also killed during WW2 but by a bomb explosion in Birmingham. Rose had named her only son Robert after him. John and Rose had a daughter together - Madeleine KILROY.
Lizzie.

Thank you Lizzie. I knew about William and Robert's death but I did not know who Mr Kilroy was or when Minnie Rose Rooke remarried. I certainly didnt know about Madeleine Kilroy. I have sent you a private message. Many thanks for the information. I am keen to know more. Judith

The former MP and televion presenter Robert Kilroy-Silk is the son of William Silk and Rose Rooke,my husbands family has a connection to them because William is from the Silk 'coffee house' family and my husbands aunt married George Silk.
They had coffee houses around the Lupin st,Henry st, Coleman street area in the early 1900s.
If you search Silk in the search box you will find more info.

Thank you Alberta,
My husband is linked thru Thomas Silk- Sarah Ann Simkins, then Harry Silk b 1888 line. Which George are your husband's family linked with ? G Silk-Amy Stevens or G Silk Harriet Hughes(Jones)? or maybe another one. I would be interested to know more about the link. Best wishes. Judith

Should have said my husbands great aunt.She was Amy Stevens and her sister Sophia Swingewood a widow formerly Stevens married my husbands grandfather
Joseph Taylor.
Joseph was a bit of a scoundrel and when Sophia died he abandoned the children for another woman and George Silk and Amy gave them a home in Lupin street.

I think George was a bit of a character too. He used to run a betting shop under the guise of something else I believe.

I am curious if you know who John William Birch's parents were? I am researching my Birch line and have little info

John Birch c 01.1856 and Annie Jackson c 1860-1918. tHEY MARRIED 10.1877
John's parents were William Birch 30.11.1834-01.05.1915 and Elizabeth Walker 12.1838-09.1858. He married c 03.1856(1st marriage) but he married 4 times in all. I have 2 more generations if you want them. PM me if so.

I have George Thomas Silk born 18/12/1910 Aston son of George Silk of 108 Henry Street Coffee house proprietor. This George Thomas Silk married Phyllis Margaret Ashburner 2/9/1937 Birmingham Register Office his father was deceased The marriage was witnessed by B W Wendle and G H Wendle. I have not done any reseach on Silk name only the Ashburner side but thought it might be some connection to you Silk family. Also when I was growing up there was a Mrs Silk living in Kitts Green Road.

Yes, both Georges are in my tree. Were there any children from The Ashburner /Silk marriage as I have no details and would appreciate them? Many thanks.
Judith
I have George Thomas Silk born 18/12/1910 Aston son of George Silk of 108 Henry Street Coffee house proprietor. This George Thomas Silk married Phyllis Margaret Ashburner 2/9/1937 Birmingham Register Office his father was deceased The marriage was witnessed by B W Wendle and G H Wendle. I have not done any reseach on Silk name only the Ashburner side but thought it might be some connection to you Silk family. Also when I was growing up there was a Mrs Silk living in Kitts Green Road.

My aunt Olive was married to Philip Kilroy, John Kilroys was his brother,Robert Kilroy Silks step father. I used to play with Robert and Madaline when I was a child.
Judith PM me.

Hi Judith sorry to have taken so long in answering you question. I did find 2 births for this marriage on free bmd.
Pauline Silk born 1938 2Q 6d 454 Birmingham
Jill Silk born 1949 2Q 9c 1114 Birmingham
That,s all I know of them as I was only concerned with Ashburner name.

Back